Forum Member

Default i need training ideas for farm rescue

OK here is my question for you all. my dept. jurisdiction is composed of rural and urban environments so we have a few farm rescue situations through out the year metal grain bin rescues concrete grain bin rescues PTO entanglements etc. what i am wanting from you guys is training ideas some tactics and maybe some links to some websites for training materials. feel free to give me some scenarios you guy have encountered in your careers and let me know how you guys attacked the situation what tools you used and whatever else you guys want to throw in. thanks

Forum Member

Morning! Thoughts on rural drills...hmmmm.....not only rescue, but general drills too.....

For starters, how about some farm visits with the farmer/owner showing the different equipment typically found on a farm (Augers, bins, silos, tractors etc) - especially if you have people in your department who are NOT familiar with farm machinery.....control locations for things like barn clean out (if dairy barn).....How to turn off the PTO on different brands/models of equipment.....

If someone has an old tractor or other piece of equipment, how about stabilization of an overturned piece of equipment? Water supply operations.......check loading of different buildings - hay/grain storage - where are animals.....maybe a fire safety walk through with recommendations given for improving fire safety in a barn....last but not least, animal rescue......

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Check out www.farmedic.com. They put on training classes involving rescue and medical scenarios dealing with farm machinery. One of our guys went to it a few years ago and said it was very good.

Check them out and see if maybe they're putting on a class in your area anytime soon.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Without knowing your instructors, I'd recommend making sure whatever training you do is by qualified and experienced instructors. I've seen some departments that get the local implement guy show them how to perform a rescue from a baler or other machine. While he may know the product, getting someone out of it (or out from underneath it) is far from his area of expertise.

The same goes with silos, bins, etc.

Forum Member

You don't say where your located so I don't know who controls your training.

Check out this link...

http://imis-ext.osufpp.org/imispubli....aspx?catid=13

Vehicle and Machinery Rescue DVD / Item Number 37692

Some State Fire Schools teach this class. This is from IFSTA (Oklahoma State University)

You might also check out NFPA 1006- Standard for Technical Rescuer Professional Qualifications

Piece of Advice: If you are not an IFSTA or ProBoard Certified Instructor (NFPA1041/1051), you are risking alot if you teach this class and do not follow the safety guidelines. Some States do recognize the Chief as the Training Officer of the Department, but usually, that does not provide personal liability protection.

I really urge you to find a Certified Instructor through the Fire MArshal or State Fire School.
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 03-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

What state are you in?

Also, talk to your local implements, and farm equipment dealers. They can usually give you some pretty good "tours" on equipment and the new stuff on them. Talk to co-ops and farmers, just to look at different types of augers, bins, dryers, etc.. By knowing the background on these things, even without simulating a situation, things can work out a lot better if it actually does happen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Check out www.farmedic.com. They put on training classes involving rescue and medical scenarios dealing with farm machinery. One of our guys went to it a few years ago and said it was very good.

Check them out and see if maybe they're putting on a class in your area anytime soon.

I took that class 12 or so years ago and found it to be very informative, well worth the time.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Might talk to Dan Neenan at National Education Center for Agricultural Safety (NECAS). You tax $ at work.

http://www.necasag.org/

Forum Member

http://www.farmemergencies.psu.edu/MAEindex.html
    This is the course that is run through Penn State University. This course has been set up by two of the founding members of the FarMedic program. It has been expanded to include several modules on everything from barn fires, large animal rescue, tractors, implements, confined spaces, hazardous materials, and others.

We have taken this program to Ohio, NH, IL, and other areas. There is contact information on the website. They will get information back to you if you would like it.

Thread Information