Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

I have noticed that there hasn't been much discussion of the Cleveland Fire Exam. I'm curious to know if anyone else on this forum has taken the test, and if so, whether you heard anything about scores or when they will be conducting the physical ability test.

I've attempted to inquire with civil service but the folks over there are very tight-lipped about everything. I've been preparing for the PAT but it's hard to plan my workout program without having any idea about when the physical ability test will occur.

If there are any Cleveland firefighters out there, do you have any information on what the city has planned thus far? Are they really looking to hire - and how soon?

Forum Member

I as well as many others on here took the Cleveland test not to long ago. Today I tried to call Human Resources to try and find out what was going on. The lady told me that the tests had not been graded yet which leads me to believe that the physical agility test will not be held when Cleveland said they should be. As much as I didnt want to hear that today I was glad to finally get through to someone who had some idea of what was going on. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Any new news? Maybe someone from CFD can give us a juicy rumor? Stirr this thread up a bit....

MembersZone Subscriber

it would not surprise me if we didnt get our results until next year.

Forum Member

Toddrat1, I share your sentiments. Having lived in Cleveland my entire life, I have concluded that city officials here have an aversion to being organized, efficient, and sensible. It's as if their incompetence is compulsive in nature.

All we can do is wait and make sure that we're ready for the CPAT whenever it occurs - hopefully sooner than later.

Forum Member

Get ready guys! Just talked with a lady at Clevelands civil service dept and she said they will be sending out letters next week or the week after for the agility.

Forum Member

That is great news! Thanks for the update. Any details on the events or how the physical ability test will be administered?

Forum Member

The way the lady in the civil service dept explained it to me, she said they would have the local Cleveland people test first and then the rest of us. As for how the test is going to be set up that is anyones guess at this point. Good luck to all and keep this thread updated if you hear anything new.

Forum Member

Just spoke on the phone with folks at civil service and they said CPAT invitations went out in mail yesterday (Monday). I'm not in town at the moment. Has anyone received their letter? What does it say?

Forum Member

No letter as of yet. Although it seems that I usually get my letters from Cleveland about a week after they send it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i live downtown and nothing today. i did change my address in person so i am pretty sure they messed it up and sent it to the wrong house.

Forum Member

Default i got mine

I did get a letter today, my date is Nov. 2. No score, but says that I scored high enough to participate in the phys. portion, combined score will come afterwards w/ residency and veterans bonus, etc.

Check that mail!!!

Forum Member

Got my letter yesterday. It says I have a PAT on the 17th? Anyone out there have any idea how many are coming back for the PAT?

Forum Member

I got mine in the mail today. It looks like my day is Nov. 29th.

Forum Member

Exclamation ...tisk, tisk tisk

CFDWARRIOR: I don't believe this posting is very becoming of a CURRENT FIREFIGHTER, obviously you ARE NOT A BONAFIDE CLEVELAND RESIDENT...your statement, I quote" You must realize that many of the "residents" won't score high enough even with the extra points". I'm sure with you representing the CFD, you should retract that biased statement, however, I AM A BONAFIDE RESIDENT AND scored high enough, I'm sure there WERE plenty more "residents" that did aswell. You're inside "scoop" was very condescending. Glad your info isn't on here or I'd surely report you.

Forum Member

CFDWARRIOR: I don't believe this posting is very becoming of a CURRENT FIREFIGHTER, obviously you ARE NOT A BONAFIDE CLEVELAND RESIDENT...your statement, I quote" You must realize that many of the "residents" won't score high enough even with the extra points". I'm sure with you representing the CFD, you should retract that biased statement, however, I AM A BONAFIDE RESIDENT AND scored high enough, I'm sure there WERE plenty more "residents" that did aswell. You're inside "scoop" was very condescending. Glad your info isn't on here or I'd surely report you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleCandidate1 View Post
    I can only pray that youaor any of your other self righteous, me first, oh you better not offend me pretending mutts ever get hired onto this job. People like you will never be the real deal, You are a bonafide outsider looking in and hopefully will always remain such. Theres a special place for you in a very warm place...
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Yikes! Getting tense in here...

Forum Member

Intense indeed...not sure how this thread deteriorated into an exchange of insults. To be sure, I typically enjoy candor and good banter like the next person, but lets try to stay on topic folks.

Anyone have any useful information to contribute about the upcoming physical agility test?

Forum Member

MONTVILLE: I am sorry...was my response to CFDWARRIOR somehow targeted at you, I do know how these forums work, whereas it is public; however I see you also must have reservations about that 10 point bonus for residents. Hate the system not the 'mutts' your speaking of. Im sure which is code for some other descriptive! perhaps you need to be comforted. Get over it. Outside or inside has no relevance to his response, even still very irresponsible for someone in his position. Its called professionalism. As a professional Mr. CFD has lets say...an obligation, he must watch his mouth just like you have in your post 'mutts'. I will gladly keep you posted on my progress thru this challenging process, as I said I did pass the test, next stage is the agility test. You will be the first, well second...no maybe 4th to know if I continue on. Because you are so concerned, being that you are in Memphis and posting on a Cleveland based forum. Good day sir.

Forum Member

FemaleCandidate1
    You're going to have a VERY DIFFICULT time surviving in the fire service with your disposition. You seem to have a sizeable chip on your shoulder and a need to "put people in their place" if they say or do something that you might find offensive. Guess what? In the fire service, there will be many things said and done that are "offensive." Of course there are instances when it becomes necessary to speak up and address problematic issues. But I'm going to be honest with you FemaleCandidate...you come across as catty and a nag (that characterization might be sexist - but i think it's accurate). This particular thread did not become contentious until you felt the need to lecture CFDWarrior and threaten to "report" him for expressing his opinion. Get a grip!! If you're fortunate enough to get hired, I have one bit of advice for you: get some thicker skin!! You won't survive otherwise. Trust me.

One more thing...this thread is dedicated to the testing and hiring process for the Cleveland Fire Department. This isn't some Facebook or MySpace page where you can trade personal rants on each other's walls. Lets keep this thread focused on the topic at hand.

p.s. The term "mutt" is not a code word for what you think. The term has a meaning in the fire service that has nothing to do with race and/or gender. Look it up

Forum Member

I have a few questions for those out there. Has anyone taken the agility, and could you inform me how it went? I am really nervous/excited/humbled. I have never made it this far in the process. Also I heard that there was between 600-800 that passed the test. So we might not see the results for a while. I know for a fact there is still some guys who are laid off. So I guess we will all see what happens in the future. I am optimistic but realistic about the thing. I don't have residency points so thats why I am realistic about the whole thing. I know I might have a chance but its still in the back of your mind when you look at those odds....Thanks!
    Last edited by honestman; 10-27-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Forum Member

I would be willing to bet more people than that passed. They are running physicals all month for almost 12 hours a day. With 600 passing, that would break down to only about 30 people a day, thats less than 3 an hour. Im guessing/hoping/praying its going to be a more efficient process than that.

Forum Member

Well I heard from one guy 800 and another on solid authority 600. The 600 is the number I believe. To tell everyone the truth I want have Cleveland's test/agility/selection number behind me. Trust me though I want it immensely. So many rumors and some stringing along the way has made this an arduous journey. I think that this is all normal but all of the rumors I think just makes this more drawn out. Rumors of the point system, what they're going to do for the agility test and how many people are going to actually drop in 2011/2012. Along with how many they are going to actually hire too. There's others going around about when the city is going to do another test, 2 years from now or just keep plucking people off the 2010 list. I would like some definate answers but I guess I just need to be patient. Question for those out there? Is the 5 points for the Cleveland High School Exploratory Program still going to be awarded? I heard through the grapevine that it was in the court system. Is this true? If anyone know's please reply on the forum or if you would like to add anything that I mentioned please go ahead.

Forum Member

I wish you all the best, but being a FORMER Clevelander, my only advice is: Don't hold your breath. Keep applying elsewhere, especially if you're willing to move.

I moved to the South (Texas) and got a great full-time position on a department for a suburb of Houston. I miss my family, but I was tired of chasing work in NE Ohio.

If you guys have any questions or would like some info on the Texas area, let me know.

Take care,
    Pete

Thread Information