Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

I have it on very solid authority that Cleveland Fire background packets and applications will be going out next week to the top 200 candidates.

I was also informed that in addition to facing disqualification for felony convictions, Cleveland's background investigation will include disqualification for unsatisfactory credit history. According to my source, persons with bankruptcy, repossession, and/or collections & charge off accounts will face automatic elimination. This is new for Cleveland Fire.

In light of recent economic conditions in northeast Ohio, I have a feeling that a lot of people will fall short in this category. If you are under 25 years old, then you should have nothing to worry about. Frankly, you probably haven't had credit long enough to mess it up. For those of you in your late 20's and early 30's who may have hit a rough patch or two along the way, good luck.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 02-14-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Forum Member

you know its funny. I found my letter with my results on it today while cleaning out my desk. If I lived in Cleveland I would have been in the top probably 100 with a 107...blows with the extra 10 points for living in cleveland.

Just goes to show you that hard work will get you close but opportunity and dumb luck will get you the job

Forum Member

Default Senate Bill 5

If some of you have not noticed Ohio's current state senate has introduced a bill that will effectively end collective bargaining as we know it in OH. This bill will result in less pay, benefits and rights that many of us have fought hard for. We need everyone's help. This is a very serious concern for current and Future OH Firefighters. Please take the time to find out who your local state senator and state representative are and send them a letter (e-mail) and a phone call to their state office telling them you oppose this bill. Please be professional. Insults and name calling will not help our cause. For more info please go to www.oapff.com.

Forum Member

Default found something interesting

Since I saw Frank Jackson's budget proposal was online at the city of Cleveland's website, I figured I'd take a look at the funding levels for Cleveland Fire. If you scroll down to page 295 (labeled page 289) of the PDF located here: http://www.city.cleveland.oh.us/clnd...rsEstimate.pdf you can see the city's proposed funding of the department for 2011.

For those who don't want to look, the budget is there for 50 Trainees at $10.50/hr. Therefore, it is reasonable to expect a class of 50 this year to be fielded. Kind of just confirms what has already been said, but has more of a concrete number. Looks like they are budgeting for the loss of about 40 journeyman FF's this year, evidenced also by the seperation pay they have budgeted for.

Forum Member

Any updates or 411 on Cleveland's list? Have packets gone out yet? Hopefully someone has useful info.

Forum Member

not sure if everyone saw or heard the news article, CFD just got 3 or 4 million from fed govt, heard a few different stories on what they are trying to do with it. some of what ive heard are conflicting rumors
    -heard they were doing top 200 backround checks
    -heard they were taking top 100 ppl, and processing them (backround, medical, etc) and putting those people in the academy this year after the promo exam
    -promo exam is being held in april or may, i forgot what the FF i talked to told me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    not sure if everyone saw or heard the news article, CFD just got 3 or 4 million from fed govt, heard a few different stories on what they are trying to do with it. some of what ive heard are conflicting rumors
    -heard they were doing top 200 backround checks
    -heard they were taking top 100 ppl, and processing them (backround, medical, etc) and putting those people in the academy this year after the promo exam
    -promo exam is being held in april or may, i forgot what the FF i talked to told me
    I, too, heard that Cleveland is planning to start an academy class very soon after the promotional exam (to be given within next 60 days). That means we should expect background checks to begin soon.

johnsmith1989, have you heard whether they've already begun background investigations? I've received conflicting information on how the background process works. One person said Cleveland will probably do a BCI/FBI check, driving record, and psych interview. Another CFD person said the investigators will probably visit your home, talk with your neighbors, family, and friends. Seems like the latter would take a very long time for 100 plus candidates, especially if they are trying to put on a class in late spring or early summer. Does anyone know with a fair amount of certainty what is involved in Cleveland's background investigation?
    Last edited by maverick80; 02-28-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone know the date that the promo exam will be given?

Forum Member

@maverick80-not sure about the backround, def a FBI check, and based on what they find they might call references/neighbors/past employers.

@FIREJAWZ-not sure when promo is going on, but chief collins (who ran Don Mcnea fire school) is putting on a study class for the promo, and i saw the SOP & General Orders of CFD that they are reviewing for the test, and the book is HUGE, picture two reams of paper in a massive six inch high binder clip, thats what they have to review for the test, 1,000+ pages. sick.

Forum Member

Check your mail. Got a letter dated 3/1 that needs to be signed + returned to city hall by 3-8 to continue to be considered.

Forum Member

I'd love to move back to Cleveland to work for Cleveland FD.
    I grew up in the area (east sider), and also my uncle worked for and retired a Cleveland firefighter.. wonder if that gives me any points??

Forum Member

Yeah those who received letters will want to take them downtown asap. They are scheduling an interview when you drop the letter off, so first come gets first appointment. Background packet is only about 12 pages.

Forum Member

@ fromCLE: I also submitted my form to City Hall. A bit of a zoo downtown with the S.B. 5 protestors and Mayor Jackson's state of the city address today.

Anyway, I've read some of your previous posts and you seem to be relatively well informed about the process (I assume you have an "informant" within CFD). Any info on how many people received this Certification notice? Also, what do you know about the background checks? Have they been completed already, or should we expect to receive a personal history questionaire like they give to the police applicants?

Forum Member

No one scheduled an interview with me when I submitted my form. I simply returned my signed paperwork to civil service and the safety dept as instructed. The desk clerk thanked me and said "have a nice day." Were they suppose to schedule my interview and give me my background packet when I turned in my form?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    No one scheduled an interview with me when I submitted my form. I simply returned my signed paperwork to civil service and the safety dept as instructed. The desk clerk thanked me and said "have a nice day." Were they suppose to schedule my interview and give me my background packet when I turned in my form?
    yeah I was a little surprised too, since no mention was made and the rumor mill didn't see an interview of any sort.

there was a table in the hallway by civil service, room 119, when I went in the morning labeled fire with a (I believe) captain sitting there. I asked him, and he told me to come back when I dropped my letters off to their respective locations. you fill out a basic info sheet (name, addy, phone, etc.) and get a letter with a date and time(scheduled at the table) to see "a fire official" at headquarters (1645 superior, corner of E. 17th) to drop off the packet. as I said, about 12 pages, mostly employment and residence info, along with the typical are you trying to overthrow the country questions.

I don't have an informant, I do know someone who I can ask questions though. Being public employment, much of this stuff is out there if you ask or do a little research. I guess I prefer to only post facts and avoid speculation/rumors that later wind up being far from the truth

Forum Member

Ok, so I have a question about a tricky situation. In October 2010, I applied for a position with the City of Cleveland that was completely unrelated to the Fire Dept. Well, as timing would have it, the position is now available but only as a temporary assignment. I have been scheduled to interview on Monday. I am currently between jobs and could use the income. I am also ranked in the top 50 on the Fire eligibility list. Needless to say, I am conflicted about how to proceed. Is it improper to accept a job with the city when there is a reasonable possibility that I will get called up to the Fire Dept some time within the next 2 to 6 months? Will the Fire Dept frown on me for taking a job with the city in a different department when I'm trying to get hired on as a firefighter? Thanks for your feedback on this.

Forum Member

I'd say go forward. In my opinion sinc you arent working its even less of a question. Nothing is guaranteed until it happens. I promise there are people who ranked who are on eligibility lists for other depts anyways. Gaps in employment arent the best thing anyways to explain.

Forum Member

Cleveland is conducting background interviews during the 4th week in March. In the past, the background investigation & medical exams were conducted prior to the interview and the interviews were the last step in the process before candidates were hired to begin academy. It seems this time that they are combining the background check and interview process.

Candidates were given a 12 page background questionaire to complete and return at their scheduled interview date. During the interview an officer with Cleveland Fire will go over the background questionaire with the candidate. I assume this would be an opportunity to address any questionable issues directly, as opposed to discovering problematic issues after the fact.

Although candidates are required to submit this detailed background packet during the interview, I am compelled to think that a preliminary background investigation will have been completed by CFD prior to the interview. The reason I say this is because when candidates picked up the background packet, they were also given an orange form to fill out at City Hall. This form asked for current and previous address information, social security number, drivers license number, physical description, and a few other personal items. I think they will use this info to run a preliminary background so that they can compare their findings with the information provided in our background packet during the interview.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 03-08-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Forum Member

So is this a suit and tie interview? Or a just don't look like a schmuck when you walk in interview?

Also, I do think they need your signed consent to run your credit, so I wouldn't count on that portion being completed by the interview date. Although, one could have already signed that right away at some point in the past and it wouldn't surprise me...

Forum Member

@fromCLE: I'm not sure if they want us dressed in our Sunday best for these interviews, but I would suggest that you wear something nice and look professional. These interviews will be conducted by Chiefs and Captains, so appearance matters.

I think you are correct about them not doing credit checks. To my knowledge we never signed a release giving permission a for credit check. Also, our personal history packet does not inquire about credit history. So, I'm betting that credit is not an issue for now.

Thread Information