Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Idk but I'm guessin just in and out but do anyone knw wats after background checks?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by future fire View Post
    Idk but I'm guessin just in and out but do anyone knw wats after background checks?
    The waiting game. According to previous hires in the Cleveland Fire Department, candidates are subject to a medical/physical examination and psychological exam prior to receiving an appointment. My guess is that people on the current list who get past backgrounds will have to undergo the same. No one knows the City's timeline though.

Forum Member

Any new updates? By the way, I heard the City is raising the max age limit for new hires to 40. Anyone else hear about this?

Forum Member

Idk if they are able to do that midway thru the hiring process. When we all signed up didn't we acknowledge that we were under 36 or whatever the age cutoff was. If they do that, allow ppl into the academy at 39yrs old, isnt the city, or civil service violating its own rules they had us agree to when we initially filed the paperwork?

Forum Member

I see your point, but the City is free to amend its age requirements at any time in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code. As for some agreement when we submitted our applications, I don't think there was an "agreement." Rather, when the application process opened up, the City stipulated that applicants must be under 36 years of age at the time of hire (as that was the state and local max age limit for appointment). However, we didn't agree to anything in our paperwork. We simply had to provide our date of birth, just like with any other application. Now granted, the fact that the age limit was 36 at the time of the application process may have caused potential applicants over 36 to not apply, which is a valid issue. But I know for a fact that there were several people around 36 y/o who took the test anyway. And if they scored high enough, they just might have a chance to get hire this time around.

Regardless, my understanding is that the City has the authority to readily change its ordinances in accordance with Ohio law.
    Last edited by zarack808; 09-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Member

I gotcha, I floated around ORC, today as well, didn't see any hard numbers as far as 36 is the definite cut off. But it does seem fishy that they are changing it at the eleventh hour. Also, when civil service certified the list back in Feb of 2011, they only certified the list for like 105-110 guys. But most recently at the finger print session, there were guys numbered, 115-120, and 160-165 that were in the session. Does anyone know if they expanded the list numbers, because wouldnt we have gotten an updated certified letter? Or is the aff. action hiring decree still active on this list.
    only reason I ask is because if the cutoff a few years ago was 110 people, when they certified the list, why are there guys lower on the list as this point of the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    I gotcha, I floated around ORC, today as well, didn't see any hard numbers as far as 36 is the definite cut off. But it does seem fishy that they are changing it at the eleventh hour. Also, when civil service certified the list back in Feb of 2011, they only certified the list for like 105-110 guys. But most recently at the finger print session, there were guys numbered, 115-120, and 160-165 that were in the session. Does anyone know if they expanded the list numbers, because wouldnt we have gotten an updated certified letter? Or is the aff. action hiring decree still active on this list.
    only reason I ask is because if the cutoff a few years ago was 110 people, when they certified the list, why are there guys lower on the list as this point of the process.
    Check out ORC 124.42 regarding the new age cut off for firefighter appointment. The new cut off age of 40 goes into effect on September 28, 2012. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/124.42 ...I spoke with a Cleveland firefighter about this (who may or may not have accurate info) and he seems to think that Cleveland is adopting the higher age cutoff for purposes of the merger with EMS. The City hopes to eventually cross-train EMS personnel as firefighters, but many of them are already older than 36. Apparently, they can't be grandfathered into the fire department, but must be formally "appointed" as firefighters. In order to get appointed, they have to meet the age requirement. So increasing the age to 40 allows the City to cross train many more EMS folks. But the City can't pick and choose who they apply the new age limit to. So, it also applies to applicants currently on the list. At least that is what the guy from CFD speculates.

I had the same question about the expanded number of people being certified. Rumor has it that the City expects to lose a LOT of firefighters next year or the year after to retirement. So my guess is that they are going to try and put through more than one class from this list. Getting the most bang for their buck. I don't know if the affirmative action stuff is a factor or not. Also not sure if the people previously certified on the list have to be re-certified.

Forum Member

does anyone know the actual number of guys that recieved a letter. I am 119th on the list and i have not been contacted to this point about anything and im seeing people post ranked lower that seem to have allready been contacted? Any legitimate info would be appreciated. I would hate to be this this close to my dream job and have just missed it, or maybe a mix up in paperwork!

Forum Member

ya dude, that's what I'm wondering too, back in feb of 2011 there were roughly 110 contacted, now im hearing guys in the 160s that were contacted as well.
    you might want to call civil service and inquire. i'd say thats your best bet

Forum Member

@zarack808; I really like reading your posts because you reference actual material.
    Thank you for the accurate info in ORC.
    -One factor that is going to be fought tooth and nail about with the cfd union, is the fact that ems isnt a civil service position, and fire is. there fore cfd doesn't want them to be cross trained because they havent taken the same test as guys on the job, and as we did.
    -also, the cfd classes of 1981/1982 roughly 300 guys, are coming up on the maximum DROP years either 2013 or 2014. which means 30% of cfd is mandatory retiring in the next few years. yep, 30% of the entire dept. it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Forum Member

Heard some buzz about conditional offer letters going out soon. Has anyone else heard this too?
    Last edited by laddernhook; 09-28-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Forum Member

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know how long the probationary period is for newly hired CFD firefighters?

2. Can anyone (with knowledge) comment on if probationary firefighters are permitted to hold a part-time job outside of the department?

And before you guys get started, I'm quite aware of the recent fuss made over a hand full of firefighters who traded away their shifts to work at other jobs. I'm not talking about taking time away from my scheduled shifts or anything like that. But I am a licensed electrician and I would like to continue to work my trade even if I am lucky to get hired at CFD. 48 hours between shifts (not to mention Kelly days) is a long time to be idle if you have other means of bringing in income. Hoping someone can offer some good feedback.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    1. Does anyone know how long the probationary period is for newly hired CFD firefighters?.
    One Year from date you're hired.
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    2. Can anyone (with knowledge) comment on if probationary firefighters are permitted to hold a part-time job outside of the department?
    Any other job must be reported and signed off on.

Source for both: union contract.

I've heard as soon as January for an academy and as late as "spring."

Forum Member

very nice info, anyone know roughly what the next step in the process is?

Forum Member

very nice info, anyone know roughly what the next step in the process is?
    I think there were some interviews this weekend. Not sure how many were interviewed or what it means. Does anybody know what's up?

Forum Member

More hurry up and wait. Interviews are being done clearing up background info more than anything else. Psych evals and medical exams still to come, no time table yet.

Forum Member

does anyone know if everyone who was certified will go through drug tests and evalutions or will they just pull down the list from 1 and stop when they get the number they want?

Forum Member

Last edited by mdd2121; 12-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Forum Member

For those people who interviewed this past weekend, do you know if there were any no-shows (i.e., candidates who were scheduled to interview but did not show up)? Just curious.

I heard they only interviewed the top 50 names on the list. Just wondering if they will need to go down further into the list for interviews at some point.
    Last edited by maverick80; 10-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    For those people who interviewed this past weekend, do you know if there were any no-shows (i.e., candidates who were scheduled to interview but did not show up)? Just curious.

I heard they only interviewed the top 50 names on the list. Just wondering if they will need to go down further into the list for interviews at some point.
    I have to believe that some people who ranked on the list are no longer in the process with Cleveland. It's been over two years, and some high ranking people may have found jobs in other departments and withdrawn, others may have not responded to the letters or have had bad addresses, and others may have had something negative in their background come up. So the top 50 today likely do not have numbers of 1-50.

Forum Member

correct, talked to a guy today who spoke with one of the background investigators, ten ppl have withdrawn interest.

Forum Member

the following information is coming second hand from someone in the department, so take it for what it's worth...
    but i was told that the city plans to hire two classes in 2013 to prepare for the first significant wave of DROP retirements. the first class is targeted for late winter or early spring in order to make sure that there is enough time left for the second class to start late summer or early fall. not sure how many in each class, but the rumor is that maybe close to 100 guys are expected to retire over the next 1.5 years. even more guys leaving the following year, with CFD losing upwards of 1/3 of its force to retirement by late 2014 or 2015. this would suggest that they will try to hire as many as they can afford to hire off this current list. we won't know exactly how many until conditional offers go out, which they have to send out before the list expires in january. even after the list expires, the city will probably give another exam in the near future.
    i was also told that the city is still tied up with the affirmative action decree, and that the court is currently considering whether or not to continue or do away with the quota policy. was told that the this might have a direct impact on the hiring process for the upcoming class.

Forum Member

I've been wondering how graduates of the fire training academy are assigned to companies. Do you get to request a preference for engine co or ladder co? Beyond that, some firehouses are busier than others. How does CFD decide who goes where? Are assignments random and based on need? Is there some kind of rotation?

Forum Member

@laddernhook- i heard that they are doing 2 classes of 30, i dont know if thats all they are going to pull off this list or not, also did hear that the list went in front of a federal judge about the decree, heard they were told to pull right down the list in order.
    @maverick80- from what i understand they do 3, 6 month rotations and people get to pick a wish list of top 3 stations for each rotation, something like that.

Forum Member

@laddernhook- i heard that they are doing 2 classes of 30, i dont know if thats all they are going to pull off this list or not, also did hear that the list went in front of a federal judge about the decree, heard they were told to pull right down the list in order.
    @maverick80- from what i understand they do 3, 6 month rotations and people get to pick a wish list of top 3 stations for each rotation, something like that.
    I've heard a class of 35 myself. Same ballpark.

Similar with the assignments, I've been told previously they would rotate you to 3 different stations, and the 3rd would become your semi-perm workplace, barring a request from you to transfer (so 2 houses during probation before a final assignment)

Thread Information