Forum Member

Do you know how many they may hire?

Forum Member

They are hiring 10 Firemedic-Firefighters this time around.

As far as I know, they have already sent out letters or called the possible candidates. I have my panel on Monday. Any pointers? I have only had 1 panel interview with a different department so far and I feel that I did well but did not get the position. Thanks for any help in advance!!

And if I can help out anyone else, Hillsborough has join up with National Testing Network and their series of tests. The CPAT is pretty much like any other and the only thing I can say to prepare for this test is to run stairs often!! You should not have a problem with anything else if you are fit. Here is a link to an overview of the CPAT:
    Link to CPAT

There is no written test but a video "Personality" test of sorts. I will ask you to review the behaviour of other employees and to rate them in different ways. The only thing I can say about this test is to answer it honestly. If you sit there and try to think of the answer that they are looking for, you will do terrible. You will have a math and a mechanical portion as well but those are easy.

I hope this helps!!

makes good girls go bad

If you really wanna get hired by us, know about the dept. WHY do you wanna work for HCFR?
    Cause its a job? Or you like what we have to offer? Done any time with us on clinicals, you wanna be on Special Ops, what?
    BE CONFIDENT!
    If you haven't already, buy "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview". I BOMBED my FireMedic Trainee interview but aced my Paramedic one. The difference was the book, and confidence.

If you have any questions, PM me.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm really worried about firefighter safety now with all of the older, experienced 911 Dispatchers retiring from Hillsborough County, FL EDC, in fact the experience level is so bad, they've started hiring back some of the retired Dispatchers to inject some experience in there.

I can't do it anymore due to a long illness, but when I was in there, I would often check on crews (especially the Ambulance crews) because going into some areas at night could be dangerous (I know because I used to work on a Ambulance as an EMT).

Now there are some dedicated individuals in EDC, but the experience level will take time to build up, and I hope nobody gets hurt in the meantime, so keep safe!

Forum Member

Hey Rodney,
    I work at a station with guys who knew you well and we have had this exact conversation many times. Happy retirement!

Forum Member

Thanks for the complement, retirement is a rough job, but someone has to do it, but after 32 years it's time to take a break, but also now that I'm retired and getting my State pension and my SS pension, I've been trying to hook up with my old friends and treating them to lunch in TT (I can't drive far or at night).

Does anyone know if Chief Wayne Hicks or Miss Ellie (Chief Hall) ever retired, and what about Todd Burkhardt (sp?), they're some of the people I want to treat.

Until next time keep safe and sleep all night!

Forum Member

Chief Hicks still works for the dept but is out right now. Miss Ellie retired not too long after you did if I remember right, and Todd is still here.

FYI R23 moved to st. 26 on nov 1 and R44 is now R25 and is at St. 25. tight quarters until a trailer is put out back for the rescue. 74 is the last ems station now. we're also responding non-emerg to staging calls which makes a lot more sense.

makes good girls go bad

I was supposed to be a 25 tomorrow, but got preassigned to 33 instead. Thank God!!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

you would have been relieving me :P who's coming instead?

makes good girls go bad

No idea. 33 is a LOT closer to me then 25 is.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I went to bed soon afterwards, and thanks for all of the info, and I'm not surprised at all about R23/R44, I suggested that very same move to Joni/Becky due to slow response times, but I was shot down, but now all of a sudden, it's THEIR idea, but that's typical EDC management!

Forum Member

Default Respect for a Job Well Done!

I have the utmost respect for firefighters, from years ago and even to this day, for a profession that ranks in one of the most dangerous professions on this planet.

When I left BLS in '87 due to a RIF, I was given a choice of cross training as a firefighter, but instead went into Dispatch and later cross-trained as a Fire Dispatcher where I hoped I did a good job overall.

The reason I didn't become a firefighter (other than being much older than most) was I wasn't "brave" enough to go running into a burning building, but instead (like most animals) would run out quickly.

Today, ALL radio traffic is dispatched over the same set of 800Mhz frequencies (unlike separate EMS and Fire frequencies from years ago), but other than their OTJ training, the younger and newer dispatchers know little about the fire service anymore.

Most of them know nothing about equipment (such as gated "Y's", AMKUS tool, standpipes, hand lines, and so forth) and none of them ever worked out of a station (except Becky and I) and even though I worked on a BLS unit, I still sat in on firefighter training taught by Capt. Don Weller at Station 33, because I wanted to learn!

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to express my respect for your hard work.

Be careful and be safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney15 View Post
    Today, ALL radio traffic is dispatched over the same set of 800Mhz frequencies (unlike separate EMS and Fire frequencies from years ago), but other than their OTJ training, the younger and newer dispatchers know little about the fire service anymore.
    You ain't kidding. It's a struggle every shift. There is NO control over dispatch anymore.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I agree 100%, at least when EMS and HCFD were separate, they were in charge of their respective communication centers, HCFD had their "Control" (CFC) and EMS had their "Dispatch", now Joni and Becky isolate EDC from HCFR, the only contact EDC has with HCFR is with a few select HQ chiefs.

Better that HCFR take over EDC rather than HCSO, at least EDC has something in common with HCFR, that is, Fire and Medical dispatching, whereas Fire and Medical always gets kicked to the back of the bus when involved with a Police entity.

BTW, I meant to ask earlier, does anyone have a question (or questions) about EDC that they're just curious about or something that has been bugging them, as I can try to answer them, and no, I'm not coming out of retirement, I'm having too much fun!

Forum Member

Default Chief Wayne Hicks Father Passed Away

Hello:

Thought you might want to know this, Wayne Hicks Father passed away, the notice is in the Tampa Tribune, Adams & Jennings has a webpage where you can sign the guest book, and send private condolences to the family, Wayne started with EMS shortly after I did, and I ate Dinner with his Parents and found both of them to be charming and lovely people.

I signed the guest book and also sent private condolences via the computer, as Wayne and I had also been partners for a time (I think I pretty much rode with everybody it seems).

He later became a EMS Supervisor and then was assimilated into HCFR as a Battalion Chief, if I remember in Battalion 7 at Station 41.

Thought someone might want to know.

Rodney
    Formerly of EDC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney15 View Post
    Better that HCFR take over EDC rather than HCSO, at least EDC has something in common with HCFR, that is, Fire and Medical dispatching, whereas Fire and Medical always gets kicked to the back of the bus when involved with a Police entity.
    The sheriff's office is more concerned with training the dispatchers in their operations than ensuring Fire/Rescue gets good service and info on calls. We're flying blind. Some times of the day we can't even raise an operator on some tac channels and have to switch to the dispatch channel. As bad as it is, be thankful for what you have.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Actually, all I have to be thankful for is: being retired and getting out of EDC, but even though I'm no longer there, I still have friends and acquaintances with HCFR (and I still get the gossip or insider info) and I worry about their personal safety from time to time.

My worst fear is that a fire crew lets loose a "Mayday" in the field, and it's missed by EDC or the Dispatcher doesn't understand the ramifications of such a phrase, then the poop is going to hit the fan big time.

Before I finally leave this life, I love to see a Communication's Division under HCFR, run by a HQ Chief (I have my idea for the job, but there's been a recent shake-up at HQ) and the opportunity for HCFR personnel to work "light duty" in there, helping out with the telephones, instead of just at HQ.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Forum Member

Default My Insider Source Just Dried Up at HCFR

Even though I've been out of the loop for 2 years due to retirement, I still had a pipeline on insider info (read as in "gossip") at HCFR, now due to the recent shake-up at their HQ, it seems my pipeline has run dry.

I'm trying to hook up with some Chief's and Captain's who I once knew as rookies, people like Todd Burkhart and Blake Wilder who were FF's one at a time when I ran out of Station 33 and worked with Capt. Don Weller (he went to the PO) and Tim Rumrell (RIP from Cancer).

Unless someone knows different, the last I heard Chief Hicks was still at Battalion 7 and Capt. Lana was still at 36, but I'll have to keep searching for the others, my reason is that I wanted to have Lunch with them and treat them since they were old partners or acquaintances.

I had the luck to meet Miss Ellie (Chief Hall) again, since she retired and I invited her to Lunch one day.

Forum Member

Default Constructive criticism about EDC that they want me to pass on"?

Like when I used to visit the different fire stations, I would often ask "Does anyone have any constructive criticism about EDC that they want me to pass on"?

And while I'm not connected to EDC anymore, there is another "old timer" who is still a Supervisor there, and while my "opinion" doesn't matter anymore to EDC management (and never really did); coming from him, it might carry some more weight.

So if you like, pass on any and all suggestions and perhaps together, we can effect a change for the better, at least I hope!

Thread Information