Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Forum Member

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I went to bed soon afterwards, and thanks for all of the info, and I'm not surprised at all about R23/R44, I suggested that very same move to Joni/Becky due to slow response times, but I was shot down, but now all of a sudden, it's THEIR idea, but that's typical EDC management!

Forum Member

Default Respect for a Job Well Done!

I have the utmost respect for firefighters, from years ago and even to this day, for a profession that ranks in one of the most dangerous professions on this planet.

When I left BLS in '87 due to a RIF, I was given a choice of cross training as a firefighter, but instead went into Dispatch and later cross-trained as a Fire Dispatcher where I hoped I did a good job overall.

The reason I didn't become a firefighter (other than being much older than most) was I wasn't "brave" enough to go running into a burning building, but instead (like most animals) would run out quickly.

Today, ALL radio traffic is dispatched over the same set of 800Mhz frequencies (unlike separate EMS and Fire frequencies from years ago), but other than their OTJ training, the younger and newer dispatchers know little about the fire service anymore.

Most of them know nothing about equipment (such as gated "Y's", AMKUS tool, standpipes, hand lines, and so forth) and none of them ever worked out of a station (except Becky and I) and even though I worked on a BLS unit, I still sat in on firefighter training taught by Capt. Don Weller at Station 33, because I wanted to learn!

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to express my respect for your hard work.

Be careful and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney15 View Post
    Today, ALL radio traffic is dispatched over the same set of 800Mhz frequencies (unlike separate EMS and Fire frequencies from years ago), but other than their OTJ training, the younger and newer dispatchers know little about the fire service anymore.
    You ain't kidding. It's a struggle every shift. There is NO control over dispatch anymore.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I agree 100%, at least when EMS and HCFD were separate, they were in charge of their respective communication centers, HCFD had their "Control" (CFC) and EMS had their "Dispatch", now Joni and Becky isolate EDC from HCFR, the only contact EDC has with HCFR is with a few select HQ chiefs.

Better that HCFR take over EDC rather than HCSO, at least EDC has something in common with HCFR, that is, Fire and Medical dispatching, whereas Fire and Medical always gets kicked to the back of the bus when involved with a Police entity.

BTW, I meant to ask earlier, does anyone have a question (or questions) about EDC that they're just curious about or something that has been bugging them, as I can try to answer them, and no, I'm not coming out of retirement, I'm having too much fun!

Forum Member

Default Chief Wayne Hicks Father Passed Away

Hello:

Thought you might want to know this, Wayne Hicks Father passed away, the notice is in the Tampa Tribune, Adams & Jennings has a webpage where you can sign the guest book, and send private condolences to the family, Wayne started with EMS shortly after I did, and I ate Dinner with his Parents and found both of them to be charming and lovely people.

I signed the guest book and also sent private condolences via the computer, as Wayne and I had also been partners for a time (I think I pretty much rode with everybody it seems).

He later became a EMS Supervisor and then was assimilated into HCFR as a Battalion Chief, if I remember in Battalion 7 at Station 41.

Thought someone might want to know.

Rodney
    Formerly of EDC

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney15 View Post
    Better that HCFR take over EDC rather than HCSO, at least EDC has something in common with HCFR, that is, Fire and Medical dispatching, whereas Fire and Medical always gets kicked to the back of the bus when involved with a Police entity.
    The sheriff's office is more concerned with training the dispatchers in their operations than ensuring Fire/Rescue gets good service and info on calls. We're flying blind. Some times of the day we can't even raise an operator on some tac channels and have to switch to the dispatch channel. As bad as it is, be thankful for what you have.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Actually, all I have to be thankful for is: being retired and getting out of EDC, but even though I'm no longer there, I still have friends and acquaintances with HCFR (and I still get the gossip or insider info) and I worry about their personal safety from time to time.

My worst fear is that a fire crew lets loose a "Mayday" in the field, and it's missed by EDC or the Dispatcher doesn't understand the ramifications of such a phrase, then the poop is going to hit the fan big time.

Before I finally leave this life, I love to see a Communication's Division under HCFR, run by a HQ Chief (I have my idea for the job, but there's been a recent shake-up at HQ) and the opportunity for HCFR personnel to work "light duty" in there, helping out with the telephones, instead of just at HQ.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Forum Member

Default My Insider Source Just Dried Up at HCFR

Even though I've been out of the loop for 2 years due to retirement, I still had a pipeline on insider info (read as in "gossip") at HCFR, now due to the recent shake-up at their HQ, it seems my pipeline has run dry.

I'm trying to hook up with some Chief's and Captain's who I once knew as rookies, people like Todd Burkhart and Blake Wilder who were FF's one at a time when I ran out of Station 33 and worked with Capt. Don Weller (he went to the PO) and Tim Rumrell (RIP from Cancer).

Unless someone knows different, the last I heard Chief Hicks was still at Battalion 7 and Capt. Lana was still at 36, but I'll have to keep searching for the others, my reason is that I wanted to have Lunch with them and treat them since they were old partners or acquaintances.

I had the luck to meet Miss Ellie (Chief Hall) again, since she retired and I invited her to Lunch one day.

Forum Member

Default Constructive criticism about EDC that they want me to pass on"?

Like when I used to visit the different fire stations, I would often ask "Does anyone have any constructive criticism about EDC that they want me to pass on"?

And while I'm not connected to EDC anymore, there is another "old timer" who is still a Supervisor there, and while my "opinion" doesn't matter anymore to EDC management (and never really did); coming from him, it might carry some more weight.

So if you like, pass on any and all suggestions and perhaps together, we can effect a change for the better, at least I hope!

Thread Information