Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

The most recent word from city officials is that Cleveland will be aggressively hiring for the next year or two because of significant attrition from DROP retirees leaving in 2011 and 2012. I've heard estimates of 100-150 firefighters are required to retire in the next calendar year pursuant to DROP. Accordingly, CFD must hire to replace these people in order to comply with minimum staffing requirements.
    Last edited by zarack808; 08-14-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone received their score results for the written exam? Just trying to get an idea for the timeline. Called Cleveland Civil Service yesterday and they won't state whether they've begun mailing results yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck calling civil service! They are quite rude. I would imagine within a couple weeks. At the written test they seemed pretty organized. Anyone know how the physical agility test will be scored?

Forum Member

OK guys, I just had a chance to read this thread, and there has been a lot of misinformation. I am a member of CFD since 96 and have been interested in the hiring process this time around as well, because of friends wanting to take the test. First off, numbers were down in applicants this year, roughly 2500-2600 people sat for the test. I was told that fewer than 600 people received residency points. This fairs well for non-residents. You must realize that many of the "residents" won't score high enough even with the extra points. There will be a lot of hiring from this list due to the massive retirements. The numbers are down in staffing since I was hired (1100) down to about (850). This should remain stable if not increase due to the fact the talk of merging EMS into the FD is more than just talk now. As far as the agility goes, it USED to be one of the tougher tests around, the faster you could get the test done the better score you received. However, it seems this time around they have dumbed the test down to make it a pass/fail test. Similar to the CPAT test which is being used more widely now. The actual test can be found on the official City of Cleveland web site in the division of Fire section or on the EB Jacobs site (they are giving the test). To those that took the test, good luck. To those that didn't because of reason A or B...NEVER pass up a test because you never know what it may bring you!

Forum Member

Hey CFDWarrior, thanks for the inside scoop. You're right, there has been a whole lot of speculation regarding this test and Cleveland's hiring procedures in general. With the DROP retirements and the Fire/EMS merger all happening concurrently, who knows how all this will play out. But since you work for CFD, you have your finger on the pulse on what's happening within the department.

I have a follow up question to your last post... do you know if the City is looking to bring in a new cadet class immediately (e.g., beginning of 2011) to make up for all the attrition resulting from the projected DROP retirements? You explained that staffing is currently at 850 personnel. I can't imagine that CFD can sustain staffing levels too far below that number. With the first wave of DROP retirements due in the 1st qtr of 2011, it would stand to reason that the City would have a new set of recruits in place rather soon. Can you confirm?

Also, you mentioned that the EB Jacobs physical ability test is probably a pass/fail test. Why do you say that? I reviewed the PAT materials and the test events will be timed - but it said nothing about pass/fail.
    Last edited by zarack808; 08-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member

I have noticed that there hasn't been much discussion of the Cleveland Fire Exam. I'm curious to know if anyone else on this forum has taken the test, and if so, whether you heard anything about scores or when they will be conducting the physical ability test.

I've attempted to inquire with civil service but the folks over there are very tight-lipped about everything. I've been preparing for the PAT but it's hard to plan my workout program without having any idea about when the physical ability test will occur.

If there are any Cleveland firefighters out there, do you have any information on what the city has planned thus far? Are they really looking to hire - and how soon?

Forum Member

I as well as many others on here took the Cleveland test not to long ago. Today I tried to call Human Resources to try and find out what was going on. The lady told me that the tests had not been graded yet which leads me to believe that the physical agility test will not be held when Cleveland said they should be. As much as I didnt want to hear that today I was glad to finally get through to someone who had some idea of what was going on. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Any new news? Maybe someone from CFD can give us a juicy rumor? Stirr this thread up a bit....

MembersZone Subscriber

it would not surprise me if we didnt get our results until next year.

Forum Member

Toddrat1, I share your sentiments. Having lived in Cleveland my entire life, I have concluded that city officials here have an aversion to being organized, efficient, and sensible. It's as if their incompetence is compulsive in nature.

All we can do is wait and make sure that we're ready for the CPAT whenever it occurs - hopefully sooner than later.

Forum Member

Get ready guys! Just talked with a lady at Clevelands civil service dept and she said they will be sending out letters next week or the week after for the agility.

Forum Member

That is great news! Thanks for the update. Any details on the events or how the physical ability test will be administered?

Forum Member

The way the lady in the civil service dept explained it to me, she said they would have the local Cleveland people test first and then the rest of us. As for how the test is going to be set up that is anyones guess at this point. Good luck to all and keep this thread updated if you hear anything new.

Forum Member

Just spoke on the phone with folks at civil service and they said CPAT invitations went out in mail yesterday (Monday). I'm not in town at the moment. Has anyone received their letter? What does it say?

Forum Member

No letter as of yet. Although it seems that I usually get my letters from Cleveland about a week after they send it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i live downtown and nothing today. i did change my address in person so i am pretty sure they messed it up and sent it to the wrong house.

Forum Member

Default i got mine

I did get a letter today, my date is Nov. 2. No score, but says that I scored high enough to participate in the phys. portion, combined score will come afterwards w/ residency and veterans bonus, etc.

Check that mail!!!

Forum Member

Got my letter yesterday. It says I have a PAT on the 17th? Anyone out there have any idea how many are coming back for the PAT?

I got mine in the mail today. It looks like my day is Nov. 29th.

Forum Member

Exclamation ...tisk, tisk tisk

CFDWARRIOR: I don't believe this posting is very becoming of a CURRENT FIREFIGHTER, obviously you ARE NOT A BONAFIDE CLEVELAND RESIDENT...your statement, I quote" You must realize that many of the "residents" won't score high enough even with the extra points". I'm sure with you representing the CFD, you should retract that biased statement, however, I AM A BONAFIDE RESIDENT AND scored high enough, I'm sure there WERE plenty more "residents" that did aswell. You're inside "scoop" was very condescending. Glad your info isn't on here or I'd surely report you.

Thread Information