Forum Member

Default Regional communications grant 2010 AFG

Does anyone have info on a regional communications grant? I've been sucessful with our department grants and now trying a communications grant for our county. Any sucessful naratives or info would be apperciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scott554 View Post
    Does anyone have info on a regional communications grant? I've been sucessful with our department grants and now trying a communications grant for our county. Any sucessful naratives or info would be apperciated.
    Lot of work to do and a short time to do it in. There is someone on here that can help you but I will let him come forward. Havenít heard from him today. I think he was one of many that went to Tampa so he may be catching up on his homework or in the dog house.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can help you out guy.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

I have all the communications equipment / system put together we just need to fine tune it. I've never looked at a regional grant so I have no idea what info I need to fill it out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Lot of work to do and a short time to do it in. There is someone on here that can help you but I will let him come forward. Havenít heard from him today. I think he was one of many that went to Tampa so he may be catching up on his homework or in the dog house.
    Doesn't the D stand for dog? LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Doesn't the D stand for dog? LOL
    Jam; That one just went over my head. Let me get another cup of coffee and think about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have all the communications equipment / system put together we just need to fine tune it. I've never looked at a regional grant so I have no idea what info I need to fill it out.
    Send me a phone # where I can call you scott554.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Jam; That one just went over my head. Let me get another cup of coffee and think about it.
    The Dog is a compliment in this context. The coffee should be a Starbucks blend of Pikes Place and Verona.

Forum Member

Since you didn't provide an email addy in your request.

Send me an email to jam24u@windstream.net or jm44849@windstream.net Or kurt can forward it to you.

Forum Member

Kurt my email is scottmeadors@yahoo.com . jam24 i sent you an email

Forum Member

my phone # is
    Last edited by scott554; 03-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

my phone # is
    Man you can tell this is your first time. All the venders now have your px #. You will find out what I mean. Good luck.
    Last edited by dfd701; 03-17-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Forum Member

Man you can tell this is your first time. All the venders now have your px #. You will find out what I mean. Good luck.
    He's not kidding.

Ken, you will like this. Once my regional award appeared, it just says equipment $269,000. Not vehicle or PPE, just equipment. Since our department is not manned or have a phone or website, vendors have been dropping off brochures or letters at the stations door. Even Fedexing company information to the mayor. Some have even been contacting our mutual aid partners trying to find out who they should talk to.

Every day.

You cannot blame them and I don't. Frankly it is how they eat. I would do the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

He's not kidding.

Ken, you will like this. Once my regional award appeared, it just says equipment $269,000. Not vehicle or PPE, just equipment. Since our department is not manned or have a phone or website, vendors have been dropping off brochures or letters at the stations door. Even Fedexing company information to the mayor. Some have even been contacting our mutual aid partners trying to find out who they should talk to.

Every day.

You cannot blame them and I don't. Frankly it is how they eat. I would do the same.
    I always like to ask the question of where they have been prior to me getting a check in hand? Especially if I was asking for information to put the application togther to begin with and they could not take the time to bother with just a little ole guy like me out here in rural boondocks America!.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Rural boodocks America, heck I forgot that you have been to my neck of the woods haven't you. Well, to you Kurt, I guess that since we don't have a Starbucks, we probably wouldn't even rank as being called rural we are just called out in the sticks.

Forum Member

I think everyone already has me phone number. I've taken care of our equipment for the last 10-12 years and almost all of the grant issues.

Forum Member

Question about matching funds for a regional grant. would it be a 5% match that my depatment falls into or would it be 10% match because of the population the county has?

Forum Member

Question about matching funds for a regional grant. would it be a 5% match that my depatment falls into or would it be 10% match because of the population the county has?
    No, it is the total population of the departments you are writing for.

Forum Member

No, it is the total population of the departments you are writing for.
    Ok, Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, Thanks
    Scott I seen you removed your phone number from your post. I went back and removed it from my quote also. Just helping you out. I have a communications grant I am seating on until after the APCO conference at the end of the month. Wanted to look at as much equipment as I can to make a good choice. With that said wondering what name brand you are going with. Thanks !

Forum Member

Scott I seen you removed your phone number from your post. I went back and removed it from my quote also. Just helping you out. I have a communications grant I am seating on until after the APCO conference at the end of the month. Wanted to look at as much equipment as I can to make a good choice. With that said wondering what name brand you are going with. Thanks !
    Thanks for removing my number. We dont have a certain brand picked out. although some brands have alot more options. we are sticking with VHF for our day to day ops do to we are all vol. we also have our states 800mhz system.

Forum Member

Thumbs up regional webinar

I mentioned earlier attending a webinar. I just found the location as (grantsoffice.com)
    The host is Michael Paddock. You will want to find the previous broadcasts. You will not be able to raise your hand and ask questions, but will be able to get some good advice about the regional communications grant applications.

Its worth sitting through and signing up for future broadcasts.

Forum Member

Default FEMA, period of performance and state contract pricings

I have extended the bidding process for one vendor who wants to deliver his bid in person. I feel sorry for him, but a vendor that I sent a notice to bidders to, instead gave it to this vendor that is closer to me. This desire of FEMA's to collect bids rather than go through a vendor licensed to sell at state contract pricing is costing me a chunk on my period of performance.

When I began to get pre-grant quotes, some of these dealers made only a cursory reply or didn't supply a quote at all. So those guys did not get the opportunity to bid on this projects award. The one who took it seriously was the one licensed to offer the state contract pricing and was a big help throughout the process. As far as I was concerned, when the other vendors who wouldn't give Mr. Nobody in corncobb county the time of day, then when the award was announced, those previous efforts was a good enough reason to select him as the vendor of choice. I mean if he was serious then, why wouldn't he be serious throughout the process.

Just something that is gnawing on me a little. I'm sure FEMA will understand. Would be like they getting all the information from USA manufacturers and then selecting Chinese products.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have extended the bidding process for one vendor who wants to deliver his bid in person. I feel sorry for him, but a vendor that I sent a notice to bidders to, instead gave it to this vendor that is closer to me. This desire of FEMA's to collect bids rather than go through a vendor licensed to sell at state contract pricing is costing me a chunk on my period of performance.

When I began to get pre-grant quotes, some of these dealers made only a cursory reply or didn't supply a quote at all. So those guys did not get the opportunity to bid on this projects award. The one who took it seriously was the one licensed to offer the state contract pricing and was a big help throughout the process. As far as I was concerned, when the other vendors who wouldn't give Mr. Nobody in corncobb county the time of day, then when the award was announced, those previous efforts was a good enough reason to select him as the vendor of choice. I mean if he was serious then, why wouldn't he be serious throughout the process.

Just something that is gnawing on me a little. I'm sure FEMA will understand. Would be like they getting all the information from USA manufacturers and then selecting Chinese products.
    Jim,

Did someone at the Fed level prohibit you from using the state contract pricing? State contract/bid pricing is acceptable as all of the ground work has been completed. Sometimes sending the project out to bid vs. state pricing may provide better pricing though.

We use state bid pricing for everything except apparatus. I tend to get better pricing vs. state bid price as I'll request quotes from multiple vendors on that list.

The same with the HRT that had a reduction. All said and done the final pricing came in below state bid prices; instead of making up the shortage due to the reduction ended up with excess funds.

Forum Member

has anyone heard of doing a performance bid on radio equipment? It's supposedly where you tell the vendors how it has to perform. example, the radio has to recieve and transmit from location X. then the vendor bids what ever system they think or knows will perform that function. I personnel don't see how this is a good thing as you don't get the best price cause your not compairing apples to apples. And would AFG allow this kind of bid?

Thread Information