Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting a bit crazy in here! Look when the city lays off it does so in reverse seniority. That's it. That will never change. Does not matter if you are a firefighter emtb, p, md, rn or whatever certs you have. Trust me the people of Cleveland don't give a crap about the cops, firefighters or paramedics. And as far as the merger I doubt the city will just make ems personal firefighters. I think they will use them like FDNY and Chicago. Nobody really likes working for EMS so they had to take them over. Anyways everyone just stay positive. I waited years to take this test again and can't wait for my results. Hopefully most of us will be working together one day

Forum Member

I've been skimming through the past couple pages on this thread...particulary the posts by ffmedicmatt. I'm guessing he doesn't even make it past the psych evaluation. Dude is a bit of a spaz. lol

Forum Member

Good Luck all, been a long wait so far so hopefully we hear something soon...I know im very anxious...

Forum Member

Funny what happens when you speak your mind. Oh well...ill be happy when I have my full time fire job and you're still testing
    Firefighter, EMT-P, CICP, EMSI, HazMat Tech

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    Funny what happens when you speak your mind. Oh well...ill be happy when I have my full time fire job and you're still testing

Yes its amazing how big of a ******bag you really can look like!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your confidence is inspiring. Can you please give me some advice so maybe one day I can get a full time gig and stop testing?
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Guys....a little advice from a former Clevelander......I know things are tough with the job market and all, but try to remain positive. And above all, remain a team.

You're all in this job hunt together, just like when you were in school (emt, medic, or fire academy). You gotta pull for each other. You can only do your best, then the rest is out of your hands.

Keep focused, avoid the negativity, and be supportive of each other. When hiring officials come on here (and believe me, they do) and they read these posts, it might not be hard for them to figure out who's who.

Would you want the Chief or his rep reading what you posted? It's something to ask yourself.

I can completely relate to the frustration and discouragement. But it's all well worth it when you get that CJO. Until then, BE A TEAM!!!

Otherwise, consider another line of work. Just some free advice, take it for what it's worth.
    I'm pulling for all of you.

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

Look you all can think what you want about me. I really don't care. I'm going to get a full time fire and EMS job whether its with Cleveland or wherever bit I take pride in the fact I don't hold my opinion back. I have been on a fire dept before I know when to say something and who not to say things to. last time I checked this was a forum to talk about jobs and such and its my opinion that it'd be crappy for someone with many certifications and experience to get kicked to the curb and I don't even want to get started on civil service. Cleveland is going to do what they want and lay off when thy want and I'm sure that with the merger and a possibility of a new class for both CFD and CEMS that it'll cause some issues.

Forum Member

Does Cleveland conduct credit report investigations for each candidate as part of the background check?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    Does Cleveland conduct credit report investigations for each candidate as part of the background check?
    Good question...

Forum Member

I believe they do. Credit is a big issue for a lot of people. With Cleveland being as poor as it is, and people spending like they have money to burn will hurt some people that took the test.

Forum Member

Yeah, you have a point. However, the fact that Cleveland is so poor could cut the other way. Considering that so many people in and around Cleveland are poor, it's likely that many applicants have less than stellar credit. If credit is a big issue for CFD, this might eliminate a HUGE portion of the remaining applicants. Remember, northeast Ohio was ground zero for the mortgage foreclosure fiasco. Not to mention that there aren't many working class jobs in the area. It shouldn't be a surprise if many of the remaining applicants have financial issues (e.g., bankruptcy, foreclosure, medical bills). On the other hand, if you're just maxing out credit cards and loans without paying your bills, then that's another matter. If Cleveland does in fact check credit history, I wonder how strict or lenient they will be. Will it be evaluated on a case by case basis? Just wondering.
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 12-23-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

I think it would be case by case. Sometimes you really can't avoid financial crisis. On the other hand the people that spend money on stuff they dont need and know that cant afford it should be on the chopping block.

What about the people with no credit at all? sometimes that is worse then having bad credit..

I really dont get why this city does not have an interview process. Just because you are a good test taker does not mean you are the right person for the position and vice versa.

Forum Member

No interviews in Cleveland? I wasn't aware. So, how do they know who you are - character wise?

Forum Member

No interviews in Cleveland? I wasn't aware. So, how do they know who you are - character wise?
    from what i understand no interviews. kinda stupid

Forum Member

Most everyone here has no problem remaining a team until one "member" of the team wants to "backdoor" everyone else. Last time I checked, if you wanted to be part of the team, you stood by the rest of the team.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by berg2904 View Post
    Most everyone here has no problem remaining a team until one "member" of the team wants to "backdoor" everyone else. Last time I checked, if you wanted to be part of the team, you stood by the rest of the team.
    I'm with you my man. I served my country for seven years. If one of you get hired and you deserve it, I will be the first one to shake your hand. I know eventually I will get hired somewhere. I'm not going to sit here and sulk because some of my fellow people got hired before me. My time will come.

bw3
    Forum Member

ffmedicmatt, you are going to get no where with that attitude (medics are better than basics). Medic or not, the best candidate gets the job. I would gladly hire a motivated basic with no experience over a medic with 4 years experience who's a moron. I don't care that you're a medic, good for you! But don't try to say your better than someone just because of your certs. I think you're an idiot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bw3 View Post
    ffmedicmatt, you are going to get no where with that attitude (medics are better than basics). Medic or not, the best candidate gets the job. I would gladly hire a motivated basic with no experience over a medic with 4 years experience who's a moron. I don't care that you're a medic, good for you! But don't try to say your better than someone just because of your certs. I think you're an idiot.
    I'm not just saying that certs are better you have to be able to prove you are better with what you have but I know I'm good and I can talk it up and prove it
    Last edited by ffmedicmatt; 12-26-2010 at 05:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey everyone! Just curious if anyone has heard, or recieved anything in the mail yet. Probably to early but I am damn anxious to hear as I assume most of us are. I read somewhere that CFD does not interview. Any truth to that? Thanks and hope everyone had a good xmas!

Forum Member

Last edited by mdd2121; 03-27-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Forum Member

Last time I checked this was a forum. Forums are ment for people to express their OPINIONS and everything people say on here are just that opinions. I don't agree with what everyone says and clearly everyone doesn't agree with what I say but the beautiful thing is we can sit here and tal. Granted most of what is said isnt exactly true but most of what is said is based off of some truth. Other posts I've read (such as Nashville FD) the numbers of people testing and the process is talked about differently and there are about 12 different ways of each. So unless this is an official CFD website or you are an official member of CFD then everything said here is your opinion.

Also to the backdoor way in to CFD. I'm merely pointing out that it appears to be a way to CFD that doesn't include testing with 3,000 other people. Do I want to work EMS? yes. Do I want to do fire? yes. Will I get on CEMS and "buy my time" until I can get on CFD or until the merger is announced? yeah.

Forums are ment to make you think and get opinions out. I'd say were doing a good job here.

MembersZone Subscriber

ff medicmatt I dont know where you work but I am willing to bet you would get chewed up and spit out by cfd.

Forum Member

Right. I've worked with a few guys from CFD and CEMS and both I have gained respect from and learned a lot from and I know they'd say the same. I don't really care what people on here think...unless you're the one saying yes or no for me getting a job someplace then oh well. Don't like what I say, call me dumb, tell me I'll never make it because I know that I will be a damn good asset to whatever fire dept I will have my career at.

Forum Member

Now that we are in the final week of 2010, is there more accurate information on the projected attrition from retirements in 2011? As we are all aware, it has been speculated that up to 100 firefighters and officers will have to leave in early 2011 due to DROP and mandatory age retirement. To anyone's knowledge, have these figures changed at all?

Also...assuming that the projected attrition is accurate, I am curious to know how the city will handle such a drastic drop in personnel. I can't imagine the first class of academy starting before March and it lasts approximately 4 months. That means the city is looking at June or July before replenishing staffing in the field. I could be wrong, but it seems highly implausible that CFD can function adequately with such an immediate and drastic reduction in force. What is Cleveland's plan and will this speed up the hiring process?

I'm only asking because there seems to be mixed messages. On one hand, we're hearing that the city is urgently looking to hire a large group of cadets in anticipation of all the vacancies created by DROP. On the other hand, we took the written test nearly 6 months ago and we haven't even received our scores yet. The whole "hurry up and wait" thing has me a bit confused. It takes months to conduct background checks, medical exams, psych evals, right? If it has taken nearly 6 months to produce scores for the written exam and PAT, then I have to wonder how long it will take to do everything else. I don't mean to sound impatient. Just want some idea of what to expect going forward - at least give us our scores!
    Last edited by FIREJAWZ; 12-27-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thread Information