Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Any luck out there on nailing down a more definitive timeline for academy?

Forum Member

Id like to know also, can't wait to see you guys in the showers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    Any luck out there on nailing down a more definitive timeline for academy?
    Zarack, you seem really anxious and impatient to have your "reputation and character maligned just by being associated with a poorly run department." Did you have a change of heart?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo21 View Post
    Zarack, you seem really anxious and impatient to have your "reputation and character maligned just by being associated with a poorly run department." Did you have a change of heart?
    I really hope you get cleared for academy because I can't wait to meet you in person...to see if you're as brash and tough in person as you attempt to portray over the internet. Just so you won't have any difficulty picking me out from a crowd, I'm 6'2, 209 lbs, pale complexion, red hair, and i have a scar on my left forearm. Come introduce yourself.

Forum Member

Really, gained two inches and 19 pounds in the last 2 years huh?

"In my case, I am 29 years old, 6'0 tall, and a very fit and muscular 190 lbs (34 inch waist and 45 inch chest)."
    (Columbus, OH thread to refresh your memory)

Do you use the same 6'2" 209 stats in your M4M personals ad on Craigslist? So after describing Cleveland as the "laughing stock of municipalities" and describing how you are above everyone on CFD, you still want to get on? I'm not trying to talk tough, only point out the you are a d-bag who should probably way to get on, get some time on, before defecating on the members of the department. Maybe then you can think about beating me up and losing your job. Way to pigeon hole yourself with your incredible maturity and mentality.
    the shadow likes this.

Forum Member

Play nice children!

Forum Member

Got my medical scheduled for next week.

Forum Member

Nice... Just make sure that a 209 pound 6'2" ginger named Zarack doesn't trick you into dropping your pants for him. He is not the medical doctor

Forum Member

Cleveland just swore in a new Fire Chief today, Daryl McGinnis

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/20...-has-new-chief

Forum Member

Default Pre-employment Physical

Has anyone had their pre-employment medical exam already?

Just wondering if you could give the scoop on what to expect for the physical exam. How thorough...how long did it take...any concerns? Was it based on NFPA 1582 (the unofficial medical standard)?

Forum Member

Excited that the department is moving along so soon after sending conditional offers, but any update on when a class is expected?

Forum Member

I was told that the first class would start around April and the second one around October. Im not sure how solid that info is though!

Forum Member

Interesting.

Now wondering if everyone who received a conditional offer is currently going through medical and pysch screenings, or is the city only processing the people who are slated for the first class and will then screen the rest later for the second class.

Put another way, is there anyone who received a conditional offer who has not yet been scheduled for a medical exam?
    Last edited by maverick80; 01-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member

There are people further down on the list that received conditionals and have not been scheduled for a medical yet. One would have to assume they would try to clear 60 or so people for a class of 35-40 to take into account people that will fail the medical or choose not to take the job. As far as starting in April, who knows. I have heard similar timelines, but it is hard to say what the situation is down at headquarters considering they are closing squad 3 next week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo21 View Post
    considering they are closing squad 3 next week.
    What...closing RS3? This squad is in the heart of one of the busiest areas of town. That leaves only two rescue squads for the entire city. So, what happens to those guys staffed at station 22?

Forum Member

Heard that from a guy today that R3 was going down as well, that is accurate info.

also heard that they are going to be doing more rolling brown-outs, closing random stations and detailing guys to other stations based on call offs and staffing.

and i am a guy with a conditional offer with no medical screening scheduled fyi

Forum Member

johnsmith-

Let us know if you get set up for the psych test today or tomorrow. I got the medical but I'm told they're doing a big group next Saturday the 9th for the psych test. Curious if that includes those further down the list also, or just the first group.

Forum Member

i think we both will have to keep our eyes open for a letter/email or something

Forum Member

I know a guy from engine 22 and he said they might be put on academy detail for upcomming classes, also what i was told by hq was that the first fifty guys have been processed for the first class to this point. The rest of us with conditional offers will have to wait until oct. before they start evals on us! Stay out of trouble until then......

Forum Member

Talked with someone at Cleveland's FTA who said that if processing continues without any issues, cadet training could begin as soon as late March. There were a couple of other factors too (such as how soon the new gear arrives). But it's looking like March at the earliest for the first class.

Maybe they will give us a more exact update this Saturday at the psych examination.

Forum Member

I dont think they are processing all the ppl from the conditional list for this supposed psych eval on sat; some of us haven't gotten notice of such eval. fyi.

might be breaking us into two groups.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    I dont think they are processing all the ppl from the conditional list for this supposed psych eval on sat; some of us haven't gotten notice of such eval. fyi.

might be breaking us into two groups.
    As i posted before i was told by someone at HQ that they are in fact breaking us up into two groups. The first one consists of the first 50. I also am in the second group witch should start some time around sept or oct! I was told to keep out of any trouble until that time and the rest of us on the second group shouldnt have any problems! Im not sure why they havnt made that public info to us yet? Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by workingman216 View Post
    ...Im not sure why they havnt made that public info to us yet?.
    It's Cleveland
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 02-07-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Member

During today's psych exam I talked with a couple of guys who said that the list has been updated and that they moved up by a considerable number of spots on the list.

I'm curious to know if anyone who was originally ranked in the 40s (or knows someone who was ranked in 40s) has moved up and approximately how far.
    Last edited by maverick80; 02-09-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

Been trying to keep up with the local news reports about the pending Fire/EMS merger, which becomes official on Monday with the closing of two rescue companies and the addition of ALS units.

In a PD article I read online today, there was some suggestion that the City won't need to hire 70 cadets this year after all, because the firefighters in the closed rescue companies will be reassigned to fill the vacant spots that were slotted for the new hires. I know you can't believe everything you read and hear, but that definitely caught my attention. Did anyone else read that or heard any rumors about hiring in light of the merger?

Thread Information