Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

anyone know when this medical or psych stuff is supposed to start?
    yes at the interview an academy this year of 50 then next year either 50 or they will process 25 more and make it an academy of 75.

heard a lot of ppl didnt make it thru backgrounds

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    heard a lot of ppl didnt make it thru backgrounds
    Are you referring to the interview or the fingerprinting? Did the Chiefs tell people during the interview that they were disqualified? How did candidates find out?

As for the medical and psych, I was told 4 to 6 weeks from the time of the interview. We'll see though.

I'm confident that the City is going to put through up to two classes this year. My source told me that the Fire Dept wanted to have a class in academy already, but the delay was due to the promo exam coming in May. Apparently, study time leading up to promo exams is very sacred and is not to be interrupted. It would be unfair to have instructors teaching academy and thus unable to prepare themselves for the promotional exam while everyone else has free time. Once the exam is over, I expect the City to be full steam ahead with processing the list for academy.

Forum Member

yea hopefully man, well some of my buddies are studying for the promo, but they havent given the date of the exam, which kind of stinks because those guys studying dont have a date to work back from. and i think there might be a rule about promo exams that a date of the exam is to be announced at least three months before the test, so i think those guys have a while before they fill in the scantron sheets for the promo.

also, a diff buddy is going thru the instructor course to teach at the academy, and he has no idea when things will be pushed thru.

Forum Member

I have become annoyed with the city's apparent reluctance to publish information about what to expect throughout the hiring process. Just as a source for comparison, I have posted info for the Columbus, Ohio firefighter exam (see below). You will see that Columbus has a testing process that is detailed, organized, and planned out in advance. Conversely, it seems that the folks in Cleveland don't know what's happening from one week to the next. Which begs the question:

WHY CAN'T CLEVELAND BE THIS ORGANIZED??? It's rather simple. Create a plan, then organize and execute. Instead, it seems like Cleveland is flying by the seat of its pants with the testing and hiring process. No one seems to know what the next phases are and when they will be carried out. It's like the city goes out of its way to complicate the process and keep people guessing. As candidates we realize that this is a long process. However, all we want going forward is pertinent information about what to expect in the hiring process and some sort of time line - even if it's an approximate time line. If there are any Cleveland officials or CFD members on this forum, please take a page from Columbus and be more organized and transparent. SEE BELOW

Columbus, Ohio Firefighter Examination
    Important Dates
    EVENT
    DATE
    Study Guide available online now!
    November 2010
    Accepting Applications for Firefighter
    Applications accepted online only @ www.csc.columbus.gov However, you may apply online in our office at
    750 Piedmont Road, Columbus, Ohio 43224.
    March 10–April 10, 2011
    Information Sessions
    **Optional**
    Each Information session provides the same information; therefore candidates do not need to attend multiple sessions.
    April 19, 21, 25, and 27 at 6:00p.m.
    Saturday, April 23 10:00a.m. or 2:00p.m.
    Specific examination and physical practice dates will be assigned to each candidate
    See study guide for detailed information regarding each phase of the exam
    Phase I: The Multiple Choice Exam
    May 2011
    Physical practice dates
    July 2011
    Phase II: Physical Exam and Phase III: FOAM Exam
    August 2011
    Veteran’s Preference Documentation Due
    August 31, 2011
    Eligible List Established*
    November 2011
    *ONLY Candidates successful on ALL THREE phases of the Firefighter Examination will be eligible to become a Columbus Firefighter.
    NOTE: Fire Training Academy Classes beginning in 2011 will be filled with candidates from the 2006 Firefighter Eligible List. This exam will create a 2011 Firefighter Eligible List and will be used to fill fire academy classes in 2012 and 2013.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 04-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Forum Member

I agree with you man. I took Nashville, TN test and it was just as disorganized as CFD's. Granted NFD had 4,500 people sign up to take th physical and then 3 days of 2,200 for the written and 1,300 interviews it was still a big mess. No communitcation and no one knew what was next or what was going on.

Forum Member

Default canceled

I have just heard that Cleveland has canceled all their fire training academy classes it was stated today on the news by the cleveland mayor. it looks like cleveland fd will be going through another lay off session

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I agree with you man. I took Nashville, TN test and it was just as disorganized as CFD's. Granted NFD had 4,500 people sign up to take th physical and then 3 days of 2,200 for the written and 1,300 interviews it was still a big mess. No communitcation and no one knew what was next or what was going on.
    I have just heard that Cleveland has canceled all their fire training academy classes it was stated today on the news by the cleveland mayor. it looks like cleveland fd will be going through another lay off session

Forum Member

CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson said Wednesday afternoon that Gov. John Kasich has left city officials with no choice with his proposed state budget but to lay off city workers.

Jackson said the proposed budget will leave a $12.5 million hole in the city's budget.

Jackson said that it will likely mean laying off city public safety workers but he stopped short of actually providing figures.

It will impact all trash pick-up, street sweeping, recreation programs, park maintenance and EMS.

Channel 3 will have more on this story starting at 6 tonight.

WKYC-TV

Forum Member

EMS just started a class not too long ago. Maybe a month or so ago

Forum Member

class has been cancelled... see you guys in a couple years

Forum Member

is the city honored to recall those who were supposed to go thru the EMS class when they decide to hire?

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: didnt you have a interview with CEMS? what ever happened with that?

Forum Member

yeah did...and got a letter that said I didn't make it. Got friends with CEMS and they were told they wanted guys with previous experiance but apparently my 4 years with a fire and ems dept and my 6 months out of medic school on a private wasn't experiance enough for them and a buddy I went to medic school with who worked for a racetrack seasonally once did have enough experiance.

Forum Member

CLEVELAND -- Mayor Frank Jackson said Wednesday afternoon that Gov. John Kasich has left city officials with no choice with his proposed state budget but to lay off city workers.

Jackson said the proposed budget will leave a $12.5 million hole in the city's budget.

Jackson said that it will likely mean laying off city public safety workers but he stopped short of actually providing figures.

It will impact all trash pick-up, street sweeping, recreation programs, park maintenance and EMS.

Channel 3 will have more on this story starting at 6 tonight.

WKYC-TV
    So, what does all this mean for Cleveland Fire? Is it over, just like that? No new class this year?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    So, what does all this mean for Cleveland Fire? Is it over, just like that? No new class this year?
    from what i've heard on the news it sure does sound like it, and i assume the ems/ paramedic class will have to completely start all over again once this mess is all cleaned up

Best of luck to all you guys..

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: wow that sucks, there seems to be some political stuff underlying there, if what you say is true regarding your experience, it seems CEMS didnt call a legit candidate to their class.

@zarack808: i honestly dont think it will affect fire, they ALREADY budgeted a class of 50 for this year, they WILL HAVE to hire; there are too many retirements happening, overtime is going thru the roof, and they already have the money set aside, i dont see a reason they call it off. but dont quote me, because im using common sense to make a prediction, but sometimes what we think and hear isnt true....so who knows......they have to hire tho. eventually they have to hire, this year or next year, with retirements and NFPA staffing standards, it will come eventually, they are processing 100 ppl now, once we get our conditional letters of employment we are locked in, no matter what, its just a guess of when we get those letters after all the psych & med checks. but once we get those letters we are golden, til then, cross your fingers and shoot up a prayer to master J, and we'll see what goes on.

anyone here planning on taking Columbus Fire test?

Forum Member

@johnsmith1989:
    Unfortunately, I'm not so optimistic. I just read several news reports quoting the mayor as stating that police and fire WILL be affected by layoffs - and soon! These news outlets (WKYC, WEWS, Plain Dealer) are projecting cuts down to the bone, with whole fire companies shutting down. If there are layoffs, then there can't be any hiring until the firefighters are called back and who knows when that will be.

You mentioned that the city already budgeted for a class of 50 firefighters. That is correct; but that figure was based on the mayor's budget prior to Kasich's budget proposal. The mayor's budget assumed that there wouldn't be any cuts to the local government fund. Well, Kasich in fact slashed Cleveland's local government fund by 25% for 2011 and cut 50% for 2012. Police and Fire take up 60% of Cleveland's overall operating budget. So, with cuts like these, SIGNIFICANT layoffs are coming.

Forum Member

@ffmedicmatt: wow that sucks, there seems to be some political stuff underlying there, if what you say is true regarding your experience, it seems CEMS didnt call a legit candidate to their class.

anyone here planning on taking Columbus Fire test?
    Yeah I agree man. I heard that they did not hire anyone who asked about the merger in the interview. I did but I prefaced it with I didn't want to become a member of CEMS and then be forced out of a job I love to do. I do think a lot of it was politics as CEMS jobs are not civil service so they can pick who they want. This is good and bad.

Also yes, I sent my stuff in to take Columbus Fire's test...I figure why not can't hurt.

Forum Member

@zarack808: yea man surfed thru some local news sites, its not lookin good. damn, well with this possible gov't shutdown, who knows whats gonna happen. gotta love politics.....

I've talked to some friends in Cleveland....if they hire anyone for CFD, it'll be a miracle. And chances are, they'll have to sign a waiver stating they understand that any job offer they receive can be rescinded during the academy due to lay offs.

Sorry for the news boys. Hang in there.
    Pete

Thread Information