Forum Member

Default Scanner problems

I am fairly new to my volunteer department and was given a motorola minitor ii scanner. It worked fine for about a month, but the battery died (turns out the first battery I was given was 10 years old). It just died again last night while being charged. The light on the charger is lit up, and appears to be working fine. It is not turning on, even after being in the charger for over 10 hours. Does anyone know what is wrong with it, or have any ideas?

Forum Member

Take the battery out and put it in the charger to see if the pager works. If it works, then its the battery, if it does not work, you have a problem with the pager itself.

Forum Member

The pager is not going to work in the charger without a battery. So that won't help him.

Your second battery is probably also toast, or the charger is bad. Try a new one of each and see what fixes it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

i had one like that and my charger would not charge the battery in the pager, so i took the battery out and put it in the battery only charger and the pager still worked.

Forum Member

Easiest thing to do would be to bring it back to your department and see if you can trade it for a new one or they can further assist you since it is their equipment.

Forum Member

The Motorola II's are just about gone. As I understand there are no more parts being made for them. Tell 'em if they want you to respond, they better give you something that works.

Above all don't go buy one yourself.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvfd2167 View Post
    i had one like that and my charger would not charge the battery in the pager, so i took the battery out and put it in the battery only charger and the pager still worked.
    You're either confused or the pager was fried to begin with. They will not work without out a battery.

Either way, doesn't matter. You need to either try a different battery, different charger, or different pager. Any of those three could be the culprit and nobody on the internet 1000 miles away is going to be able to pick number out of a hat to tell you which it is. Take it back and it replaced.

Forum Member

As a radio officer for our company i can tell you what already was posted. Director 2 and Minitor 2 are falling by the wayside. It sound like the battery is the problem from what you discribed. I would replace that first and if that does not solve the problem, bring it to your chief and have him replace it.
    You may want to look into the Minitor 5 . More expensive but there is no shortage of parts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    The Motorola II's are just about gone. As I understand there are no more parts being made for them. Tell 'em if they want you to respond, they better give you something that works.

Above all don't go buy one yourself.
    Minitor II's work just fine thank you very much, there are still lots of parts available for them and lots of places still repair them. Yes Motorola is no longer supporting the Minitor II's but that does not mean that there is no aftermarket support for them. There are several places selling completely refurbished MII's as well.

Forum Member

Our department has been using the Minitor II for quite a few years now, although we are in the process of upgrading as I type. Make sure the pager is making connection in the charger. After a while we have seen the pager sitting loose in the charger and not making connection. Some members have even duct taped thiers in the charger to keep it connected. We did have a string of bad batteries once so that counld be the problem. Also we have bought spare cases and parts off of ebay before.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    Minitor II's work just fine thank you very much, there are still lots of parts available for them and lots of places still repair them. Yes Motorola is no longer supporting the Minitor II's but that does not mean that there is no aftermarket support for them. There are several places selling completely refurbished MII's as well.
    Let me clarify...they are just about gone from use and the market. I should have figured there were non-Motorola parts out there.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

All you departments suffering through those old, out of date, out of style, gone from use, no longer supported Minitor II pagers,

I want to help you through your pain. Its what the brotherhood is all about.

I don't want you to have to suffer from the social stigma of such an offensive slight.

Pack up your old Minitor II pagers, with chargers and any accessories. Email me for a fedex call tag. I will have them picked up and put to good use by needy departments in southern Missouri.

It does not matter what band - we can change reciever boards.

Forum Member

Not if I get to them first. I need about 8 for the Explorer Post and then I'll sell the rest for parts to the highest bidder!

Forum Member

well, the battery only part of the charger does not work on my charger, but after I took the battery out of the pager and blew the dust out of it, it started working again. It seems to hold a charge fine and is now working fine. thank you for the advice.

Thread Information