Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Writing a member of assembly for funds

Was wondering which way to go about writing to our local assembly man. I had a nice chat with him this morning and was showing him around the firehouse and our new rescue and was telling him how we needed a new set of Jaws for it and he said "give me the request by the end of this week."

So in Kurts class i dont recall touching too much on this subject. Should i treat this as a corporate grant or similiar to afg or ????

any examples? dvillefiredept@gmail.com

I've had success writing it like a corporate request as you mention. A nice letter describing a little about the company's background, what you are looking for, rough cost estimates for budgetary, and how this will help you and the residents and visitors in your area... Keeping a good rapport with your Assemblyman & Senator is very helpful...

Forum Member

I was thinking a little more on this and i think i am going to change this from Jaws to communication equipment. We have to replace ALL our radios & pagers by january 2011 per our county switching over to narrowbanding. I think i will stick to the AFG for Jaws since our unit is a 1982.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Email me and I will send you an example

This is a pretty well kept secret here in NY. It is real easy. This is called a member item grant or legislative initiative. Each senator and assembly gets a certain amount of money to spread around as they please. Senators get more then assembly and democrats get more then republicans. Find yourself a democratic senator, some get millions. You just write a letter in January and wait. It's best to have a face to face and if your assembly was on board with jaws go for it. It is sort of a good old boys club and a who you know program. They will usually give you a verbal next. We got our verbal in March at our banquet. The official paperwork from the state didn't come until November and then you fill this out and send it in, then wait. Next you get more paperwork to submit for a reimbursement request. Spend the money, send it in and wait. Still hoping to get our $5K this month. It is pretty easy once you do it once. The list of awards is on the net somewhere, dept. of state. NY is so screwed up you will be likely to get 2010 AFG before this money. But go for the jaws, if he says your in, your in. No scoring, no narrative. One person decides.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking 4,844 awards for 2009-2010

This is the assembly list.
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/WAM...nitrevised.pdf

Awards range from $500 to over $100,000; $5K for us.
    Last edited by Fighting41NY; 03-07-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add text

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Here is a blog link to the NY senate list

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...jects-2009-10/

The senate member items approved totaled $84,953,600, just under the $85 million appropriated in the 2009-2010 budget. Of that total, $76,700,000 went to Democrats; $8,253,600 went to Republicans. As a result, given the distribution of the each respective conference, there was a significant loss of pork upstate compared to previous years.

Forum Member

Ok this politician thing has me confused. can you help me out a little more? I guess i dont understand all the people that represent us. NY state assemblyman, NY state senate & what else I guess i should pay more attention to this stuff!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting41NY View Post
    http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/a...jects-2009-10/

The senate member items approved totaled $84,953,600, just under the $85 million appropriated in the 2009-2010 budget. Of that total, $76,700,000 went to Democrats; $8,253,600 went to Republicans. As a result, given the distribution of the each respective conference, there was a significant loss of pork upstate compared to previous years.
    WOW!! I have to find a democrat!!!

Forum Member

Earmarks is one way to describe it. Your narrative that you send to AFG can come in real handy here.

Forum Member

I think he just wants something simple so i wrote what i was thinking...does anyone want to read it and critique it for me? send me ur email at dvillefiredept@gmail.com

Forum Member

jam i sent you a copy. it will appear from landscapesunlimitedcny@gmail forgot which email i was on!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown8988 View Post
    jam i sent you a copy. it will appear from landscapesunlimitedcny@gmail forgot which email i was on!
    Doesn't matter, I should get it. Kurt has some good samples in his new book. I think its in his new one anyway.

First, let me say I'd suggest sticking with the rescue tools instead of shifting to the radio equipment. If he remembers your visit, he remembers talking about rescue tools, not radios.

As you write, it should your AFG narrative if you have previously written one for this purpose. I'd do something like this:

"Dear _____:

"Thank you for the time you spent with me at our station on March XX. As you may recall, you and I discussed the condition of our rescue tools and our pressing need to replace them. I'd like to provide some further details that might help understand our need in greater depth.

"Our current equipment was manufactured in..."

and then I'd expound upon its age, condition, previous repairs/breakdowns, distance to the next available set (and consequently the delay that would result if you had to call for that set if yours failed), any interoperability issues (are you high pressure while neighbors are low-pressure?), reduced availability of parts due to age, lower level of performance compared to more modern units, etc.

I'd also get into the usage on them. How many chop jobs do you make a year? How many hours of extrication training do you do? Do you use them for RIT/FAST purposes?

Talk about the golden hour and how that slow performance or tool failure could affect that.

Now that you've established the need, explain why you haven't got the cash to buy them yourselves. Did something break down? Truck blow up? Salary issues, if you're paid? Whatever you might have had to spend your dough on, describe it and explain why it took precedence over these tools. "Our plans for replacing these tools had to be put off when our front-line engine suffered a catastrophic pump failure, costing us $XX,XXX to repair. We had to make those repairs to remain functional, but it has prevented replacement of the rescue tools."

And then thank him profusely for his previous support and set him up with a line like "I'm sure you agree the need for this equipment is clear, and I know that we can count on your support again." I call that a "shamer"--a good way to make pity your friend.

Make sure to close with a "thanks for your time" type line and make yourself available for further contact. Give office, cell, fax, e-mail, everything. Let him Twitter you if he wants.

And try to cram all this onto one page.

Good luck!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information