Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Fire Extinguisher trainer

We were just awarded our FP&S grant and have a fire extinguisher trainer in the grant. We are using the Bullex system as a model for what we want and have done alot of looking and have not seen anything else on the market that is even close. I just want to make sure and meet my obligation to get alternate pricing , if it exists. Does any one know of another company or is this completely a single source item?

Forum Member

Unless your local area requires a full bid writeup in the paper and all that good stuff then DHS considers a bid to be a price for a product. As long as you have more than one vendor represented for the generic term "fire extinguisher trainer" then jsut document why you went with the BullEx system, such as features for the price, ease of use, or whatever it might be. Keep the other quotes on file in case they're ever needed. If no one else makes a system then it's not our issue, it's a free country and if some companies are making a conscious decision not to make products then we have to buy from the one that is.

Forum Member

Ok, thanks. We have emailed bullex asking for a dealer list in order to obtain competitive bids. I don't believe they have dealers but at least I can use their reply in my folder for documentation.

Forum Member

If there's only 1 name brand it's not an open bid, which is why you have to have the other vendor information in there also. As long as an evaluation process was done in choosing one name brand over the other then it's compliant. Only rare instances where sole source is valid, this isn't one of them. Others make live burn pans, propane fired, etc, so those are the folks the prices need to come from. Still can buy the BullEx, just have to have the right paperwork in the right spot in case DHS asks who else you looked at.

Which of course might not be hard since you're the lone SW IL FP awardee so far.

Forum Member

Actually our narrative requested a digital alternative in order to expand our current program both indoors and year round. In the past we have brought a metal trash can and newspaper on the rig. It has worked but very messy dealing with burnt paper and extinguisher residue everywhere. We will get some quotes from vendors using alternative fuel sources. Thanks for the info

Forum Member

Didn't realize you requested the laser-only version, then no need to even get multiple prices from their dealers. Still considered sole-source in that case since no one else makes one.

Forum Member

BFD 1205 can you share your narrative with me for the fire extinguisher trainer? I am looking into adding one into our next grant.

Thanks

ems142@roadrunner.com

If you are willing to share I would like to take a look at your narrative also. The person in charge of FP&S grants last year only did a half hearted job and we have a new guy heading that particular grant. Since we have been looking at this very piece of equipment it would be nice for him to see a winner.

Congratulations by the way.

kschroeder@cloquetafd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

can you share your narrative with me for the fire extinguisher trainer. Thank You
    danwill@jamadots.com

Forum Member

If I may, can I also get a copy of the winning narrative? I applied two years ago and was rejected, I would like to compaire and see where I can pick up some pointers. Thanks
    firedog@newwavecomm.net
    God made firefighters so cops can have a hero

Forum Member

I will send the narrative to all of you that asked, it will be next Tuesday before I will be back on duty.

If you could spare one more narrative request for the trainer. abvette@verizon.net

Brian

Forum Member

can you send me your narrative also. fao110@yahoo.com

Forum Member
    illinois, and finally about to start construction

Me too if you do not mind. fire1544@hotmail.com. also where in sw il are you????? im in sc il

Forum Member

Default requests

Im in Belleville and will send copies out on Monday to all that ask when I am back at the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wouldn't mind seeing your narrative myself. I've been working on a project for the last three grant cycles with no luck. Actually had it removed from one of my grants. If you wouldn't mind send it to RsnFyr77@comcast.net. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bfd1205 View Post
    We were just awarded our FP&S grant and have a fire extinguisher trainer in the grant. We are using the Bullex system as a model for what we want and have done alot of looking and have not seen anything else on the market that is even close. I just want to make sure and meet my obligation to get alternate pricing , if it exists. Does any one know of another company or is this completely a single source item?
    Congratulations bfd1205, how did you make a fire extinguisher trainer address the two target audiences... those over 65 and those 14 yoa and under.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

When did Fire Prevention & Safety initiatives become limited to only those two age groups?

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    When did Fire Prevention & Safety initiatives become limited to only those two age groups?
    I didn't say it was strictly limited to, but the targeted high risk groups do gain you more points.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Except when aiming certain projects at them makes for an automatic DJ.

Thread Information