Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Default canceled

I have just heard that Cleveland has canceled all their fire training academy classes it was stated today on the news by the cleveland mayor. it looks like cleveland fd will be going through another lay off session

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I agree with you man. I took Nashville, TN test and it was just as disorganized as CFD's. Granted NFD had 4,500 people sign up to take th physical and then 3 days of 2,200 for the written and 1,300 interviews it was still a big mess. No communitcation and no one knew what was next or what was going on.
    I have just heard that Cleveland has canceled all their fire training academy classes it was stated today on the news by the cleveland mayor. it looks like cleveland fd will be going through another lay off session

Forum Member

CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson said Wednesday afternoon that Gov. John Kasich has left city officials with no choice with his proposed state budget but to lay off city workers.

Jackson said the proposed budget will leave a $12.5 million hole in the city's budget.

Jackson said that it will likely mean laying off city public safety workers but he stopped short of actually providing figures.

It will impact all trash pick-up, street sweeping, recreation programs, park maintenance and EMS.

Channel 3 will have more on this story starting at 6 tonight.

WKYC-TV

Forum Member

EMS just started a class not too long ago. Maybe a month or so ago
    Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Forum Member

class has been cancelled... see you guys in a couple years

Forum Member

is the city honored to recall those who were supposed to go thru the EMS class when they decide to hire?

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: didnt you have a interview with CEMS? what ever happened with that?

Forum Member

yeah did...and got a letter that said I didn't make it. Got friends with CEMS and they were told they wanted guys with previous experiance but apparently my 4 years with a fire and ems dept and my 6 months out of medic school on a private wasn't experiance enough for them and a buddy I went to medic school with who worked for a racetrack seasonally once did have enough experiance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson said Wednesday afternoon that Gov. John Kasich has left city officials with no choice with his proposed state budget but to lay off city workers.

Jackson said the proposed budget will leave a $12.5 million hole in the city's budget.

Jackson said that it will likely mean laying off city public safety workers but he stopped short of actually providing figures.

It will impact all trash pick-up, street sweeping, recreation programs, park maintenance and EMS.

Channel 3 will have more on this story starting at 6 tonight.

WKYC-TV
    So, what does all this mean for Cleveland Fire? Is it over, just like that? No new class this year?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    So, what does all this mean for Cleveland Fire? Is it over, just like that? No new class this year?
    from what i've heard on the news it sure does sound like it, and i assume the ems/ paramedic class will have to completely start all over again once this mess is all cleaned up

Best of luck to all you guys..

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: wow that sucks, there seems to be some political stuff underlying there, if what you say is true regarding your experience, it seems CEMS didnt call a legit candidate to their class.

@zarack808: i honestly dont think it will affect fire, they ALREADY budgeted a class of 50 for this year, they WILL HAVE to hire; there are too many retirements happening, overtime is going thru the roof, and they already have the money set aside, i dont see a reason they call it off. but dont quote me, because im using common sense to make a prediction, but sometimes what we think and hear isnt true....so who knows......they have to hire tho. eventually they have to hire, this year or next year, with retirements and NFPA staffing standards, it will come eventually, they are processing 100 ppl now, once we get our conditional letters of employment we are locked in, no matter what, its just a guess of when we get those letters after all the psych & med checks. but once we get those letters we are golden, til then, cross your fingers and shoot up a prayer to master J, and we'll see what goes on.

anyone here planning on taking Columbus Fire test?

Forum Member

@johnsmith1989:
    Unfortunately, I'm not so optimistic. I just read several news reports quoting the mayor as stating that police and fire WILL be affected by layoffs - and soon! These news outlets (WKYC, WEWS, Plain Dealer) are projecting cuts down to the bone, with whole fire companies shutting down. If there are layoffs, then there can't be any hiring until the firefighters are called back and who knows when that will be.

You mentioned that the city already budgeted for a class of 50 firefighters. That is correct; but that figure was based on the mayor's budget prior to Kasich's budget proposal. The mayor's budget assumed that there wouldn't be any cuts to the local government fund. Well, Kasich in fact slashed Cleveland's local government fund by 25% for 2011 and cut 50% for 2012. Police and Fire take up 60% of Cleveland's overall operating budget. So, with cuts like these, SIGNIFICANT layoffs are coming.

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: wow that sucks, there seems to be some political stuff underlying there, if what you say is true regarding your experience, it seems CEMS didnt call a legit candidate to their class.

anyone here planning on taking Columbus Fire test?
    Yeah I agree man. I heard that they did not hire anyone who asked about the merger in the interview. I did but I prefaced it with I didn't want to become a member of CEMS and then be forced out of a job I love to do. I do think a lot of it was politics as CEMS jobs are not civil service so they can pick who they want. This is good and bad.

Also yes, I sent my stuff in to take Columbus Fire's test...I figure why not can't hurt.

Forum Member

@zarack808: yea man surfed thru some local news sites, its not lookin good. damn, well with this possible gov't shutdown, who knows whats gonna happen. gotta love politics.....

Forum Member

I've talked to some friends in Cleveland....if they hire anyone for CFD, it'll be a miracle. And chances are, they'll have to sign a waiver stating they understand that any job offer they receive can be rescinded during the academy due to lay offs.

Sorry for the news boys. Hang in there.
    Pete

Forum Member

Just saw something that made me curious. I was viewing the Homeland Security website to gather some information about the SAFER Grant and saw that Cleveland was awarded a $3 million grant in April, 2011 (so, within the last several days). No big deal, right? One would expect Cleveland to apply for such a grant. But what made me curious is that one of the grant's stipulations is that the city MUST hire new fire personnel within 90 days of being awarded the SAFER funds.

On one end you hear that Cleveland is going to have to layoff police and firefighters, cancel academy, and close fire stations. But this SAFER grant requires the city bring on new cadets within 3 months. Just something to think about...
    Last edited by zarack808; 04-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Forum Member

Just saw something that made me curious. I was viewing the Homeland Security website to gather some information about the SAFER Grant and saw that Cleveland was awarded a $3 million grant in April, 2011 (so, within the last several days). No big deal, right? One would expect Cleveland to apply for such a grant. But what made me curious is that one of the grant's stipulations is that the city MUST hire new fire personnel within 90 days of being awarded the SAFER funds.

On one end you hear that Cleveland is going to have to layoff police and firefighters, cancel academy, and close fire stations. But this SAFER grant requires the city bring on new cadets within 3 months. Just something to think about...
    But a safer grants can also be used to prevent layoffs...

Forum Member

where did you find this? I just checked the latest safer grants and didn't find anything about Cleveland

Forum Member

this is cool to hear.....if its true. it makes sense then because the promo test was announced last week, its scheduled in beginning of june (60ish days away) they might throw together a class in the 30 days after the promo. that would be great for the top 50 guys.

Forum Member

this is cool to hear.....if its true. it makes sense then because the promo test was announced last week, its scheduled in beginning of june (60ish days away) they might throw together a class in the 30 days after the promo. that would be great for the top 50 guys.
    Don't get peoples' hopes, this will not be happening, they are absolutely laying off

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    where did you find this? I just checked the latest safer grants and didn't find anything about Cleveland
    For some reason I can't seem to capture the link from the Homeland Security webpage. However, I found this news article announcing that Cleveland Fire Dept was awarded a SAFER Grant in the amount of $3,482,937. http://downtown.woio.com/news/news/f...-heights/55848

According to the info I saw on the web, the SAFER funds were disbursed some time this month (although the award was officially announced in late February). Pursuant to SAFER Grant stipulations, the funds must be used to bring on new cadets within 90 days of disbursement.
    Last edited by zarack808; 04-10-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    But a safer grants can also be used to prevent layoffs...
    Yeah, you're right. SAFER grants can be used to prevent layoffs also. But the city applying for the grant has to clearly state what purpose the grant will be used for - either to prevent layoffs and/or to hire new cadets. When doing so, the city has to provide relatively exact numbers and dollar figures for the cost to train, pay, and retain the new cadets for a period of 3 to 5 years. Once awarded, the SAFER grant has to be used solely for the stated purpose. The city is not permitted to reallocate the funds for a different purpose (e.g., prevent layoffs instead of hiring new firefighters when hiring was the purpose of the grant). In such case, the city would have to return the funds and re-apply for a separate grant in accordance with preventing layoffs or returning laid off firefighters. If a city is requesting SAFER grant funds for the purpose of preventing layoffs, the city has to apply for the grant within 60 days of layoff notices going out.

Based on what I can tell, Cleveland applied for the SAFER grant in order to hire new cadets - not to prevent layoffs. The city applied for and received the funds in the middle of its recruitment process. But now that the crap has hit the fan in Cleveland, it will be interesting to see whether Cleveland keeps the money, returns it, or whatever.
    Last edited by zarack808; 04-10-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Forum Member

and also, cleveland just found out how much money its losing when Kasich released his budget (two/three weeks ago), i dont think the city knew then that they were going to lose money out of the state funded budget, thus applied for the SAFER grant to fill positions, not protect them.

Forum Member

I googled 2011 safer grant recipients and clicked the link on fema's website at the top. Go to 2010 winners and scroll way down to see cleveland' s award. It says right there the award is for hiring. That said they could return the money. Cleveland heights did in the past so who knows.

MembersZone Subscriber

so did westlake
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information