+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 First ... 345678916 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Default I knew I shouldnt have checked back...

Just to be clear I am not going to go back and forth on this issue with you and this will be the last response you will receive...feel free to continue to post, I'm sure that you will. You are a racist. Claiming your disgruntled nature stems from any CSC is null and void when you comment that you should get hired over "a minority off the streets with no experience and can't speak proper English". If you think that they give a special idiot's reading comp. tests to the Hispanic members of the community you're way off base...they take the same test you do. If you really cared about the best candidate getting the slot, I'd love to see you relinquish your veteran's preference points to level the playing field with which you're so concerned. Before you get all up in arms about it, I'm not saying you should have to, I'm saying if that was really the crux of your concern then that is what you would do. How about this, go get your EMT-P like all the rest of the candidates who want to stand head and shoulders above the rest and for the last time, quit complaining and quit making excuses.

Forum Member

Armyboy - No, I was just having fun with RustBeltFire's comment at yours and mick's expense. I could care less how they handle hiring at this point. It won't make a lick of difference what you, I, or any other person thinks. They are going to huddle in a room and pick who they want for whatever reasons they want, then justify it in the end using the rules. Ask me how I know... better yet, don't

Forum Member

Oh okay.. I dont know what this mickeys problem is He/She seems like the racist.

Why would I give up my veterand points.. I EARNED them. I've been where the devil himself wont go. Mickeys would never make it in my unit.
    @ mickeys- I have my 240 card and my emt-b. working on my P. I'm not looking for a hand out. I dont know what you do or who you work for, but i promise I worked harder one year in Iraq then you've worked in five years. So go pound sand.

Some people have zero respect for Veterans.. It's more then likely because they would never make it in the military.

One more thing. I never said I should be hired over sombody less qualified. I said they should not get special preference. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Last edited by Army Boy; 12-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stepup View Post
    I believe it was Abe Lincoln that said " I will study hard and then my day will come". If you truly embraced that theory, you need not look at numbers of 1 in 3, quota's, city demographics or other latent excuses. Not trying to be harsh, actually just the opposite. Prepare yourself well and your day will come albeit perhaps not with Cleveland Fire.... Take as many tests as you can to get exposure to taking these types of tests and you will improve. Don't ever, for a second, forget to work hard at the medical aspect of Firefighting. The national trends to the fire service are widely known to include Paramedical studies, so get busy in the testing off season to build your resume in those disciplines as well.

Testing is done today! Good luck to all of the candidates.
    Now that the PAT is complete, any idea on when Cleveland will release eligibility list? Better yet, when does the city anticipate bringing in its first class for Academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post
    Now that the PAT is complete, any idea on when Cleveland will release eligibility list? Better yet, when does the city anticipate bringing in its first class for Academy?
    A good guess would be end of Jan for our rankings. Not a clue to your second question. The PAT is completed for the first time takers, but I thought I heard they are still doing the people that had to be retake there test due to blood pressure and pulse through the 9th..

Forum Member

Default Angry People...

There is still the medical exams and psych test's left to do. So it still might be a while. I bet anyone on the forum that Cleveland doesn't even know what they are going to do. It's starts off as nothing, nothing, and then BOOM, we get information about what is next. On another note to some others that have posted. You can work hard and and get anything you want, if you poor your blood sweat and tears into it. However, everything is motviated by some political or racial push. This is how the world is and always will be as long as imperfect people are running the show. The world and its desires are only motivated by one thing and by whom......guess?
    Anyway, back to the matter at hand, Firefighting. I can inform all of you on here if I know that I can't get on with a department I will try to help someone else who desperately wants it and is trying harder than myself. Yes I do tell other people where other tests are going to be and I did tell a couple of guys about the ability test. I will try to help people out, even though this is really competitive. In the end its about teamwork and honesty with your fellow brothers. Sure it may be about "me" and getting to where "I" can go. But in the end, you need to carry over teamwork, commitment, honesty, endurance etc. These are the fundamentals to firefighting. Sure things are discourging, but in the end, nothing will change and you cannot change it. These are the moments in life that are only temporary.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Army Boy View Post
    One more thing. I never said I should be hired over sombody less qualified. I said they should not get special preference. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Ok, then I will say it... You SHOULD be hired over somebody less qualified.

Forum Member

@ honestman and cub. You aswell as a lot of us know how things work. It's sad but true.. We have to do better then our best and hope for a crap shoot.

I believe honestman is right about them not knowing whats going on til it happens. I dont get how they are scoring the PAT. I thought it was pass/fail. However now you can still pass, but may not recieve a point for the event if not completed in the initial time. soo is each point worth 7% points?

MembersZone Subscriber

Army boy, I am gathering that you know some CFD members. I only know one and dont talk to him much. ould be wrong but thats what I gather. So any ideas when the earliest they are starting a class? I heard April from the guy I know. This question might have already been asked. Also with the talk of merging EMS does having your NREMT-P going to help us? Ok, one more. How do they plan on merging. Doing like FDNY and making EMS a division of the FD, or like where they do it where I am at, where everyone is cross trained and rides to medic unit. Thanks. And everyone calm down, cant we all get along.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sergijm View Post
    Army boy, I am gathering that you know some CFD members. I only know one and dont talk to him much. ould be wrong but thats what I gather. So any ideas when the earliest they are starting a class? I heard April from the guy I know. This question might have already been asked. Also with the talk of merging EMS does having your NREMT-P going to help us? Ok, one more. How do they plan on merging. Doing like FDNY and making EMS a division of the FD, or like where they do it where I am at, where everyone is cross trained and rides to medic unit. Thanks. And everyone calm down, cant we all get along.
    I know a couple guys, but I have not heard any chatter on an academy. It will be a little longer then a lot of us would hope. I share everything I know and don't keep anything to my self.. In the end its more about the brother/sister hood.
    I've asked about the EMS merger and have come up empty.

Forum Member

Default Cleveland Fire cilp

Found this youtube clip of Cleveland Fire in action. Just a little motivation for ya. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWMpwDR1B4
    Last edited by maverick80; 12-04-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Forum Member

Cool vid. Hey, does anyone know if the Headen Decree is still in effect for fire department hiring in Cleveland?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by maverick80 View Post

In order to receive residency credit, applicants must present the originals or legible copies of 4 different proofs of residency from one year ago* and 4 different proofs of residency that are current** (a total of 8 documents) for verification.

I understand this to mean that as long as you could prove residency at the time of filing the application, you will be awarded the residency points. I don't think they can revoke your residency points if you moved to a suburb after the fact. Any comments or helpful information?
    Hmm...interesting point. So you're saying you can claim Cleveland residency credit even if you moved out of the city before being hired? Mav, your theory sorta makes sense , but does anyone have a different thought or opinion on this?
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 12-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think they can take away the points before you get hired. I work for the city and also live in the city after growing up in the suburbs. Its really not bad. I live downtown and I enjoy it a million times better than Parma.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toddrat1 View Post
    I don't think they can take away the points before you get hired. I work for the city and also live in the city after growing up in the suburbs. Its really not bad. I live downtown and I enjoy it a million times better than Parma.
    Haha- Parma.

Forum Member

toddrat1...you currently work for the city, right? What have your sources told you about when test scores will be released? I know how this city works - people talk. I'm sure you've talked to somebody. lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I do work for the city although not CFD. I am in the process just like everyone else. I went through civil service for my job and it took about two years. I was told we would get our results in January but who knows. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Forum Member

anyone hear word on when they are going to release test scores and such?

or are they going to wait for the Cleveland EMS test to be done?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    anyone hear word on when they are going to release test scores and such?

or are they going to wait for the Cleveland EMS test to be done?
    According to civil service, test scores will not go out until January.

There is a lot of stuff going on right now with Cleveland Fire. First, you have the fire/ems merger that is revving up. Not to mention talks of Cleveland taking over for East Cleveland FD. There are also plans to give an officers exam in late winter/early spring. And of course, there are the DROP retirements that are about to kick in 2011. Not sure what all this means; but CFD has a lot of coals in the fire at the moment. There is a possibility that hiring could be a priority - or it could be put on the back burner.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think hiring is a priority. They wouldnt just give a test to have a list like the suburbs. The test before this one was 1998. As far as East Cleveland I cant see them taking over ec. What would that bring to the city of cleveland?

Forum Member

Like you, I tend to think the city will place a priority on hiring. However, I'm also skeptical of the city's ability to effectively juggle several balls at once. Now I agree that the city would not give a fire test just for the heck of it. They certainly do plan to hire - if it's economically feasible. It's no secret that the city's operating budget for public safety services places significant strain on the city's overall budget. And as far as I know, those cops are still laid off. One could argue that attrition through DROP might further help solve some of the city's budget woes. Remember, the city gave a test in 1998 and that list remained dormant for almost 12 years.

As for handling fire service operations for East Cleveland, I can think of a number of ways this arrangement could be mutually beneficial. For one, there are certain economical and manpower effeciencies that are realized through regionalization. As you might know, there is a big push for regionalizing services throughout NE Ohio, not just in the fire service. Second, Cleveland can generate extra revenue if it sells its services to East Cleveland. I've also been told that this prospective arrangement will allow Cleveland to also utilize East Cleveland's ff personnel, particularly for ALS ems runs - since nearly all of E.C. firefighters are medics. But again, this is all still very preliminary.

I'm not trying to be negative or anything. Trust me, I want this job as much as anyone. Getting hired onto CFD would be a dream come true. Would rather do this than make millions in the NFL or NBA. But I also understand that there are other potential hurdles to consider - especially in light of Cleveland's history. Either way, I'll be ready if I'm called.
    Last edited by zarack808; 12-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Forum Member

Well CEMS "test" they had is off. apparently they were going to do this non civil service test to see where the applicants they had stood along with a physical ability test but got a call yesterday night saying that was off and they'd be contacting us in the near future.

So much for my backdoor way to CFD...for now

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zarack808 View Post
    I've also been told that this prospective arrangement will allow Cleveland to also utilize East Cleveland's ff personnel, particularly for ALS ems runs - since nearly all of E.C. firefighters are medics.
    not true.... they only took ems over in the early/mid 2000's, not alot of medics at ecfd, some but not alot.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Most of the stuff about E. Cleveland are true They are going to take over because their Dept. is not in the best shape. Its going to be in the millions to take over for sure, 6 I think. Their dept. just had a test and the guys started off in the high 20's and when they were done with the probe stuff mid to high 30's. Thats a terrible wage for starting off in a city like that. Also, like I mentioned in the past Cleveland never knows what they are going to do. I do know for sure they are calling back the laid off Police officers in January and plucking guys off the current list of Police and will be starting to train in mid January and the beginning of February. Those guys have a 6 month academy and get paid next to nothing. Again, who knows about Fire/EMS/E. Cleveland. I heard a "rumor", a big rumor about Cleveland maybe taking over the airport too, but there is specialized training for that and you need your medic's. With Fire I dont have my hopes up considering the "3" rule and resisdency and the MLK 5 points being in the courts. Time will tell I guess, hopefully not 12 years!!!!

Forum Member

apparently the merger status of CEMS and CFD isn't stopping CEMS from hiring. I have an interview at the start of January. Don't know what will happen after that but if I get on I'd think with my 240 and my paramedic I'd be sitting pretty with qualifications for when the merger occurrs.
    Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 First ... 345678916 ... Last

Thread Information