Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by workingman216 View Post
    Im getting a bit nervous the deadline is fast approaching! Has anyone received a letter yet?
    I'd be nervous after next week. Is it realistic to expect something to happen the last week of the year? I know my job becomes a ghost town, and serious work doesn't happen. I have to believe non essential administration is the same.

Forum Member

As some have already pointed out, the eligibility list expires in about a week. And to my knowledge the city has not extended the life of the list (I was actually told the list can't be extended past two years). Letters have to go out before the list expires on Jan 14, which falls on a Monday. That means letters have to go out this coming week, or else they aren't going out at all.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Check your mailboxes! I received my conditional offer today, postmarked yesterday! good luck to all.

Forum Member

They really divulged a lot of details in that offer huh?

Forum Member

I had to call down to hq to fill in the missing pieces but all is well!

Forum Member

Well what all did they fill in? Do they have tentative dates or what?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo21 View Post
    Well what all did they fill in? Do they have tentative dates or what?
    They told me another letter will be comming via mail within the next 10 to 14 days that will have dates for both physical and psyc. eval and any other imperative info!

Forum Member

follow up question... I have a friend who does a lot of cocaine and street level narcotics, he may be receiving a notification for a medical/drug exam in the next 10-14 days, how many days do you think he should lay off the dope before the drug test?

Forum Member

Good one, Buffalo21!

Anyway, the conditional offer letter was rather vague on the details. But considering that we still have to go through with medical and psyche evals, along with another criminal screening, it could be a little while before they're ready to start an academy.

But as long as we keep our noses clean (Buffalo21) and are not certifiably crazy, we will be there whenever academy starts - and that enough for me.

Forum Member

buffalo21 why do you bother asking questions if your not looking for a serious response or your trying to be sarcastic? I dont care either way just dot waste my time if your not seriously inquiring or just looking for a punchline! If you are referring to their timeline as rather elongated and providing opportunity for cleansing then perhaps you have a piont!

Forum Member

heard the 'planned' march academy is somewhat being pushed back to june-ish.

also union/dept is still waiting to hear final word on the appeal regarding haeden decree.
    at least we all have received our golden tickets.

Forum Member

The headen decree appeal has been ruled on already earlier this week. The federal judge ended the decree, so the affirmative action quota hiring will not be imposed on this list. Apparently that's what took so long for the letters to go out. The city was waiting for the court's ruling before it sent conditional offers.

@johnsmith1989: you heard June for the first class? Wow, that's interesting considering that two classes are planned for this year. No way they can fit 2 classes in 2013 if the first one won't be until June. That would push the second class into the heart of winter, which seems unrealistic.

Any reason given for the speculated delay?

Forum Member

yea heard they were planning for march, but things are stacking up so it looks like it will be pushed back a bit, not sure why its being prematurely delayed, maybe they way city admin runs & their organizational skills

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith1989 View Post
    maybe they way city admin runs & their organizational skills
    That would pretty much sum things up.

Although one possibility could be that since things are delayed, instead of having two smaller classes in the spring and fall, they might try combining the two for one big academy class this summer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by workingman216 View Post
    buffalo21 why do you bother asking questions if your not looking for a serious response or your trying to be sarcastic? I dont care either way just dot waste my time if your not seriously inquiring or just looking for a punchline! If you are referring to their timeline as rather elongated and providing opportunity for cleansing then perhaps you have a piont!
    Just trying to have a little fun with everyone... lighten up, offers have been made!

Forum Member

Does anyone have any idea how many conditional offers went out yet?

Forum Member

I know offers were made to people in the low 100's, but its hard to say how many people were denied that were above them on the list

Forum Member

I was told a few months ago that they were planning to hire around 70 to 80 people off this list, with two separate classes of 35-40 people. So, based on that I'm guessing offers went out to just above the 80 number in case a few don't clear the medical or psyche eval.

But who knows...plans could have changed since then. If offers went out to low 100s, then maybe they are looking to do even more classes down the road. Or, as Buffalo said, maybe they had to go that far down the list because of backgrounds.

Forum Member

I'm ranked 105 and I received a letter also on Thursday ..so for the people that got the letter are we going to be the first ones up for the academy??????
    Last edited by future fire; 01-12-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by future fire View Post
    I'm ranked 105 and I received a letter also on Thursday ..so for the people the got the letter are we go to be the first ones up for the academy??????
    Not necessarily. There are no more letters going out from this list because the list expires tomorrow. Whoever received a letter is guaranteed a job (provided you pass med screening), but not necessarily for the first class. I'd wait until the follow up letters come in or call hq for more specifics.

Thread Information