Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Cascade, fill station, compressor standards

Well not sure where to post this but since were getting it through a grant I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know the NFPA standards for cascade systems, fill stations, and compressors and are they required to have a Co and or Dew point monitor on them?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sixfortyone View Post
    Well not sure where to post this but since were getting it through a grant I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know the NFPA standards for cascade systems, fill stations, and compressors and are they required to have a Co and or Dew point monitor on them?
    NFPA 1989.....Chapter 7

NFPA 1901.....Chapter 24 (referenced by NFPA 1852)

Forum Member

Bugle, you must have a copy of those codes incribed into your brain, work for NFPA or just have a lot of time to sit in the toilet and read.lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    NFPA 1989.....Chapter 7

NFPA 1901.....Chapter 24 (referenced by NFPA 1852)
    Thanks onebugle for pointing where I can find out the information. Unfortunatly at this time I do not own any of the nfpa books however it seems like that is something I am going to have to persue getting in the near future. In the mean time if you or anyone else reading this knows the answer could you tell me if the co/ moisture monitor is required, needed, or just suggested. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sixfortyone View Post
    Thanks onebugle for pointing where I can find out the information. Unfortunatly at this time I do not own any of the nfpa books however it seems like that is something I am going to have to persue getting in the near future. In the mean time if you or anyone else reading this knows the answer could you tell me if the co/ moisture monitor is required, needed, or just suggested. Thanks again.
    sixfortyone,

No need to buy the standards. You can view the standards on line for free. Follow these steps.

Go to:

http://www.nfpa.org/

1) Click on "Sign In" upper left side
    2) Click on "Create Account"
    3) Enter an email address
    4) Create a password

The CO will be found in NFPA 1989 Chapter 7.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    sixfortyone,

No need to buy the standards. You can view the standards on line for free. Follow these steps.

Go to:

http://www.nfpa.org/

1) Click on "Sign In" upper left side
    2) Click on "Create Account"
    3) Enter an email address
    4) Create a password

The CO will be found in NFPA 1989 Chapter 7.
    Thank you I did not know you could view the standards for free.

Forum Member

You can't save or print anything without paying for it, but being able to read them is nice. Long and boring, but nice.

Long and boring, An NFPA standard!!! NAAA They are exciting tales full of adventure and travel... Now the online FEMA classes or the required NY Commissioner training, that could put a coked up, insomniac to sleep in 20 seconds.....

The big complaint I have with NFPA is the same as many others. OSHA requires these standards to be followed in OSHA states, BUT OSHA will not send you a copy of the standard or even get you a discount on them.

Just another unfunded mandate to follow....

OH and on the OSHA subject, any of you NY folks been visited yet? I have head through a few meetings that they are planning to visit EVERY, NY department and look at your books, For SOGs, SCBA records, Training records and a few other items, and that they are looking 2 years back as well!

I understand PESH has been saying that for the last 10 years. Problem (for them) is they have only a couple of folks to do the visits and are way over worked so they are focusing on the severe stuff like the injuries and complaints first...

That being said, it behooves us to police ourselves and 'do the right thing' so when we do get a visit only minor things might be found... Beats the consequences of having a FF injury, getting a visit and having nothing to show them...

Keeping accurate records also benefits us in other areas (like justifying grant requests) so I would think everybody here on the boards are doing at least a good job on record keeping (in case we get a visit from ANY 4 letter agency...)

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    Long and boring, An NFPA standard!!! NAAA They are exciting tales full of adventure and travel... Now the online FEMA classes or the required NY Commissioner training, that could put a coked up, insomniac to sleep in 20 seconds.....

The big complaint I have with NFPA is the same as many others. OSHA requires these standards to be followed in OSHA states, BUT OSHA will not send you a copy of the standard or even get you a discount on them.

Just another unfunded mandate to follow....

OH and on the OSHA subject, any of you NY folks been visited yet? I have head through a few meetings that they are planning to visit EVERY, NY department and look at your books, For SOGs, SCBA records, Training records and a few other items, and that they are looking 2 years back as well!
    Doorbreaker not sure who told you what but if you go to osha.gov you can find the standards online.

NYS is an "OSHA" state, the VFD's and career FD's come under the Public Employee Safety and Health Bureau of the Division of Safety & Health in the NYS Department Of Labor. Although they tend to follow the federal OSHA guidelines, some of the guidelines are more restrictive (and NYS requires the enforcement of the most restrictive standards...)

PESH offers a 'voluntary compliance program' where they will come in (at your request) and review your records, identify deficiencies and offer 'boilerplate' forms or suggestions on how to come into compliance. They won't issue fines for deficiencies found, will give you a date to come into compliance...

[QUOTE=OH and on the OSHA subject, any of you NY folks been visited yet? I have head through a few meetings that they are planning to visit EVERY, NY department and look at your books, For SOGs, SCBA records, Training records and a few other items, and that they are looking 2 years back as well![/QUOTE]

They fall in the same category as lawyers, IRS and health insurance companies. Oh and let’s not forget AIG and politicians. If you keep up with everything that everyone who thinks they know what you should be doing then you would have to have a staff of 12 people just to make everyone happy with the paper work. If you already have enough years in show him the door and if says anything give him a good boot in the you know were. Does anyone have a plane I can barrow. Oh well I feel better now.

Thread Information