firefighter exchange program to ireland
I am an irish fulltime firefighter , working and living in west ireland.
If you are interested in a 12 month exchange, and you are bringing with you a small family (wife 'n a few kids) then maybe our jobs AND our homes will be compatible.
A few points:
* I think your spouse would struggle to obtain a visa to work (at least to work officially). So if you are hoping for you both to work you will proibably be disappointed. (i reckon that goes for all of europe, not 100% sure. i will ring our immigration offices next week.)
* I would consider most places (USA, Canada, Oz, NZ et al), especially somewhere within reasonable distance to a ski slope! eg CO, USA.(i have my eye on CO, was visiting there only last month, its a great place) My wife is from NY upstate and we would go there too(saratoga springs) If you like surfing, countryside, easy laidback living, great place for kids, and the odd night out in the town then you will like this place. (also on the doorstep of an airport and cheap flights to many european destinations)
* You need to be fulltime and experienced for at least four years.(this is an exchange rule, not mine)
* I am not looking to exchange right away - prob ready to move 2012, it takes ages (apparently) to organise an exchange among two fire departments - as well as taking kids from school etc etc so i am posting this early.
* you PROBABLY will not have to go through probey school again, i am trying to negotiate that your experience will mean you can learn the differences in procedures, scba etc etc, "in-house" and be fully operational in about two weeks (i know that sounds attractive!)
so if you are interested email me