Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default International Firefighter exchange to Ireland

This is a copy of threads i posted in the general forum area but maybe i would have more luck in the canadian section:

Hi,
    I am an irish fulltime firefighter , working and living in west ireland.

If you are interested in a 12 month exchange, and you are bringing with you a small family (wife 'n a few kids) then maybe our jobs AND our homes will be compatible.

A few points:

*a visa would be made available for your spouse while in ireland - should you both want to work. if you are interested in asking for yourself the immigration/naturalisation dept email address is visamail@justice.ie )

* I would consider most places USA, Canada, Oz, NZ et al. I would probably prefer Canada or USA, Its that bit closer to home(, especially somewhere within reasonable distance to a ski slope! ). My wife is from NY upstate and we would go there too(saratoga springs) If you like surfing, countryside, easy laidback living, great place for kids, and the odd night out in the town then you will like this place. (also on the doorstep of an airport and cheap flights to many european destinations)

* You need to be fulltime and experienced for at least four years.(this is an exchange rule, not mine)

* I am not looking to exchange right away - prob ready to move 2012, it takes ages (apparently) to organise an exchange among two fire departments - as well as taking kids from school etc etc so i am posting this early.

* you will not have to go through firefighting school again, i am trying to negotiate that your experience will mean you can learn the differences in procedures, scba etc etc, "in-house" and be fully operational in about two weeks (i know that sounds attractive because some exchanged firefighters are expected to go through firefighting school - something i would be prepared to do to make the exchange work and to learn as much as possible)

so if you are interested email me

craicmac@yahoo.ie

thanks
    mac

i thought i would include this link to an application form for a fire fighter exchange - just to let you know whats involved. most depts have very similar requirements

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...program-f.aspx

the exchanges tend to last somewhere between 6 - 12 months, and while there seems to be a bit of work involved in making the exchange happen it has the potential to be a massively positive experience: good socially, good professionally in your career ahead.

For those interested how the exchange works financially i enclose copy of a section titled 'salaries and conditions' from the link i enclosed above in an earlier message:

Exchange Partners will remain in the employ of their Fire Service. They continue to receive
    their own salaries whilst they are overseas, with continuing deductions (including mortgage
    and insurances) as applicable. This arrangement can not be varied under this Program as
    any changes to this will result in the requirement of different criteria to gain entry into other
    countries and have tax implications.
    Where rates of exchange vary widely, it is recommended that the two Exchange Partners
    come to a financial agreement which will ensure the exchange is viable for both parties.
    Ensure agreements are in writing and a copy lodged with your coordinator.
    Overtime payment methods need to be negotiated by the employers and this is addressed in
    the Deed of Exchange. There are wide variations in opportunities and conditions for overtime
    between Fire Services.

So who is up for it?
    It seems anything is negotiable
    If you know of anyone at your station with a few kids that may have a bit of irish blood in them and may want to go to the 'old country' or just someone with a bit of adventure in them then pass on my details.

thanks
    mac
    Last edited by uiscemac; 04-05-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Forum Member

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...program-f.aspx

the link i provided above WAS no good so i have edited it to an active link
    thanks

pj
    Last edited by uiscemac; 03-15-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Forum Member

If you were successful in your exchange application and you came to ireland it seems a visa for your wife (or husband) would be forthcoming.

So thats good news
    mac

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by uiscemac View Post
    If you were successful in your exchange application and you came to ireland it seems a visa for your wife (or husband) would be forthcoming.

So thats good news
    mac
    Not sure if you've seen it mac, but contact a guy on here name of dandar. Edmonton Fire Dept. They do welcome exchanges and are a skookum bunch of lads. Word is they actually accepted a FDNY chap and it took less than 2 months to house train him.

Forum Member

BryanL

So edmonton are willing to take a guy and trian him for two months and only have hm active for ten months?

(I wonder will a dept like that be willing to exchange with a dept that only wish to train a guy for two weeks and have him operational straight away).

anyways i will try contact dandar
    thanks
    mac

Forum Member

btw,
    whats skookum ?
    that good or bad?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by uiscemac View Post
    btw,
    whats skookum ?
    that good or bad?
    Its very good. The kind of people you want backing you up or leading you come hell or high water. The statement about FDNY chap was in jest. I hear he did fine but was less than impressed by -40 C in January.

Forum Member

as my missus was watering the strawberry beds after walking the dog - i began to realise why family guys arent jumping at the chance to come to ireland for a year:
    the dog? the cat? the garden.. the kids.. the car........
    i plan to have our dog looked after while we were gone BUT if someone had a pet we could swap those too! NOTHING is not negotiable.
    i also plan to have someone keep an eye on our small garden - BUT if you had a wee garden we could swap looking after that aswell.

i also have a few chickens - i have plenty of neighbours who want to take them off my hands if/when i go BUT if you fancy having a few chickens you can have em for the year.

I too have plenty of excuses NOT to try an exchange BUT its too good an opportunity not to try

also i THINK the hours we do here might be a little less than other brigades - we do 168 hours every 4 weeks.. 7 day shifts (9hrs) and 7 night shifts (15hrs) mixed around per month approx. If you do more hours than that you would already be on to a winner!

Thread Information