Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Dictionary.Com Definition: SPAM

Posted here only because I didn't want to perpetuate a different thread, but needed to respond to a specific point:

SPAM: dictionary.com defines Spam as

Spam  /spæm/ Show Spelled [spam] Show IPA noun, verb,spammed, spam·ming.

1.Trademark. a canned food product consisting esp. of pork formed into a solid block.
    –noun

2.(lowercase) a disruptive, esp. commercial message posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.
    –verb (used with object)

3.(lowercase) to send spam to.
    –verb (used without object)

4.(lowercase) to send spam
    So a particular statement that "its not spam because it did not arrive via email is HOOKUM.

Banned

However, according to the anti-spam group at spam.abuse,net

What is spam?

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

There are two main types of spam, and they have different effects on Internet users. Cancellable Usenet spam is a single message sent to 20 or more Usenet newsgroups. (Through long experience, Usenet users have found that any message posted to so many newsgroups is often not relevant to most or all of them.) Usenet spam is aimed at "lurkers", people who read newsgroups but rarely or never post and give their address away. Usenet spam robs users of the utility of the newsgroups by overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other irrelevant posts. Furthermore, Usenet spam subverts the ability of system administrators and owners to manage the topics they accept on their systems.

Email spam targets individual users with direct mail messages. Email spam lists are often created by scanning Usenet postings, stealing Internet mailing lists, or searching the Web for addresses. Email spams typically cost users money out-of-pocket to receive. Many people - anyone with measured phone service - read or receive their mail while the meter is running, so to speak. Spam costs them additional money. On top of that, it costs money for ISPs and online services to transmit spam, and these costs are transmitted directly to subscribers.

One particularly nasty variant of email spam is sending spam to mailing lists (public or private email discussion forums.) Because many mailing lists limit activity to their subscribers, spammers will use automated tools to subscribe to as many mailing lists as possible, so that they can grab the lists of addresses, or use the mailing list as a direct target for their attacks.
    Since this is not a usenet newsgroup group and it is not email, posting a message in a forum is not SPAM. Then again, I'm discussing this from a professional point of view.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

And your "professional point of view" is via which news agency?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    And your "professional point of view" is via which news agency?
    No news agency. Just from dealing with it on a regular basis. As a CISSP I am certified and qualified to speak on the subject. Plus half way to a Masters in Information Security. Let alone that I work in Cyber Security for the number one Information Security company in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    No news agency. Just from dealing with it on a regular basis. As a CISSP I am certified and qualified to speak on the subject. Plus half way to a Masters in Information Security. Let alone that I work in Cyber Security for the number one Information Security company in the world.

Yeah right!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information