Forum Member

Default Rosenbauer Trucks

We are in the process of starting to write specs for a new pumper. Rosenbauer has been popping up in the region alot. Would like to know what others are happy with and not happy with their Rosenbauer. Trying to find someone in the area with one so that we can go and take a look at it, but they are about 2 hours away, so far. Just want to know if it would be worth the trip or not. If this has been on here before, please let me know which thread it was in, I can not find anything. Thanks ahead of time for everyones input, good or bad.

Forum Member

Default We have a couple Rosie's

We haven't had any major issues - both commericals - IH Engine and KW Pumper/Tanker.

On both trucks came from the Central States facility and on both the factory guys were great to work with.

We are a volunteer department so not heavily used but have taken abuse from road conditions (unpaved country roads).

Forum Member

Baltimore County (MD) just purchased nine (9) pumpers and one 75' quint ladder truck from Rosenbauer, all on Spartan Gladiator chassis. Not sure what body plant (Central or General) built them but I know they are aluminum bodies. Some of the pumpers are just now going into service so don't know how they are yet. One of the brand new engines unfortunately was destroyed in a serious fire in the apparatus bay of one of the firehouses in the middle of the night during one of our recent blizzards.

Forum Member

We have three Rosie's, had some minor issues no more or less than other builders. One item of note(which they may already have fixed)Have then use locktite on the body screws. The BIGGEST problem we have with ours. Every service there are two or three body screws backing out. Put locktite on,screw 'em back in,no more problems.We run ours in harsh conditions and they are holding up well. I think the General body is the better of the two but as all of ours are Centrals,I don't have a marker to guide by. If you are a moderate run department(we do 400 Fire a year)they will serve you well. T.C.

Forum Member

Note for you on Smeal, Tim. Local, previously all Pierce department here bought a Smeal ladder a year or two ago because they wanted the 125'. Now they have placed an order for a Smeal engine. Say anything?

Forum Member

Before the Rosenbauer Group purchased Central States, General Safety, and RK Aerials, creating Rosenbauer America, I had always heard that General made a better quality body compared to Central. However, I have no personal knowledge of this since nobody around here had one from either builder. Now that they are under the Rosenbauer umbrella, they are starting to pop up all around here. There is a local Rosenbauer dealer (was formerly an ALF dealer) that seems to be doing pretty well. Before Rosenbauer, there were no Central States or General Safety dealers anywhere near this area.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Baltimore County (MD) just purchased nine (9) pumpers and one 75' quint ladder truck from Rosenbauer, all on Spartan Gladiator chassis. Not sure what body plant (Central or General) built them but I know they are aluminum bodies.
    The Baltimore County pumpers came from Central.

There is a local Rosenbauer dealer (was formerly an ALF dealer) that seems to be doing pretty well. Before Rosenbauer, there were no Central States or General Safety dealers anywhere near this area.
    I believe you're referring to DPC Emergency Equipment? They are indeed a very active group and have sold alot of Rosenbauer trucks as of late. Several of the volly companies in Baltimore County have also purchased various Rosenbauer trucks including Violetville (pumper), Providence (aerial), and Pikesville (heavy rescue). There website seems to stay updated and is a good read: http://www.dpcemergency.com
    Last edited by 10House; 03-10-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Forum Member

Yes, I was referring to DPC. Our company dealt with them over the years when they were the ALF/LTI dealer. We've had some service work done on our tower by DPC. Strauss and his boys are a good bunch and I'm sure they're doing a lot better with Rosenbauer than they ever did with ALF.

Forum Member

Default There is Rosenbauer and then there is Rosenbauer.....

You need to be aware that there are different "levels" of Rosenbauers and your needs and budget will dictate which one to compare or look at.

Forum Member

Does anyone have the warranty information that they offer?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Note for you on Smeal, Tim. Local, previously all Pierce department here bought a Smeal ladder a year or two ago because they wanted the 125'. Now they have placed an order for a Smeal engine. Say anything?
    Sam,all I can tell you is have been VERY happy with Smeal from design on thru delivery. From all indications this is a well built machine that now,six months after delivery,we're STILL finding new ways to use. I can honestly say it EXCEEDS our expectations and mine are pretty high. The folks at Smeal go out of their way to accomodate you in their dealings and everybody at the factory were very proud of what they do and rightly so. Just hard working folks like me. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Been Happy so Far

We took delivery of a 09 Rosenbauer/Central States Rescue Pumper on a Spartan Gladiator. Experienced a few minor teething problems like every other truck I have been involved in. Dealer support has been very good. I am in New Glarus, WI contact me if you have any questions I can help with.

Forum Member

I have a question for those that have dealt with Rosenbauer on an apparatus order. Do you specify which of the body builders (Central or General) you want or does Rosenbauer make this call based on your order or what? Does it make a difference if you go with S/S or aluminum body? Wasn't sure how they did this. Any input would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rosenbauer has two divisions: Central States Fire Apparatus and General Safety Equipment. They are completly different bodies. The CSFA is a formed body like Smeal, Crimsom, Pierce etc. The GSE is an extruded body like E-One, ALF and another mfg that I can 't recall (Ferrara?). The formed bodies are regular aluminum welded tubes and sheets. The extruded bodies use a much heavier extrusion to form the body frames and in many places they are welded on both the inside and outside where the body members meet. The extruded body conceals everything, roll-up doors, lights, wires, hinges. Nothing to damage in the compartments. The compartment dimensions are full opening, the doors mount outside so no room is lost in the compartments. The GSE is the only extruded body I know of that has a 20 year fully transferrable body warranty. The GSE body would be "top-of-the-line" and is more expensive due to the difference in material and labor required to put it together. You must specify which product you want when looking for pricing.

Forum Member

Do both Central and General offer stainless steel bodies?

Forum Member

Do both Central and General offer stainless steel bodies?
    Yes, stainless material is available from both facilities.

Forum Member

We have a rescue built by them and it's been great. we use commercial chassis' so may be different thazn youor looking for. Anyhow they were awesome to work with and the quality is really good. haven't had any issue arise.

Forum Member

A General Rosenbauer on a Spartan Gladiator would make you a real war wagon.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutbag72 View Post
    We have a rescue built by them and it's been great. we use commercial chassis' so may be different thazn youor looking for. Anyhow they were awesome to work with and the quality is really good. haven't had any issue arise.
    I have been lucky enough to meet the owners of all three companies Rosenbauer bought into. I have dealt with them as a competitor (when they beat us, they beat us, no gloating, friendly at conventions), as a vendor (knew what they wanted and always supplied requested information in a timely manner, no finger pointing), and as a customer (can't elaborate). I have to agree. They are good people to deal with.

I only know of one Rosenbauer in our area. The department that has is trying to lemon law it. It is a 2008 model and has been out of service as much as in.

Our Department bought a Smeal in 2003. Since then three of our sister departments have bought from them. The apparatus has been awesome and the dealer (Dill's Fire and Safety) have done an extraordinary job. As an example, on a Saturday after noon we had a brush fire, the pump would not shift in to pump mode. We had to shift manually. I called the salesman at home just to tell him I was going to need service Monday. He asked me if he could call me back later. I say sure thinking I will hear from him Monday. He calls me back about 25 minutes later and has the shop foreman on three way conference call. He talks me through some trouble shooting. It turns out the switch on the parking brake is malfunctioning. He directs me how to bypass and our truck is back in service. He tells me he can order the part but I would be better off going to NAPA and getting a replacement a lot cheaper. This was about 2008. Needless to say our truck was long out of warranty.

MembersZone Subscriber

We looked hard at Rosenbauer when we purchased our new engine. We finally decided to go with another company, mainly because we are so rural, service from the other company is just under 2 hours away, service from the Rosenbauer dealer 4 hours.

I am very happy we did. Soon after the dealer we were dealing with disappeared, then suddenly popped back up after legal issues, same people, same equipment, different corporate structure and name. It worried us if the company was going to be around next week.

Then a department very close to use took delivery on their new engine. A front bumper (extended) that looks terrible, airhorns facing to the side, rear discharges with very poor placement, just a lot of little things that made us happy we got the KME and not the Rosenbauer.

So far service wise, I think they have been doing ok.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1500chief@sbcglobal.net View Post
    I only know of one Rosenbauer in our area. The department that has is trying to lemon law it. It is a 2008 model and has been out of service as much as in.

Our Department bought a Smeal in 2003. Since then three of our sister departments have bought from them. The apparatus has been awesome and the dealer (Dill's Fire and Safety) have done an extraordinary job. As an example, on a Saturday after noon we had a brush fire, the pump would not shift in to pump mode. We had to shift manually. I called the salesman at home just to tell him I was going to need service Monday. He asked me if he could call me back later. I say sure thinking I will hear from him Monday. He calls me back about 25 minutes later and has the shop foreman on three way conference call. He talks me through some trouble shooting. It turns out the switch on the parking brake is malfunctioning. He directs me how to bypass and our truck is back in service. He tells me he can order the part but I would be better off going to NAPA and getting a replacement a lot cheaper. This was about 2008. Needless to say our truck was long out of warranty.
    Lot of Info missing here, As I said,we run several Rosies,service for Maine was Never a strong point but the only issues we've had(we SPEC OUR body style)is body screws backing out and a paint issue on our last one which was promptly and PROFESSIONALLY handled by Dave Cobb at Yankee Fire. Wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another Rosie. A side Note,we AREN'T a CITY dept,but a growing town doing now over 400 runs a year. So if you know how to write a good spec, I don't think you will have any bigger trouble with a Rosie than anybody else. Your dealer is the most important link no matter which brand you buy. T.C.

Forum Member

1500 Chief,

Your experience could apply to any brand or an dealer for that matter. Everyone uses a park brake switch for interlock signal and the failure could happen to anyone. Sounds like you had a good dealer to look after you but again that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturer. That same dealer could be selling another brand tomorrow, would that make brand X better then?

LVFD301,

Sounds like the truck you speak of was just spec'd poorly. Is that Rosenbauer's fault? I met one of the EVT's from the dealer that I think you are referring to and from what I understood it sounds like some young, talented guys working very hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    LVFD301,

Sounds like the truck you speak of was just spec'd poorly. Is that Rosenbauer's fault? I met one of the EVT's from the dealer that I think you are referring to and from what I understood it sounds like some young, talented guys working very hard.
    It may have very well been.

From my days as a vendor to Fire Departments, I always felt it was part of my job to make sure that I advised the customer properly though - and not just took those specs as the final word. Taking care of the customer. Perhaps I was wrong.

My other issue with Rosenbaur? Their support for groups shipping usable firefighting equipment donations OUT OF THE US - instead of making it available to agencies that need those donations here in the US.

Forum Member

My other issue with Rosenbaur? Their support for groups shipping usable firefighting equipment donations OUT OF THE US - instead of making it available to agencies that need those donations here in the US.

May very well be liability issues regarding those donations within the US.

Thread Information