Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Sure, fighting fires in vacant boarded up homes that some thug firebombed because he was bored and dealing with nasty low life people all day. I don't think it depends on what kind of firefighter you want to be it depends on whether or not you have any common sense to not want to do deal with that stuff or not
    That's a pretty bold statement. Common Sense? or rather a lack thereof as you implied? I'd call it a matter of preference. One may argue they'd much rather "deal with that stuff" than shuffle grandma to the ER all day for flu like symptoms.

Aside from the volume and types of runs, you will find vastly different cultures within each type of department. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to have your pick as to which best suites you.

oh, and if you think the inner city is the only place where you'll encounter people that may not live up to your standard of living, guess again.

good luck to all

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddrat1 View Post
    I can't imagine anybody getting hired anytime soon either. I live in the city and it is a dump. The residents are on their own. Mayor Jackson doesn't [care] about public safety. Just watch the news. Everyday there are murders, rapes and fires. Lots of them and cops and firefighters are still laid off. I love this city and love living downtown but it is nasty! Just my opinion
    You are precisely right. Mayor Jackson even admitted as much today. When responding to a Fox 8 News reporter's question about what he plans to do to address the spike in homicides, Jackson gave this statement...

"the state-imposed budget cuts have meant that we've had to reduce some police force, but that just means that it's the community's opportunity to step-up and really have an impact on what's going on with crime in our community." http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-clevela...tory?track=rss

So, how exactly are residents supposed to restore the order? Vigilante justice? What a joke this guy is!

MembersZone Subscriber

I love this city but it is nasty. I live downtown and it is really nasty downtown too.
    I moved from the burbs to the city in 1998 now i cant't wait to get out of here. I wanted this job just as bad as anyone else but i don't think there is a big reward here. The citizens don't give two ****s about you and neither does the city. I felt safer in rio de jeneiro this summer than i do walking in my neighborhood

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdd2121 View Post
    That's a pretty bold statement. Common Sense? or rather a lack thereof as you implied? I'd call it a matter of preference. One may argue they'd much rather "deal with that stuff" than shuffle grandma to the ER all day for flu like symptoms.

Aside from the volume and types of runs, you will find vastly different cultures within each type of department. Hopefully you will be lucky enough to have your pick as to which best suites you.

oh, and if you think the inner city is the only place where you'll encounter people that may not live up to your standard of living, guess again.

good luck to all
    odds man, odds. Yes, in the burbs you are going to get your fair share of lower than normal standard people but trust me, I work in one of the ER's downtown and the amount of people that not only CEMS are bringing in but CFD bring in as well (since CEMS is short the CFD rescue trucks are just large ALS trucks) far outweight the amount of trash that say Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights bring in.

Now I agree. Fighting fire in a vacant structure is just dumb. Surround and drown. It'll do two-fold. 1, you are saving your guys from potential harm. 2, you are getting rid of rundown sh*tholes and therefore maybe making it a better place. Skewed thinking I know but eh, we're all a little off.

Also, don't think that this BS about classes not happening isn't affecting the current line guys. They all want new guys to come on. There are a lot and I mean ALOT of line guys that have been on CFD for years who are just fed up with the BS runs and all of the BS in total. Same as the CEMS guys are burned out after just a few years...if that.

Will a class happen? yeah. When? eh end of 2012/start of 2013. I'll stay where I'm at for now doing my ER thing but when I get that call sometime soon for (insert surbuban fire dept here), I won't even think twice about saying yes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicintheCLE View Post
    Will a class happen? yeah. When? eh end of 2012/start of 2013...
    @ffmedicintheCLE: Is this your own guesstimate or did someone in CFD mention these dates as a realistic time frame?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    @ffmedicintheCLE: Is this your own guesstimate or did someone in CFD mention these dates as a realistic time frame?
    sorry should have clarified it...my guesstimate I will talk to a few of the guys though when I see them about if they hear any grumbling about anything (merger, class, ect)

Forum Member

I heard that There are expected to be 100-150 CLE Firefighters retiring in the next few years.. Is this true or just some BS?

Forum Member

There are 100-150 leaving every "few years."

Forum Member

The next academy class for the Cleveland Division of Fire will be late summer or fall of 2013. For those in that first class, I hope to see you there. Until then, be safe and stay out of trouble.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GJ_NEOhio View Post
    The next academy class for the Cleveland Division of Fire will be late summer or fall of 2013. For those in that first class, I hope to see you there. Until then, be safe and stay out of trouble.
    Whats this based on?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    Whats this based on?
    @Cub2311: This is good info from a very reliable source. Unfortunately, I cannot be more specific. You don't have to take my word. Heck, I too would be skeptical if someone else made the same assertion without citing the source of information.

Are you on the list? If so, are you in range of hire? Send me a PM and we can chat more.

Forum Member

Yes, and yes... LOTS of people, including myself, have posted information from "reliable sources," unfortunately much of that has turned out to be BS, whether it was positive or negative info.

Forum Member

Based on rumors! Will there even be anyone left in cleveland in 2013? Hope the last person to leave turns the lights out!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Hope the last person to leave turns the lights out!
    Maybe its like Motel 8..."We'll leave the light on for ya."

Forum Member

Don't forget, the single most important thing anyone on the list that wants a shot at getting on the job (with any department) can do is to vote NO on issue 2 and remind everyone they know to do the same.

Forum Member

Don't forget, the single most important thing anyone on the list that wants a shot at getting on the job (with any department) can do is to vote NO on issue 2 and remind everyone they know to do the same.
    How exactly will repealing SB5 improve our chances at getting hired? From what I understand, city officials are more inclined to layoff and initiate hiring freezes if SB5 is repealed because they claim that unions are demanding too much money and benefits. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

...btw, I'm voting no on Issue 2. But I still don't see how that helps us out as jobseekers.

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

SB allows the municipalities/government to determine staffing levels. For example, if the City of Columbus decides under SB 5 that only 2 men are needed per ladder truck (in order to save money), versus more, then there is no negotiating that. Less staff per truck means less hiring in the future.

I see my husbands pay stub, and I see for a fact that he is contributing to his pension and health care, unlike what Pro-SB5 people are saying. SB5 is a straight up union busting bill trying to be disguised as something that will save taxpayers money. I am even a Republican and I can see this, so I have already voted No on 2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
    SB allows the municipalities/government to determine staffing levels. For example, if the City of Columbus decides under SB 5 that only 2 men are needed per ladder truck (in order to save money), versus more, then there is no negotiating that. Less staff per truck means less hiring in the future.

I see my husbands pay stub, and I see for a fact that he is contributing to his pension and health care, unlike what Pro-SB5 people are saying. SB5 is a straight up union busting bill trying to be disguised as something that will save taxpayers money. I am even a Republican and I can see this, so I have already voted No on 2.
    @IrishLake: thanks for the explanation.

Forum Member

Hey gents, just curious. When is the voting day for the local ballots, like Issue 2?

Thanks,
    Pete

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Election day is November 8.

Absentee ballots (how I voted) must be postmarked by November 7th (in case anyone else in Ohio on here will be voting that way).

Forum Member

So Columbus, Toledo, and even Barberton is moving forward with hiring firefighters...but Cleveland is still stuck in the mud. Heck, Cleveland FD is probably in the most need of new blood. Didn't the mayor give a press release a few weeks ago stating the budget was in good shape now and that revenues are better than expected? What is the city waiting for? Lets get moving! ...starting to doubt more and more about Cleveland

Forum Member

I'm still holding out for spring '12

Forum Member

I'm still holding out for spring '12
    Spring of 2012...man, that's optimistic. Just curious to know why you think something will happen that soon.

Forum Member

Didn't vote often, but did vote early. Urge everyone to do the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/214171/45/Cleveland-firefighters-EMS-to-merge

here is some news....

who knows what it will actually mean for you'all
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information