Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Military Fd's going mutual aid

Hi guys,

Was just watching a special on the history channel on overseas firefighters, but it didnt touch on any mutual aid type stuff. My question is, do military firefighters on bases overseas respond into the adjacent coutry's jurisdiction under any circumstances, and vice versa? Also, who typically does EMS on bases overseas?

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, they do mutual aid. Most US military bases overseas hire local nationals for the base FD, so it's not that big of a deal. EMS varies, depending on size of the base and service. Sometimes military medics, sometimes national EMS, sometimes base FD.

Forum Member

I was talking the other day to a friend who is active duty in Iraq right now. He said that from time to time they call him to incidents on the streets that require him to handle accident scenes, and sometimes handle small fires. Its pretty crazy because he isnt anything more than infantry. He says that alot of the guys have no idea whats going on alot of the time, but since these small towns have no fire or rescue or anything they have to help.

The Iraqi Civil Defense (FD) is very centralized. The whole country has one national, career fire service. Most towns of 50-200,000 people may have one fire station. The more politically and economically important cities (Baghdad) will have more coverage, but not to the extent seen here. Small towns are on their own, there is no volunteer fire service tradition there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    .. because he isnt anything more than infantry. He says that alot of the guys have no idea whats going on alot of the time, but since these small towns have no fire or rescue or anything they have to help.
    Watch it youngun. A grunt is the highest complement you can give a soldier. Everyone else is just overhead.

Go anywhere, anytime, do anything that needs done. The US infantryman has made the world safe for Democracy and freedom.

and the seamen is the one who got him there!!!

Just had to say that one...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Watch it youngun. A grunt is the highest complement you can give a soldier. Everyone else is just overhead.

Go anywhere, anytime, do anything that needs done. The US infantryman has made the world safe for Democracy and freedom.
    Reminds me of a guy I used to work with, a Korea vet. He said the world is as free as it is because an 18 y/o kid with a rifle was willing to stand a post, and say "uck you" at whatever tyranny/oppresssion faced him. He said whatever BS the military wants to call itself, that's all it really boils down to, thousands of times over and over...
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Haha, Yeah i suppose your right. I guess i should have said something along the lines of hes not a Medic, or firefighter trained.

I approve
    IACOJ Member

Banned

Our base had a Fire Department that only responded on the base. EMS was handled by the medics,; a totally separate unit and command.

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    and the seamen is the one who got him there!!!
    Only if the aforementioned Grunt is a Marine. In which case, I must thank you for being our taxi service.

Did I ever tell you that I am all in favor of making future naval vessels a wonderful shade of taxi cab yellow with a little checkerboard stripe down the side?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

In Montgomery County, MD there are several federal fire departments that run mutual aid with the county fire departments

Company 50 is based at the National Naval Medical Center (Bethesda Naval Hospital) and runs an Engine and Ambo. Their Engine will go off base on calls but it does not have its own first due outside of the base. The ambulance to my knowledge does not respond off base unless EVERYONE else is tied up.

Company 51 is based at the National Institues of Health (also in Bethesda and right across Rockville Pike from Bethesda Naval) and runs an Engine, Tower, Hazmat, and Ambulance. To my knowledge, only the tower responds off base.

Company 53 is based at the National Institutes of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg and runs I believe an Engine and Ambo (maybe more, but I've never run with these guys on a call while down there). There engine also responds off base I believe but I do not think the ambo does.

I may have forgotten one or two companies but these are the ones on the top of my head
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Andrews Air Force Base will run Mutual Aid into Prince George's County, Maryland when called for by an Incident Commander. Usually the IC will call for Tower 74, Rescue Squad 74, Tanker 74 or one of the ARFF Crash Trucks. Every morning at approximately 0700hrs, Prince George's County Public Safety Communications will announce if any of Andrews equipment is OOS (mechanical, special events on base, etc.)

Naval District of Washington (Boling Air Force Base) also runs Mutual Aid into Prince George's County, Maryland for transfers or 2nd alarm or greater fires in the Southern portion of the County, as the base runs off Interstate 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway). They usually transfer out one of their Engine's, and occasionally their Tower 21 (PG Tower 73 "Mutual Aid Designation)

Naval Air Station Patuxent River runs Mutual Aid to St. Mary's County, Maryland on most box assignments in and around the California/Lexington Park area of the County. They run an Engine Company, Tower Ladder, Brush and HazMat Company. Their station designation number is 13. i.e; Engine 132, Tower 13, HazMat 13, etc.

Naval Surface Warfare Center, NDW Dahlgren, Virginia runs mutual aid to King George and Westmoreland Counties in Virginia, as well as Charles County, Maryland. Their station designation number is 28. i.e; Engine 281, Truck 28

Naval Surface Warfare Center, NDW Indian Head, Maryland runs mutual aid to Charles County, Maryland. Their station designation numbers are 20 (Main HQ) & 21 (Stump Neck). They run a 3 piece Engine Company, Truck Company, Brush and Medic Unit.
    Last edited by RescueEngine40; 03-08-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Thread Information