Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010

Forum Member

I doubt this would happen but it is an idea...send a class through of people already trained with their firefighter II cards. Do a shortened class. Just SOP's and learning the system. I doubt that would happen but it'd be nice especially for those guys already with the firefighter cert and/or experiance.

I'd be willing to guess no one in the higher ups have though that long term on it and I'd also bet if they did that it is such a whirlwind with the testing process, DROP program, merger, budget and whatever else they have to do for year's end/start of the new year that it got over looked. I'd also guess they would make them stagger the retirements so that they don't lose 20 guys on one day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I doubt this would happen but it is an idea...send a class through of people already trained with their firefighter II cards. Do a shortened class. Just SOP's and learning the system. I doubt that would happen but it'd be nice especially for those guys already with the firefighter cert and/or experiance.

I'd be willing to guess no one in the higher ups have though that long term on it and I'd also bet if they did that it is such a whirlwind with the testing process, DROP program, merger, budget and whatever else they have to do for year's end/start of the new year that it got over looked. I'd also guess they would make them stagger the retirements so that they don't lose 20 guys on one day.
    CFD would never do an excellerated class. Hires will be based on where you rank on the list, not your certs. That means a lot of folks that are hired might not have FFII or EMS certs. Plus, the city is all about maintaining uniformity in training - regardless of whether you already had ff academy elsewhere.

Yes, the city has a lot of coals in the fire right now. But that's why we have administrators - to plan ahead and execute. I agree that test scores are probably not a priority at the moment. But the longer the delay, the bigger the problem later on in the year.

The city cannot stagger retirements, especially DROP retirements. The date that each firefighter is to leave under DROP is predetermined by the Public Employees Retirement System. Firefighters MUST retire by their given date or they risk losing all the money they accrued while in the program. The city cannot interfere with these dates or require you to stay on longer. Even if you are not in DROP, the city cannot force you stay on once you are eligible for retirement - particulary those guys who are 65 or older and must retire as mandated by Cleveland ordinance.

Forum Member

yeah. I agree with everything you said. I was just tossing options out there. I don't know I'd say their up the creek without a paddle

Forum Member

@FIREJAWZ If the city wants uniformity, then why did they want to give 5 extra points to the people that went through the MLK program?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Army Boy View Post
    @FIREJAWZ If the city wants uniformity, then why did they want to give 5 extra points to the people that went through the MLK program?
    My comment was not in regards to the city's preference points. I was speaking only with regard to uniformity of training in the academy - read my post again. Everyone who is hired will have to matriculate through all facets of Cleveland FTA from start to finish, regardless of whether they went through TRI-C's fire program, MLK's fire program, or no program at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    My comment was not in regards to the city's preference points. I was speaking only with regard to uniformity of training in the academy - read my post again. Everyone who is hired will have to matriculate through all facets of Cleveland FTA from start to finish, regardless of whether they went through TRI-C's fire program, MLK's fire program, or no program at all.
    I understood what you were saying. You were clear on that. I was just commenting on civil service being a not so EO employer.

Forum Member

When Cleveland does finally release the test results, will they send us our individual exam score or will they send a list with our ranking? How does it work?

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything on results? I've talked to a few CFD guys but they know about as much as I do

Forum Member

End on Jan early Feb

Forum Member

that blows

Forum Member

Just called Cleveland civil service department to ask when they will be releasing test scores and the woman said "we have no idea when the scores will be sent out." She was kinda rude, but whatever. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREJAWZ View Post
    Just called Cleveland civil service department to ask when they will be releasing test scores and the woman said "we have no idea when the scores will be sent out." She was kinda rude, but whatever. lol
    The other day I was talking with a Cleveland firefighter (an officer) who said that CFD might not be hiring after all. He told me that the city will possibly wait to see how things shake out first with DROP attrition and the merger with EMS. I sure hope that isn't true. But if civil service is putting on the brakes, then something is up, right?

Forum Member

Called Civil Service yesterday to change my address and was told that the list should be going out in roughly 2-3 weeks.

Forum Member

DROP retirements:
    - January is supposed to be the magic month when all these "DROP" retirements occur. I have been told that close to 100 retirements are anticipated. Well, it's January. Does anyone know if these retirements are occuring as expected? Total number so far?

Test scores:
    - just wondering what a good score or rank is for this list. Top 50...or 100? Will we even know where we rank, or will they just send us a score? Perhaps some of you know Cleveland firefighters and can get some info

CFD Academy and CE credit:
    - I am aware that new hires will have to go through Cleveland's fire academy and EMS class even you already have your fire and EMS card. Just wondering if those of us who have our certs will get CE credit for going through the curriculum again?
    Last edited by zarack808; 01-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Member

Jan '11 is only significant because it is the 8 year (maximum enrollment) mark for those who got into the program when it first became available.

meaning, those who got in when it was first available have to go now if they have not already. They can stay a minimum of 3 yrs and a max of 8.

with 200+ guys enrolled in drop and more enrolling every month, each member has a unique retirement date. The number of vacancies will vary depending on

1) when they enrolled
    2) how long they wish to stay (3-8 yrs)

Its not like 200 vacancies appeared Jan 1, 2011. Vacancies will be staggered.

Forum Member

I heard from a very reliable source the letters are going to be mailed out today. Thats all I know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by honestman View Post
    I heard from a very reliable source the letters are going to be mailed out today. Thats all I know.
    Man I hope you are right!The wait is killing me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by honestman View Post
    I'll believe ity when its in my hand. Also what's on the letter? Position on the list? Test scores? A note saying I did terrible and I need to not test again?

Forum Member

Honestman, i hope your statement lives up to your handle..lol. How reliable is your source? CFD official...civil service official? I know you can't give names/titles, but give us an idea of how reliable your source is.

Forum Member

CFD offical. Now what they are mailing and what in entails I don't know. I do know they are mailing something out today. HOWEVER, the city could sit on it and send it out later.

Forum Member

I heard from a buddy who has parental connections to CFD that they are mailing out "stuff" by last name

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedicmatt View Post
    I heard from a buddy who has parental connections to CFD that they are mailing out "stuff" by last name
    great, i'll get mine last. haha

Forum Member

great, i'll get mine last. haha
    I'm there with ya

Forum Member

The list is out. They did give 5 points for the MLK and will not give 5 for 240 card holders that paid for school on there own. God help us all.

MembersZone Subscriber

The list is out. They did give 5 points for the MLK and will not give 5 for 240 card holders that paid for school on there own. God help us all.
    Awesome news!! Hope I did well. Good luck to everyone!! Guess letters will arrive soon huh.

Thread Information