Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emt-b

Forum Member

Default Emt-b

I am going to be finishing my EMT class soon. I was wondering if anyone know a site or something that could help me study for the MA state EMT-B exam. Because Mass feels they have to be different they have their own test and don't use the national one. Thank you.

Forum Member

I don't think Ma. is the only state that does that.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

My teacher said Maryland and MA are the only ones. Also i said it likes to be different because it does so many things different than most other states.

There are, if I remember correctly, 10 states that won't even accept NREMT certifications and require you to take their own state test. More (like mine) accept NREMT, but offer their state test as well. The difference being that (at least here) our state test involves no practicals, only written testing. Not that big of a deal with EMT-Basic, but EMT-Paramedic has something like 11 practical stations on NREMT. A lot of extra work to put yourself through if you don't intend to go anywhere with your license. Me, well, I just want the gold patch.

Back to your original topic though. Most curriculum for EMT-Basic is pretty general throughout the states, as in you don't get a lot of variation in the scope of practice from state-to-state. You should look online for some study guides with practice tests, as well as check out your local bookstore (Borders, Barnes and Noble). They usually have a small selection hidden amongst a bunch of nursing books. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    My teacher said Maryland and MA are the only ones. Also i said it likes to be different because it does so many things different than most other states.
    Washington, Organ, Utah. Those are off the top of my head. There is alot more then 2.

I don't know about MA. But i used this site to prepare me for the NREMT. http://www.prenhall.com/emtachieve/
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Oh wow I didn't know so many states didn't accept NREMT. So it sounds like it pretty much doesn't matter what book i use or site because there is only so much there can be on the test?

Too bad your not in NY. You can download the actual practical skills sheets and tons of practice tests as well.

National Registry sounds good but in most cases it doesn't really make a lot of difference.
    Many of the states still require you to take their test to get your tag.

Test wise they all pretty much cover the same topics. What number is systolic pressure, what should you do in localized trauma to a forearm, what is the first thing you should do when arriving on scene. Things like that. The hard ones are usually scenario based and then they hand you answers that all look correct and want the best one.

Forum Member

Oh i have the practical sheets my instructor gave them to us. I was just looking for some study guides for the written.

Study those. Then think about what they are looking for and it will give you an idea what's on the written.
    Things like indicators you find during the initial assesment, What treatments you can give and dosages of meds used (O2 flow rates, abuterol dosage, Nitro dosages, Epi usage, contraindication for the above)
    What rates get used for different items. What order do you follow for your assesments,
    what questions do you ask Remeber your ABCs and PQRST. They usually toss a couple questions in about ethical and legal items as well. Usually some on protocols used, usually in the form of, What do you do next? Or If you find XXX what should you do?
    There are usually a few on scene safety and responder safety.
    I know the NY tests also have throw aways on them. Questions they are using to see if they should include them on new tests.
    If you paid attention during class you will do fine. When is your final?

Forum Member

My final is on April 4th. My state practical is on May 6th.

Thread Information