Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To man the volly engines, from what I was told.
    The IAFF F/Ms can't ride the volly apparatus, so thats why the EMPACCT Medics get hired.

At least that's how I understand it...
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Good luck, you little turd!!!!! You be safe!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

yeah there's two ALS volunteer engines. so 6 positions for all 3 shifts total, and we have 800 something firefighters. the only people I know assigned to them are 20 or 25+ year medics who are actually rescue lieutenants, but they've gotten assigned to one of those 6 positions.
    so it's basically another way to save money by hiring a medic only. the other side of the coin is, why do we have volunteer engines? vols only have to have fire 1 cert, and their lieutenants/officers can be 20-something's with virtually no experience. and yet every person in hillsborough county pays the same for fire protection. whether you get a career engine with at least one medic (if not 3), who have a combined 30+ years of experience, or a volunteer engine running short crew again who may or may not be emt's or have their fire 2 certification, you pay the same in taxes. I know why it's done, I just disagree with the whole concept.

that said, how was the first week? I looked for you guys at headquarters last shift, but they said you did some sort of county stuff all week. I guess you have today off?

Hmm, the way it was explained to me was it sounded like we were gonna eventually end up on a volly Engine.

Idk yet, we start Monday.

County stuff Monday, then F/R orientation starts Tuesday.
    I can't wait!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

yeah, eventually you could get it (if vol engines are still around then). the years of service for the six people assigned to vol engines are as follows: 30, 30, 30, 30, 25, 20. of course after a year or so when you get your standalone you can fill one of those spots on an as-needed, day to day basis, but definitely not assigned to it for a while.
    sorry, got my dates confused. you guys still start a week earlier than the paramedic orientation does for people already on the job. that starts the 28th.
    enjoy it. if I'm there I'll look for you.

edit: fyi, there are 27 empacct medics on the job (including your group of three). 13 are rescue officers.

Forum Member

you guys going to hire again this year for Fire Medic or wait till next year?

Forum Member

sorry, no idea.

I had heard early next year. Keep an eye on the website.

Thanks for the heads up about ALS orientation!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I just got an email saying probably around Oct or Jan 2011 but to keep looking at the website. It also said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue has adopted the CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) and the National Testing Network's (NTN) FireTEAM Video-Based Human Relations Test (social compatibility, basic math and reading ability, and mechanical aptitude) as Minimum Qualifications. Certifications of completion must be obtained and submitted to civil service at the time of application for the positions of FireMedic 1 or FireMedic Trainee. You have to pay for the test it is like $125

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by steveb80 View Post
    I just got an email saying probably around Oct or Jan 2011 but to keep looking at the website. It also said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue has adopted the CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) and the National Testing Network's (NTN) FireTEAM Video-Based Human Relations Test (social compatibility, basic math and reading ability, and mechanical aptitude) as Minimum Qualifications. Certifications of completion must be obtained and submitted to civil service at the time of application for the positions of FireMedic 1 or FireMedic Trainee. You have to pay for the test it is like $125
    Thanks for the heads up

Forum Member

Do you know how many they may hire?

Forum Member

They are hiring 10 Firemedic-Firefighters this time around.

As far as I know, they have already sent out letters or called the possible candidates. I have my panel on Monday. Any pointers? I have only had 1 panel interview with a different department so far and I feel that I did well but did not get the position. Thanks for any help in advance!!

And if I can help out anyone else, Hillsborough has join up with National Testing Network and their series of tests. The CPAT is pretty much like any other and the only thing I can say to prepare for this test is to run stairs often!! You should not have a problem with anything else if you are fit. Here is a link to an overview of the CPAT:
    Link to CPAT

There is no written test but a video "Personality" test of sorts. I will ask you to review the behaviour of other employees and to rate them in different ways. The only thing I can say about this test is to answer it honestly. If you sit there and try to think of the answer that they are looking for, you will do terrible. You will have a math and a mechanical portion as well but those are easy.

I hope this helps!!

If you really wanna get hired by us, know about the dept. WHY do you wanna work for HCFR?
    Cause its a job? Or you like what we have to offer? Done any time with us on clinicals, you wanna be on Special Ops, what?
    BE CONFIDENT!
    If you haven't already, buy "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview". I BOMBED my FireMedic Trainee interview but aced my Paramedic one. The difference was the book, and confidence.

If you have any questions, PM me.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

I'm really worried about firefighter safety now with all of the older, experienced 911 Dispatchers retiring from Hillsborough County, FL EDC, in fact the experience level is so bad, they've started hiring back some of the retired Dispatchers to inject some experience in there.

I can't do it anymore due to a long illness, but when I was in there, I would often check on crews (especially the Ambulance crews) because going into some areas at night could be dangerous (I know because I used to work on a Ambulance as an EMT).

Now there are some dedicated individuals in EDC, but the experience level will take time to build up, and I hope nobody gets hurt in the meantime, so keep safe!

Forum Member

Hey Rodney,
    I work at a station with guys who knew you well and we have had this exact conversation many times. Happy retirement!

Forum Member

Thanks for the complement, retirement is a rough job, but someone has to do it, but after 32 years it's time to take a break, but also now that I'm retired and getting my State pension and my SS pension, I've been trying to hook up with my old friends and treating them to lunch in TT (I can't drive far or at night).

Does anyone know if Chief Wayne Hicks or Miss Ellie (Chief Hall) ever retired, and what about Todd Burkhardt (sp?), they're some of the people I want to treat.

Until next time keep safe and sleep all night!

Forum Member

Chief Hicks still works for the dept but is out right now. Miss Ellie retired not too long after you did if I remember right, and Todd is still here.

FYI R23 moved to st. 26 on nov 1 and R44 is now R25 and is at St. 25. tight quarters until a trailer is put out back for the rescue. 74 is the last ems station now. we're also responding non-emerg to staging calls which makes a lot more sense.

I was supposed to be a 25 tomorrow, but got preassigned to 33 instead. Thank God!!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

you would have been relieving me :P who's coming instead?

No idea. 33 is a LOT closer to me then 25 is.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information