Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by scott554 View Post
    With the AFG grant, If we are awarded a regional communications grant and we are the host department are the following statements true?
    1. we are the responsible party if audited
    2. we are the responsible party for advertising for bids and bid opening or would the county do to they are the ones putting up the 10%?
    3. once awarded and the grant is closed out the equipment be comes our Countys equipment and thier responsiblity?
    4. we are responsible for issuing all equipment and making sure everything is followed as stated in the grant.
    scot554:

1.) You are responsible to maintain the records and account for the money
    2.) A committee from amongst the program partners is desirable, that way you get buy-in from everyone and no room for complaining later
    3.) The equipment becomes the property of the participants in the grant. In order to be a regional grant AFG PG specifies that "multiple seats of government" must be served in order to be a "regional" application. As such the equipment is distributed to each department and at the end of performance period and reporting the equipment becomes the property of the agency that it was issued to.
    4.) Once again yes, as the host agency your responsibility is to be sure the equipment is distributed correctly, maintained and accounted for as far as inventory control is concerned

Glad to help!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    scot554:

1.) You are responsible to maintain the records and account for the money
    2.) A committee from amongst the program partners is desirable, that way you get buy-in from everyone and no room for complaining later
    3.) The equipment becomes the property of the participants in the grant. In order to be a regional grant AFG PG specifies that "multiple seats of government" must be served in order to be a "regional" application. As such the equipment is distributed to each department and at the end of performance period and reporting the equipment becomes the property of the agency that it was issued to.
    4.) Once again yes, as the host agency your responsibility is to be sure the equipment is distributed correctly, maintained and accounted for as far as inventory control is concerned

Glad to help!
    Thank you.

Also remember that a County is not an eligible applicant for a regional project. I think I understand what you are trying to do, but remove the "county" from any part of the award to avoid any conflict.

In order to apply for a regional project, the host organization must:
    1) be an eligible applicant, (i.e., either a fire department or a nonaffiliated EMS
    organization – a county, county association, city, or an emergency
    management organization is not eligible and could not apply for a regional
    project)

A county fire department applying for a countywide communications
    system is NOT a regional project because it does not benefit multiple “seats-of-government.”

Forum Member

A county can apply on behalf of the separate departments under it, but then that takes the place of the individual grants that could be submitted. Since the stats are regional and a department can be part of as many regionals as they want as long as they don't overlap in request, no reason to have the county host anyway. Only reason to do that is for FP apps since there is no regional statistic capabilities in the application. Also can remove matching requirements sometimes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Also remember that a County is not an eligible applicant for a regional project. I think I understand what you are trying to do, but remove the "county" from any part of the award to avoid any conflict.

In order to apply for a regional project, the host organization must:
    1) be an eligible applicant, (i.e., either a fire department or a nonaffiliated EMS
    organization – a county, county association, city, or an emergency
    management organization is not eligible and could not apply for a regional
    project)

A county fire department applying for a countywide communications
    system is NOT a regional project because it does not benefit multiple “seats-of-government.”
    I'm confused, my department will be the host and it would benefit 9 other departments but who actual would be the owner of the, let say repeters, and the equipment at the dispatch center?

Forum Member

The host would "own" it all in the sense that you would be responsible for knowing the location of all equipment at all times, ensuring that it is being used for the intended purpose. Usually that sort of ends around 3 years, but technically they can come check at any point during the 10+ year expected lifetime of the equipment to make sure it hasn't been sold or things like that.

On a side note normally in regionals like that the stuff that is going to benefit everyone like the tower repeaters and dispatch center at a county building is paid for by everyone, splitting the matching up evenly. Or county can pay for it if they like, that's happened also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scott554 View Post
    I'm confused, my department will be the host and it would benefit 9 other departments but who actual would be the owner of the, let say repeters, and the equipment at the dispatch center?
    You could also look at it like this. FEMA owns the whole lot and its the Host Applicants *** if anything goes wrong.

That clears up a lot of guessing sometimes.

Forum Member

Lightbulb regional dispatch console??

Would updating our 911 dispatch console and country repeaters to narrowband be a qualified project? Currently the console will be phased out within the next 2 years I think and the repeaters need to be narrowband by 2012 if I recall. Our current console is operated by the sheriff's office and dispatches fire, emt, police, and civil defense for 2 counties and 10 FD's. We just received a regional for the fire depts only to upgrade our radio's to P25 compliant and am looking to do another regional. Also, would we be able to include any radios, that need to be narrowband at a minimum, for our civil defense personel. Any suggestions are welcome and needed. Thanks

Mike

Forum Member

Dispatch consoles yes since they are for the FDs, no on civil defense/EMA. No one other than FDs can receive equipment, but other agencies can benefit such as law enforcement using the same repeaters and consoles, etc. They can't receive radios though. And only fire/EMS dispatch consoles also depending on the size of the dispatch center. Old county in PA had 2-3 consoles for fire/EMS, 6-7 or more for law enforcement so in similar cases the grant could only go for those 2-3 dedicated to fire/EMS. If they only have 2 dispatchers that handle everything then everything they have can be included.

Quote Originally Posted by MIDWESTCHIEF View Post
    Would updating our 911 dispatch console and country repeaters to narrowband be a qualified project? Currently the console will be phased out within the next 2 years I think and the repeaters need to be narrowband by 2012 if I recall. Our current console is operated by the sheriff's office and dispatches fire, emt, police, and civil defense for 2 counties and 10 FD's. We just received a regional for the fire depts only to upgrade our radio's to P25 compliant and am looking to do another regional. Also, would we be able to include any radios, that need to be narrowband at a minimum, for our civil defense personel. Any suggestions are welcome and needed. Thanks

Mike
    Be careful in your justification for consoles. Consoles can be obsolete, buy I would not blame narrowbanding as consoles are neither narrow or wideband. That part is defined by the radio attached to the console, not the console itself.

Not enough channel capacity to add the channels for the equipment you are asking for, manufacturer no longer supports the equipment, etc are good reasons though.

If you get a guy doing peer review that knows radios, it could make a world of difference.

Forum Member

Yes, have to be aware of the semantics fun, as the Forum Communications Officer just pointed out. I said console thinking Computer Aided Dispatch system, since I blocked out my mind the time at the old VFD dispatch office punching the console buttons to patch and unpatch the 800mhz to drop tones on low-band for the pagers. Not missing that a bit...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Be careful in your justification for consoles. Consoles can be obsolete, buy I would not blame narrowbanding as consoles are neither narrow or wideband. That part is defined by the radio attached to the console, not the console itself.
    You're right, the narrowbanding is only to be used on our repeaters and the radios. The console and CAD are both nearing obsoletion and are in dire need of replacement though.

Thanks for the input LVFD & BC

Thread Information