Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Its basically impossible to get hired on the FDNY without having the 5 pts residency because of the amount of ppl that test.....I'm just curious though. I guess I'm comparing this one to something like New Yorks......

Forum Member

So never got to city hall today to see the list today...oh well maybe tomorrow.

Anyone hear what a good number is to be on the list???

And if i were a betting man, Im going to say im in the mid 300's
    Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    So never got to city hall today to see the list today...oh well maybe tomorrow.

Anyone hear what a good number is to be on the list???

And if i were a betting man, Im going to say im in the mid 300's

it would a better number than i am at on the list.. i scored a 90% on the results and im #2100 and i hear its a good number lol SUREEE!!!!!!!

Forum Member

i got the letter the other day and scored a 90% but im #1203 on the list i doubt i'll ever get hired.. i think it was the removing the ladder off the wall and putting it in the square on the floor since i had to run back because the tip of the ladder was touching the line... o well there is always next time or who can i pay off to flunk the cyclogical testing lol JK

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddrat1 View Post
    good job. did you have military points? I am in the 160s. i've heard i have a decent shot. i live downtown and still have not received my letter!
    Not exactly sure what's going on with the mail, but I haven't yet received my score either - and I live in Cleveland also. Fortunately, I was able to see my score at city hall. But I want my official letter. Anyone else in the Cleveland area still waiting for results to come in the mail?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got my official letter Friday. Don't know what took so long.

Forum Member

im also in cleveland and recieved my rank letter Friday, any idea when next step will be.. i got 23

Forum Member

well none of us know...i was 704 off a little bit from my guess. good job though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    well none of us know...i was 704 off a little bit from my guess. good job though
    thanks brah,.. just like the service..hurry and wiat

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFF80 View Post
    im also in cleveland and recieved my rank letter Friday, any idea when next step will be.. i got 23
    Well done. I also scored in the top 40, so I presume that's a decent position. From what I'm hearing, CFD would like to bring in a class for academy either in the spring or fall. Whenever possible they tend to avoid academy in the summer/winter due to the extremes in weather conditions. The rationale is that it's challenging enough to teach & learn proper firefighting fundamentals in ideal weather conditions. Having to contend with extreme weather often compromises the proper execution of fireground evolutions - leading to increase in injury, etc.

From what I've been told, whether academy begins in spring or fall is based on how fast they can process the background checks, medical exams, and psychological assessments. Don't be fooled by some of the naysayers out there. CLEVELAND WILL HIRE THIS YEAR. The question is when and how many classes?
    Last edited by maverick80; 01-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Forum Member

so what happens when/if the merger happens with CEMS and what happens when CEMS puts on a class, which sounds like it will happen soon, like within a month or two.

Forum Member

I assume it'll be like FDNY EMS or Detroit EMS where they say "fire" on there rigs and shirts and are stationed with them but aren't cross trained

Forum Member

as of now about 50 have 'dropped'
    by 2014 the class of 1981 will all have to leave (roughly 300) people thru the drop program.

rumor a possible class by sept this year, another in the spring of 2012.

also heard from many sources 3 classes off this test. one of 70, and two of 50.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMarc View Post
    No military points..but I do live in Cleveland so the 10 points helped...but still I got a 98 and thats awesome...I'm hoping that a couple of minor misdemanors when I was 20 don't stop them from continuing my process of becoming what I always wanted to be. both charges over 6 years old and no trouble but a couple speeding tickets since. I never thought getting these good results would put me under so much stress
    your final score was a 98? or 108 with your residency points?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    Ok, so the list is out. Most, if not all, of us know our ranking on the eligibility list. Now the question is what is considered a good spot to be in? Top 100 or 50? Also, what happens next?
    good shot from what i have heard (knowing roughly 20+ ppl on the dept) is top 200-250 over the next few years.

the city wants to call a lot of ppl off this list (because it cost the city a million bucks to give the test) so the next three years are going to be huge hire years for the city.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sergijm View Post
    Hey everyone. Congrats to all the top finishers. Does anyone have any idea what happens next. I still havent recieved a letter. Do they hire right from the top down or is there background checks still to do? Thanks for any info.
    i talked to civil service on the phone last week, they said they are gonna hire right down the list......who knows tho with the current lawsuits....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    i talked to civil service on the phone last week, they said they are gonna hire right down the list......who knows tho with the current lawsuits....
    from the rumors i have heard was that the civil service lawsuit is to try and eliminate the extra points, im not sure if this would have any effects on our previous scores

Forum Member

Seems like this thread fizzled out just as the eligibility rankings were released. You would think discussion on this thread would ramp up now that a formal hiring list is established. Perhaps there is no activity on this thread because the main contributors did not score as well as they had hoped and lost interest. Who knows...

Anyway, is there anyone out there who scored in the top 100 who has an inside track to CFD and/or city hall? What should candidates next expect in the hiring process? I know there is background and medical...but how is this conducted? Do background investigators interview candidates or will they simply run an FBI and local criminal screening? I've been through the process with a couple of other departments and they usually provide more information about what to expect during the hiring process. So far Cleveland has not shared much in this regard.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did not score in the top 100 but I have some insight. I know there is a formula for the background packets they send out. I don't think the background check is too in depth. Criminal, driving and maybe an employment check. I was told the process should start in a month or two and that was a couple weeks ago so hopefully it will start to move along. I have a full time job but want to work for cfd.

Forum Member

not in the top 100, but im really close. and i havent heard anything about moving forward, backround medical and psych test. i guess for the psych test for when guys got on in 98 they had to do a 800ish question test, and sit down and talk to a shrink for 10-15 min.
    if you havent killed anyone, or havent done anything too huge to impact your criminal record, and your near the top scorers, you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

where do you guys fall on the elegibility?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am in the 160's. I scored a 107.16. Only a couple of points seperate the top couple hundred guys.

Forum Member

I scored in the top 25, and if I remember right the score was like a 108 or 109, for sure it was less than 110!

heard similar things, to expect the background soon, sounded like no 20+ page packet or anything though. I was told to expect very little notice before an academy class started, kind of a grab your stuff, we roll next week letter. so i'd advise all to save their nickels and dimes for a few months at the academy if 10.50/hr is a paycut for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah its crazy. One question makes the difference. Well good job with being in the top 25.

Forum Member

yea i scored 108 ranked 103,
    i saw that top score was 110, but 109 ranked 2-20 ppl, and 108 went from 20 to like 120, it was crazy, the scores were determined by thousandths of a decimal separating people.

Forum Member

Last edited by mdd2121; 03-27-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Thread Information