Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Forum Member

Default firefighter exchange program, Ireland

Hi,

I am an irish fulltime firefighter

If you are interested in a 12 month exchange, and you are bringing with you a small family (wife 'n a few kids) then maybe our jobs AND our homes will be compatible.

A few points:
    • I thought originally that your spouse would struggle to obtain a visa to work (at least to work officially). But i checked immigration and if you were successful in your exchange application both you and your spouse (or girlfriend / boyfriend) would be given a visa too
    • I would consider most places (USA, Canada, Oz, NZ et al), especially somewhere within reasonable distance to a ski slope! eg CO, USA. My wife is from NY upstate and we would go there too(saratoga springs) If you like surfing, countryside, easy laidback living, great place for kids, and the odd night out in the town then you will like this place. (also on the doorstep of an airport and cheap flights to many european destinations)
    • You need to be fulltime and experienced for at least four years.(this is an exchange rule, not mine)
    • I am not looking to exchange right away - prob ready to move 2012, it takes ages (apparently) to organise an exchange among two fire departments - as well as taking kids from school etc etc so i am posting this early.
    • you PROBABLY will not have to go through probey school again, i am trying to negotiate that your experience will mean you can learn the differences in procedures, scba etc etc, "in-house" and be fully operational in about two weeks (i know that sounds attractive!)

so if you are interested email me

craicmac@yahoo.ie

thanks
    mac
    Last edited by uiscemac; 06-02-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: EMAIL ADDRESS

Worldwide Menace

I've heard of career exchanges like this, but have never seen it happen for anyone within the United States. Best of luck though!

-Damien

Forum Member

Cheers damien,

it HAS happened for americans in europe. I could be a good candidate cos my wife is an american citizen.

MembersZone Subscriber

is there a easy way for me just to move there, and work as a firefighter in Ireland with several years experience working in America?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    is there a easy way for me just to move there, and work as a firefighter in Ireland with several years experience working in America?
    Depends on how loosely they use the term "several".
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

hi,
    not really an 'easy' way - i think your qualifications wouldnt be recognised at an irish fire dept no more than mine would be at an american fire dept. you would have to apply, same as your average joe, and go through fire school again.. obviously in your application your experience would be a massive boost but thats about it.

i do know of permanent swops having taken place within the irish system but i cant imagine the odds on you getting some kind of permanent swop with an irish firefighter.

Our respective qualifications would be recognised in a temporary fashion during an exchange program to allow such exchanges to take place which could be a catalyst for different fire depts (and firefighters themselves) learning how the other side operates.

anyways, wouldnt you be better off trying an exchange to see if ireland is the kinda place you wanna live and work permanently?

mac

MembersZone Subscriber

okay... several=7... that solve that problem?

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

on a shorter term i would like to extend invitation for anyone interested in doing a summer vacation house swop (with another firefighter's family home).

The idea being that in the summer of 2011 we coordinate our respective summer leave and swop houses for the duration (say 2 weeks). For a permanent exchange i am mostly interested in the USA, but for a two week vacation i would consider anywhere

just an idea

mac
    Last edited by uiscemac; 03-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Member

hello again,

i thought i would include this link to an application form for a fire fighter exchange - just to let you know whats involved. most depts across the world have similar requirements to this one

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...program-f.aspx

the exchanges tend to last somewhere between 6 - 12 months, and while there seems to be a bit of work involved in making the exchange happen it has the potential to be a massively positive experience: good socially, good professionally in your career ahead.

anyways my inbox still lies in wait of a firefighter interested in exchanging jobs and homes temporarily and coming to see what its like to be a firefighter in ireland

email me craicmac@yahoo.ie
    mac
    Last edited by uiscemac; 03-15-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Forum Member

okay... several=7... that solve that problem?
    Somebody's mad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow... that was a long time for you to respond to that...

someone musta been thinking of that one for a while now

Forum Member

I've been busy.

Forum Member

johnny and jhr,
    lads, this is a thread aboutme trying to find an exchange partner suitable for swop to Ireland.

What you two are on about perhaps belongs on a different discussion board.

Also to let anyinterested parties know that i contacted the irish immigration dept today and they are due back to me in early april about the time frame it would take a firefighter to obtain a visa to work in ireland AND the posibilities of your spouse being able to obtain any kind of work permit while your family is in ireland.

There have beenvery few interested parties and fewer still of those that i could consider a swop with (alot of volunteers but few fulltimers).

You pension and your rent/mortgage etc can still be taken care of while you are in ireland - so dont hesitate to reply to me and set a ball rolling

mac

Forum Member

For those interested how the exchange works financially i enclose copy of a section titled 'salaries and conditions' from the link i enclosed above in an earlier message:

Exchange Partners will remain in the employ of their Fire Service. They continue to receive
    their own salaries whilst they are overseas, with continuing deductions (including mortgage
    and insurances) as applicable. This arrangement can not be varied under this Program as
    any changes to this will result in the requirement of different criteria to gain entry into other
    countries and have tax implications.
    Where rates of exchange vary widely, it is recommended that the two Exchange Partners
    come to a financial agreement which will ensure the exchange is viable for both parties.
    Ensure agreements are in writing and a copy lodged with your coordinator.
    Overtime payment methods need to be negotiated by the employers and this is addressed in
    the Deed of Exchange. There are wide variations in opportunities and conditions for overtime
    between Fire Services.

So who is up for it?
    If you know of anyone at your station with a few kids that may have a bit of irish blood in them and may want to go to the 'old country' or just someone with a bit of adventure in them then pass on my details.

thanks
    mac

Forum Member

A general question:

With reference to Canada and the U.S. does each state or province have its own firefighting model or are they universal/federal?
    I ask because I would need to find an exchange partner from a brigade that doesnt do ambulance (in dublin the fire brigade run the ambulances - so a firefighter is also a paramedic, but in my home station , limerick, the model is different - we solely concentrate on fire and rescue) .

Anyone that can answer that i would be grateful, so i know what areas are best suited to do an exchange with

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uiscemac View Post
    A general question:

With reference to Canada and the U.S. does each state or province have its own firefighting model or are they universal/federal?
    I ask because I would need to find an exchange partner from a brigade that doesnt do ambulance (in dublin the fire brigade run the ambulances - so a firefighter is also a paramedic, but in my home station , limerick, the model is different - we solely concentrate on fire and rescue) .

Anyone that can answer that i would be grateful, so i know what areas are best suited to do an exchange with
    We are the furthest from a universal fire service. Each locality sets its own rules. Career, volunteer, and combination departments are all over the country. Each state, or even more local governments if the state does not have any, set their own rules. You see fire burns differently on each coast.

Good luck in your search.

Forum Member

johnny and jhr,
    lads, this is a thread aboutme trying to find an exchange partner suitable for swop to Ireland.

What you two are on about perhaps belongs on a different discussion board.
    It's a joke. You'll live.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    It's a joke. You'll live.
    fair enough,
    point taken.

also lxfd : thanks for the heads up
    i guess it means i should just apply to any dept and hope for the best

Forum Member

If you're not totally opposed to Houston, the Public Information Office would probably be the best people to contact. Also, our local has a website and they might be helpful. l341.org.

Forum Member

cheers johnny,
    will do.

I am looking at the states and canada as possibilities.
    I dont really know if american fire depts allow exchanges.. but i cant see why they wouldnt, theres always something to be learned.

even though my wife is american - i am not quit sure how i would get on with the INS - those immigration people and me have had our problems in the past. . . although considering they let me in to america the last two times maybe we are getting on better
    Last edited by uiscemac; 03-14-2010 at 02:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

cheers johnny,
    will do.

I am looking at the states and canada as possibilities.
    I dont really know if american fire depts allow exchanges.. but i cant see why they wouldnt, theres always something to be learned.

even though my wife is american - i am not quit sure how i would get on with the INS - those immigration people and me have had our problems in the past. . . although considering they let me in to america the last two times maybe we are getting on better
    uisemac, you might try e mailing FD in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Grand Prairie and Ft MacMurray Alberta. Been quite a time since I retired but some may be interested. All Alberta depts operate pretty well the same. Medical is a pretty big focus on most though, but for an exchange, something could probably be done.
    Best of Luck
    Bryan

Forum Member

Mac...E=mail me station11c@yahoo.com, florida fd....might work

Forum Member

i am at work tonight johnnyH so i will email you then.

remember i am looking to participate in an exchange in 2011 or 2012, which i think will suit people with kids even more.

Forum Member

alright johnny?
    i am at work at the mo, quiet night thus far -
    i sent you an email - hope you got it.

kind regards
    mac

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    uisemac, you might try e mailing FD in Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Grand Prairie and Ft MacMurray Alberta. Been quite a time since I retired but some may be interested. All Alberta depts operate pretty well the same. Medical is a pretty big focus on most though, but for an exchange, something could probably be done.
    Best of Luck
    Bryan
    thanks bryan

thats a good heads up, appreciated

mac

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information