Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Accountability Tags

I was put in charge of supplying our department with accountability tags for 53 members and 2 tags each. If you have had to do this you know what a pain it can be. After struggling for 2 weeks with it I found On Scene Tags at www.onscenetags.com Easy to work with, reasonable cost, very fast delivery, and the best part is it is a Firefighter owned company. When I called them with a question we had a 20 min discussion about firefighting. Very impressed with them and very happy with their service and product.
    Just sharing my experience to make it easier on anyone having to purchase tags. Has anyone else used them?

I believe that this is the company that we use also. I am pleased with the quality and the price for them as well, to the point of ordering things for myself through them.
    Bill Davis
    West Harrison Fire Dept
    2009 Rookie of the Year
    www.westharrisonfire.com
    IACOJ Rookie-We all gotta start somewhere

Humorous (to me) story. My first department years ago gave us numbered cow tags (like they clip on cows ears) to use as accountability tags. I was number 36 (crazy that I still remember that). When we got on the rig, we clipped our cow tags onto a big ring that would be tosses at command when we arrived on a scene. I know that was not the best system, but at the time (mid 90's) it was just great that some sort of accountability was in place.

Sometimes the simplest system is the best system. Granted your name isn't on it, but if you are like our department, everyone has a number on their helmet. I can name about every single number for our 30 guys. Although it doesnt really work in a larger incident and deparment. We currently just have tags with numbers on them, although picture I.D.s were made for the guys now.

Quote Originally Posted by haligan4 View Post
    I was put in charge of supplying our department with accountability tags for 53 members and 2 tags each. If you have had to do this you know what a pain it can be. After struggling for 2 weeks with it I found On Scene Tags at Easy to work with, reasonable cost, very fast delivery, and the best part is it is a Firefighter owned company. When I called them with a question we had a 20 min discussion about firefighting. Very impressed with them and very happy with their service and product.
    Just sharing my experience to make it easier on anyone having to purchase tags. Has anyone else used them?
    3 posts, new member, all talking about the tags he sells.

I smell SPAM

Forum Member

Just trying to to give some advice for people looking for tags and and sharing my experience to make it easier for others. Thought that is why we are here.
    I do agree though that the simple systems seem to work the best. All of our mutual aid departments are all on the same 2 tag system.

No, you were trying to sell tags. In the end, you caused people to feel that your company has to resort to lies to sell your product, and some people will do anything they can to NOT buy your product.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Humorous (to me) story. My first department years ago gave us numbered cow tags (like they clip on cows ears) to use as accountability tags. I was number 36 (crazy that I still remember that). When we got on the rig, we clipped our cow tags onto a big ring that would be tosses at command when we arrived on a scene. I know that was not the best system, but at the time (mid 90's) it was just great that some sort of accountability was in place.
    That was what we did when I started in 1990. The IC had to have a sheet of who was what number. It had it's purpose and worked for the time.

Gosh, it does bring back memories though...hehehe
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I have no ties to this company whatsoever. Whether you believe me or not is of no concern to me. So if you want to turn this into something it's not then enjoy yourself.

Tell you what. If I am wrong, I will buy 100 tags from that company, and publically apologize to you. I will send you a PM and we work out those details.

If I am right... You go away and lost a 100 tag sale...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    No, you were trying to sell tags. In the end, you caused people to feel that your company has to resort to lies to sell your product, and some people will do anything they can to NOT buy your product.
    Any good salesman always lies and stretches the truth. Hence the reason I am a terrible salesperson. In fact, I don't do well on interviews because I tell the truth as well.

Our county was able to secure a system that generates two sided tags that include a photo, qualifications, limited medical info, and a POC. Since that info is kept on the computer that is used to generate the tags, if one is damaged, or if there is a minor change, we can simply make a phone call and have a couple of new tags generated (we carry two).

I don't know who the vendor was, but there are several out there that provide such a system. I have no doubt that they also offer bar-coding options, if you're into that.

The initial acquistion was through a grant. The system is now in the hands of the sheriff and is also used for other than fire.

The options for such tags are endless, depending on your wants/needs. We hand stamped aluminum tags before the county system came on line. Cow tags were discussed as well. You could also go to an office supply store and have plastic tags engraved (like uniform name tags) then drill holes and add rings and clips/snaps yourself. For low-use systems, even a laminating machine and luggage tags might suffice.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Default our tags

on our department we each have 2 tags with our name, picture, and certifications on both sides of the tag. In between the front and back layers of the tag is a very brief medical history including blood type, allergies, and medications for use in case of injury. All of this is laminated. one tag stays with the firefighter and the other goes to the IC. Our tags are made in house. I am unfortunately unsure of the program we use but i believe it is fairly simple.

I don't know how some people think that firefighters are so stupid.

I send an email message to Haligan4, the original poster, asking him how he would like to prove that he is NOT affiliated with the company he is promoting here. I sent it through the firehouse mail system.

I get a message back, quoted here...

This is the message:

First let me say that I am surprised that it has gotten to this point. Just thought I was putting up an innocent post. Secondly let me say that I live in Canada and nowhere near where this company is. I only purchased from this company once before and was impressed by there service. That is all! I can show you a part of my boat registration showing that it was registered in Ottawa but I do not see what I have to gain from this besides proving what I already know.

END QUOTE

Sounds reasonable. But then I check the rest of the email. Guess what else I find...

To email haligan4, you can use this online form:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/sendmess...ember&u=252844

OR, by email:
    mailto:shamrock911@hotmail.com

END QUOTE

Hmmm. Lets do a quick google search on that email. WOW! Would you believe it? Seems maybe he IS lying!

I get this link. Scroll on down to the ad for onscene tags. Check out the email!

http://columbia.scfirenet.com/

So instead of just putting up a post saying "hey guys, I am trying to make a little jack doing these tags, would you look at them and see what you think" he lies out his butt instead, obviously thinking that firefighters are stupid and would not know any better.

Patrick Quinlan. Shame on you buddy.

But Nice new rescue truck!

Notice it? The same email address as the email from Firehouse. Coincidence? I think not.

No S*** (LVFD301) Sherlock.

Well Done!

You have been given a new Mission Agent 301, if you choose to accept it...

This message will self-destruct in 3 seconds.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    No S*** (LVFD301) Sherlock.

Well Done!

You have been given a new Mission Agent 301, if you choose to accept it...

This message will self-destruct in 3 seconds.
    Nah, I am going to go back and search high and low for AFG grants. Enough of this silly stuff.

Forum Member

Damage already done but you have my sincere apology and shame on me.

Forum Member

As tree68 said the tags our county gave us had everything we would need if something happened. I had 1 of mine break and called the county office and had a new one in couple days. btw tree is plum still car1?

MembersZone Subscriber

Integrity... I thought it was a universal firefighter trait, apparently not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post

Patrick Quinlan. Shame on you buddy.

Man, I haven't heard that name in a while. Too bad it's like this....
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Thread Information