Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question about becoming a firefighter?

I'm certain I want to be a firefighter, I would love to be given the chance to save lives. But from what I hear, it is virtually impossible to get a job. I was wondering if it's even worth my time to pursue a fire science degree. I live here in texas, in the houston area. Also I was wondering how much would an emt degree improve my chances of becoming a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

The market is tough right now to get hired as a firefighter. However, depts will need to hire people lost through attrition, retirement and injury. They may only hire 1 or 2 people out of hundreds, but if you are a qualified candidate, why couldn't it be you? It definitely won't be you if you don't even apply.

Use the search button and read all the posts about things to do to increase your chances of getting hired and apply them.

Good luck!

Forum Member

In my opinion do not get a fire science degree. If you don't become a FF then what are you gonna do. Get a degree in something you could see yourself doing if you don't become a FF. Then if you do get hired somewhere you have a good opportunity to make some money on the side. A trade school for instance or something to that effect. Fire science degrees don't help you get hired anyway because it would be a civil service exam.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkhoganlogan View Post
    I'm certain I want to be a firefighter, I would love to be given the chance to save lives. But from what I hear, it is virtually impossible to get a job. I was wondering if it's even worth my time to pursue a fire science degree. I live here in texas, in the houston area. Also I was wondering how much would an emt degree improve my chances of becoming a firefighter.

I don't know who you've been listening to, but around here, it is very possible to get a FD job.

Don't worry about the Fire Science Degree, it will help you advance, but most likely won't help that much in getting a job. Start looking, www.TML.org has currently listed around 20 or so Texas departments hiring right now, start testing, any and everywhere you can. Civil Service departments usually don't require EMT or FD certs to get hired. In Texas, you have to be at least a EMT-B before you can be fully certified as a FireFighter. Civil Service departments will send you through the training they want you to have. However, getting your Medic cert before applying will open LOTS of doors.

Default How Badly do you want it

You sound like you are already defeating yourself before you even try! How badly do you want to be a firefighter? Have you been to Fire College yet? What have you been doing to say to every department you want to get hired at "I am serious about doing this...these are the courses I bring to your department?"

If you want a job you are going to test at every department that will look at you. The more prepared you are walking into a department...the more likely they will take a second look.

Some departments in Texas are paramedic preferred. Check with each department an see what they require...talk to the Texas Fire Commission. Look at Fire Schools, one that comes to mind is Johnson County.

My husband was a volunteer at Burleson and then got on with Balch Springs.

If you want it you will travel the entire state to get a job!

Cheers

Forum Member

I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a job in this field, but it is very, very competitive. If you haven't already, you need to at this very moment by building your resume, your credentials, your certifications, and your reputation. Vollie Dept.'s are a great way to get your feet wet in this field. Ask lots of questions. Then, you can proceed from there.

I think there is some truth to what was said earlier, as far as having something incase you dont' get on a career a dept. or get on a career dept. right away...cuz' trust me, an extremely few individuals are going to get on a career dept. right away..and by 'right away,' I mean right after you would a.) graduate from a 2 year technical college with a fire science degree or B.) after you finish up an internship or c.) apply for a career dept.

Have faith in yourself, keep your nose clean, and ally yourself with the right people. There are many people out there who on paper or by rank appear knowelegable or like to think they are knowelegable. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Best of Luck
    Last edited by Breech31; 03-19-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: It's Ally, not Allie!
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

It IS virtually impossible to get a job. Go for it anyway. Cant hurt to try, right?
    Fire science degrees may help you land a job and get promotions about 10 years into a job, but other than that they're just a way for the colleges to make some $$$. EMT would most certainly help, in fact, a lot of places require EMT at a minimum before even considering an applicant to a department.

If you can find a volunteer department to start with, your chances of getting hired increase tenfold.

Good luck.

Hey Hulk! As if this dead horse isn't already beaten, here's some more food for thought:

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."
    Henry Ford
    Ford Motor Company

Yes...that Henry Ford!!!

"Purpose, Truth and Passion Yield Power and Dominion IN ACTION!!!"

Why do you want to be a firefighter? It isn't all the glitz and glitter you see in the movies and on the TV. For the most part it is bull work and hard at most of the times.

Some of our local departments are combination paid\volunteer. They usually hire from their volunteer ranks or a volunteer from another local department.

As previously stated, if you can volunteer, do it. Then you will have a better idea of what to expect.

Like jonnee said, it's not all glory. Routine medical calls, salvage and mop-up at fires, washing and loading hose, bla bla.

Also seeing severely injured, dying or dead people is no picnic.

Thread Information