Forum Member

Default Physical Fitness/Injury and Polygraph Questions

Hello, all. I'm considering applying to a local fire department that's about to start recruiting again, but I had some concerns. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

First, I have a rotated pelvic bone, injured about 10 years ago. I'm a weightlifter, 6'3, 260 lbs of mostly muscle, in good shape, and I go months at a time without the injury affecting me. But occasionally, if I forget to lift with my legs and twist down and to the right, then strain hard to lift something, it can sort of halfway throw my back out. I usually recover back to standing upright and walking fine inside a few minutes to half an hour. But I'm really worried that I shouldn't even try for firefighting, in case this injury might endanger my or someone else's life. Any thoughts? Do you or anyone you know have back problems like this and still work successfully as a firefighter?

Also, I'm worried about my past when it comes to the polygraph. I used to commit petty thefts and burglaries from the ages of 17-22, then gave it up voluntarily, without ever getting a criminal record. I'd have no problem answering absolutely honestly about my past, but I'm wondering if I'll be disqualified anyways for mistakes I made over seven years ago.

Thanks again for reading this and for any thoughts you can offer.

Forum Member

I am in the process, so I don't have too much experience.

But what I have heard and think is very good advice is to be honest and upfront. No one is perfect. They want someone who is going to be man (or woman) enough to admit their faults. You will also need to verbally demonstrate that you have learned from those foolish and selfish mistakes you had made in the past and how you understand the importance strong values and ethics.

You are a man now, you have changed and let them know it.

Forum Member

Not every department will have a lie detector test. Actually I have only ran across one department in my area that does this.

As far as your injury I would not say a word and just see what happens once you get a job. I would also seek medical advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bobholdens View Post
    Hello, all. I'm considering applying to a local fire department that's about to start recruiting again, but I had some concerns. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

First, I have a rotated pelvic bone, injured about 10 years ago. I'm a weightlifter, 6'3, 260 lbs of mostly muscle, in good shape, and I go months at a time without the injury affecting me. But occasionally, if I forget to lift with my legs and twist down and to the right, then strain hard to lift something, it can sort of halfway throw my back out. I usually recover back to standing upright and walking fine inside a few minutes to half an hour. But I'm really worried that I shouldn't even try for firefighting, in case this injury might endanger my or someone else's life. Any thoughts? Do you or anyone you know have back problems like this and still work successfully as a firefighter?

Also, I'm worried about my past when it comes to the polygraph. I used to commit petty thefts and burglaries from the ages of 17-22, then gave it up voluntarily, without ever getting a criminal record. I'd have no problem answering absolutely honestly about my past, but I'm wondering if I'll be disqualified anyways for mistakes I made over seven years ago.

Thanks again for reading this and for any thoughts you can offer.
    If you're a 260 lb fairly lean weightlifter, Im guessing you can probably snatch around BW, and maybe have a C&J over 315#. That's more than enough core stability and lifting power for the job. If you meant powerlifting, then you probably have a 400-500# raw squat and a DL around 600# give or take. Contrast this with the average female recruit. I had several in my recruit class weighing between 110-130# tops. They made it through fine. Imagine how you'll do.

If you're concerned about injury potential, I advise you to seek the guidance of a physical therapist or a CSCS. Firefighting involves a lot of bending, twisting, and picking up/maneuvering heavy objects (or people) in awkward positions. I'm sure they could give a good S&C program to shore up the area in question so you'll be able to do the job without throwing out your back.

As far as the criminal Hx, every dept is different in what they'll accept. The rules for medics can be a little more flexible in some places as well. You should be applying to as many depts as you can, anyway.
    Last edited by edpmedic; 04-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Forum Member

Fitness is necessary for every one legit work from home business whether you are young or old, man or women .
    Last edited by foxery; 07-17-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling problem

Thread Information