Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default FDNY Study Guides

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good study guide/book for the upcoming FDNY test in January 2011. Thanks All info appreciated.
    Last edited by ABC5446; 03-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Forum Member

Hey man if you go to www.thebravest.com they have a study guide on that website. However, there are rumors that for 2011 there may be a different test due to discrimination law suits against the old test. Best thing to do is call FDNY human resources. They will file you so that if there are any free tutorials they will let you know by mail.

Forum Member

I came across this site which was advertising on the chief's website. For the price I'd hope they're offering a good product. Like was mentioned above though, the format/questions on the next exam is definitely changing.

http://civilservicesuccess.com/FDNY%...TER%202010.htm

Forum Member

what exactly are they citing as "racist" on the last test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1-502 BH View Post
    what exactly are they citing as "racist" on the last test?
    When the decision first came down I actually read the Judge's ruling, all 90-some-odd pages of it. From what I remember two things the Vulcan's (and the Judge agreed) harped on were "an unnecessarily high reading level" for the exam, and the questions either were or weren't (sorry this is where my memory gets a little fuzzy as it was a while ago now) job related. They some how decided that the reading level for the exam was a higher level than what was required in your personal education in order to take the exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    When the decision first came down I actually read the Judge's ruling, all 90-some-odd pages of it. From what I remember two things the Vulcan's (and the Judge agreed) harped on were "an unnecessarily high reading level" for the exam, and the questions either were or weren't (sorry this is where my memory gets a little fuzzy as it was a while ago now) job related. They some how decided that the reading level for the exam was a higher level than what was required in your personal education in order to take the exam.
    hmm. I am new to all of this, I plan on taking the exam in Jan. if they give it. I joined this forum a few days ago and been reading some of the 6019 thread. It all sounds pretty ridiculous.

Forum Member

It looks like the Jan 2011 test is as sure a bet as you can get with the FDNY application process (insert grain of salt here). I'll be taking the exam too, so far I haven't seen anything to make me think they won't give the test. Now, whether or not they activate the list generated from this test to hire off of in June/July 2012 (earliest they could) is a different story all together.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 06-03-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

so what do you guys are using to study for the 2011 exam???
    if they are going to change the exam the old book wont work right?

Forum Member

Am I missing something, I searched Dcas website and it mentions nothing about a new FDNY test. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...schedule.shtml
    Is this just speculation based on whats going on right now with exam 6019?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnysmoky View Post
    Am I missing something, I searched Dcas website and it mentions nothing about a new FDNY test. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...schedule.shtml
    Is this just speculation based on whats going on right now with exam 6019?
    Well everything is up in the air right now. Historically they have a test every 4 years. Last test was Jan 2007. So logic would say to expect a test Jan 2011. Things are changing. A federal judge deemed the last test racist and blocked the city from hiring off of it. The city is fighting his decision. The city says they extremely understaffed and need to hire asap.

If they can't get get the judges decision overturned then they are probably going to have to give a test asap bc they are still undermanned. However, the way they have been testing won't work anymore. They are going to have to make a new test. You would expect filing to open soon for a test in Jan. Everything is speculation right now because I don't think Dcas even knows when the next test will be at this point.

Keep checking here but keep in mind that anyone can say whatever they want on here so take it with a grain of salt. More importantly keep checking that Dcas yearly schedule because it will change.

Thread Information