Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontvilleFire39 View Post
    You sir are a blatant moron. What makes you think anybody cares abut your "certs"? Time means something and you have none of it. That lowly basic with ten years has experience that "one year of your life and 4k" can't buy.

What would the basis of this lawsuit be? Are you really going to file court paperwork stating that some whinny ***** little boy doesn't agree with a legally bargained labor agreement because he has "certs"? Get real....
    So you're telling me that some guy with 10 yrs exp and a basic has more and I have my medic oh and by the way I have 5 yrs exp on a different fire dept? Ok so I take by my wording on a lawsuit but Im sure the news would have some great coverage on it since a medic can do a lot more for the community than a basic regardless of time served. I understand the whole collective bargaining agreement and that time served counts for something but I am looking at what it'll serve for the community.

Forum Member

Also...I am not saying someone with exp should get layed off just because someone else has higher experiance but I do believe that it needs to be taken in to consideration along with your years of service becuase you look at what a paramedic can give to a service over a basic and what you have given to the service over the years and that should be involved in who get layed off...it'll never happen I know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Guys. I took the cleveland test. I live out of state and I am curious what the 240 is? I have my NREMT-P but have never heard of the 240. Is this just an Ohio state thing? This question might have been asked before, but will have my paramedic help with this new merger? I am a firefighter in Norfolk VA and we have fire and ems combined. Not everyone has to be a medic but we all ride the ambulance unless you are a paid operator or officer. Is Cleveland looking to do the same where everyone will be riding the medic? Thanks and good luck!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sergijm View Post
    Hey Guys. I took the cleveland test. I live out of state and I am curious what the 240 is? I have my NREMT-P but have never heard of the 240. Is this just an Ohio state thing? This question might have been asked before, but will have my paramedic help with this new merger? I am a firefighter in Norfolk VA and we have fire and ems combined. Not everyone has to be a medic but we all ride the ambulance unless you are a paid operator or officer. Is Cleveland looking to do the same where everyone will be riding the medic? Thanks and good luck!!
    240 is the firefighter card you need in ohio for full time firefighting. Id be willing to guess CFD will do that in the academy but a lot of guys have it from other schools. Its also called the firefighter II card. I'd be willing to guess when the merger occurs everyone will ride the squad and that they will eventually weed out the basics through the DROP program and other retirements.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    So you're telling me that some guy with 10 yrs exp and a basic has more and I have my medic oh and by the way I have 5 yrs exp on a different fire dept? Ok so I take by my wording on a lawsuit but Im sure the news would have some great coverage on it since a medic can do a lot more for the community than a basic regardless of time served. I understand the whole collective bargaining agreement and that time served counts for something but I am looking at what it'll serve for the community.
    Thats just what Cleveland needs, more bad press, really looking out for the Fire Dept genius. If a medic is so much better for the community, maybe EMS is where you belong, and you should go to the news with why CEMS medics get paid significantly less than Firefighters with EMT only. Not even on and you are already looking for ways to drag the Fire Dept through the mud.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    Thats just what Cleveland needs, more bad press, really looking out for the Fire Dept genius. If a medic is so much better for the community, maybe EMS is where you belong, and you should go to the news with why CEMS medics get paid significantly less than Firefighters with EMT only. Not even on and you are already looking for ways to drag the Fire Dept through the mud.
    right...trying to make it run smoother and provide better care for the community...right dragging through the mud. Again, last time I checked a paramedic can provide more advanced care to the community than a basic.

Forum Member

right...trying to make it run smoother and provide better care for the community...right dragging through the mud. Again, last time I checked a paramedic can provide more advanced care to the community than a basic.
    Your first shift, feel free to share your ideas on how your going to make things run smoother and provide better care for the community. See how well that goes over. Its called entry-level firefighter, do your job. Run for council if you want to change policy.

Forum Member

Your first shift, feel free to share your ideas on how your going to make things run smoother and provide better care for the community. See how well that goes over. Its called entry-level firefighter, do your job. Run for council if you want to change policy.
    or just wait until I have time under my belt and get on a fire dept committee and help make the fire dept better. and yes, I've got experience and have done exactly that, helped make my previous fire dept run smoother through the help of a committee.

Forum Member

and the only reason I bring all this up is I can see it now...CFD hires a class of say 50 and CEMS puts on a class of 30 there is 80 new cadets. Now, CFD and CEMS merge (which I'd put money down will happen in the start of 2011) and then what? Who do you layoff? Guys from the fire class? Guys from the EMS class? Whoever started the class last?

Guess that might be why CEMS is trying to get a class of 30 in before the end of January hmmmmmm

Forum Member

or just wait until I have time under my belt and get on a fire dept committee and help make the fire dept better. and yes, I've got experience and have done exactly that, helped make my previous fire dept run smoother through the help of a committee.
    Sounds a lot better than crying to a reporter. Little excessively prideful, but at least you learn quick.

Forum Member

Sounds a lot better than crying to a reporter. Little excessively prideful, but at least you learn quick.
    but Carl Munday will get ***** done

Forum Member

This is just a test to see if I did this right.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by oldohfire View Post
    This is just a test to see if I did this right.
    you did it right

Forum Member

Everyone knows that CFD and Cleveland EMS are merging. But who knows if the current members of CEMS will just be "crossed over" to a firefighter position or if they will be members of the FD but never trained to be firefighters. If they are just simply crossed over to become firefighters then I am sure there will be lawsuits. But let's say you do get hired soon by CEMS and through the merger you become a firefighter with the FD. You will definitely carry the stigma of "backdoor" entrance into the FD. You will never be respected and never have a good assignment on the job. Whether or not you care about that, it's up to you. Layoffs are strictly seniority. Local 93 has not battled the city over many years (especially the last decade) to have that change just because of the oncoming merger. Also don't go around telling people you have a lot of experience because you have a medic and a whole 4 years on a department. That is not much time at all. I could never figure out why guys who have only a couple years on act like they have been on the job 20 years. This is not a personal attack, just some advice. Good luck in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

What make you so sure there are going to be layoffs and what makes you so sure they are going to cross-train?

And buddy I didn't realize the vast amount of experience you have...perhaps you should going for an admin spot not entry level.
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Getting a bit crazy in here! Look when the city lays off it does so in reverse seniority. That's it. That will never change. Does not matter if you are a firefighter emtb, p, md, rn or whatever certs you have. Trust me the people of Cleveland don't give a crap about the cops, firefighters or paramedics. And as far as the merger I doubt the city will just make ems personal firefighters. I think they will use them like FDNY and Chicago. Nobody really likes working for EMS so they had to take them over. Anyways everyone just stay positive. I waited years to take this test again and can't wait for my results. Hopefully most of us will be working together one day

Forum Member

I've been skimming through the past couple pages on this thread...particulary the posts by ffmedicmatt. I'm guessing he doesn't even make it past the psych evaluation. Dude is a bit of a spaz. lol

Forum Member

Good Luck all, been a long wait so far so hopefully we hear something soon...I know im very anxious...

Forum Member

Funny what happens when you speak your mind. Oh well...ill be happy when I have my full time fire job and you're still testing

Forum Member

Funny what happens when you speak your mind. Oh well...ill be happy when I have my full time fire job and you're still testing

Yes its amazing how big of a ******bag you really can look like!

Thread Information