Forum Member

sredish

you ask to many questions!!!!!!!!!!

if you look at fort worth, they pay while you go through training and a little more after you get out:::

Base Salary - $3,104 monthly during training (approximately six months) / $3999 monthly upon graduation ($47,986 annually)

cannot say much on medical cert, except I think you can get emt through the state of texas and or the nation registry and either is good to work in texas

suggest once again talk to hazco and they will tell you for sure,

or justwait and someone will but me straight

sounds like in your case you want to play it safe on get the certs first and then apply what ever works for you

as far as follow on training kind of depends on the dept you work for and where you want to go,

for medical paramedic would be a good thing to get.

on the fire side there are so many classes you can take that you will be doing it the rest of your career.

most departments either do thier own training, have instructors come in, or send you out to get the needed hours on both the fire and medical

Forum Member

i've seen the fort worth fd page several times, the one thing that gets me there is: "Must live within thirty (30) minutes of designated report-in station; must be accomplished within six months of employment.".... unless they have one in Denton, I'm screwed on that one. I have some friends that live here in the area and work in Lewisville and Mckinney and Addison, all past 30 min, so that may be a Ft Worth thing.

As far as the Ft Worth training, "The normal work day for recruit school is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Monday through Friday..." which doesn't work. Otherwise, I'd really enjoy trying to get on with them. That's the main reason I'm trying to get my certs myself, because I can do it around my schedule and maintain my current responsibilities.

And yes, I love questions......
    Last edited by sredish; 03-17-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

sredish

did not know that about fw, I wonder if they enforce that?'????

I thought a lot of cities got away from where you can live rule

if you drive fast you can hit the thirty minute mark!!!!!!!!!!

good luck in your endeavors!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdafd49 View Post
    sredish
    if you drive fast you can hit the thirty minute mark!!!!!!!!!!

good luck in your endeavors!!!!!!!!!
    oh, i can drive fast but I may not be employed very long... and thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    sredish

you ask to many questions!!!!!!!!!!
    Your one to talk!
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Default Fort Worth

sredish I dont think you understand what they are telling you about Fort Worth. They hire you then send you to the training. You will be a full time employee of the fire department if they send you to the training. You dont do the training then get hired. Even if you have your certs I think Fort Worth will still send you to their academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by txchf1 View Post
    sredish I dont think you understand what they are telling you about Fort Worth. They hire you then send you to the training. You will be a full time employee of the fire department if they send you to the training. You dont do the training then get hired. Even if you have your certs I think Fort Worth will still send you to their academy.
    Read this entire thread. Sredish was initially asking how to obtain certification/training on his/her own. Fire49 felt he had to post one of his gem of a spam post which had nothing to do with the questions Sredish was asking.

Forum Member

Default Oops

My bad. I assumed he was wanting the certs in order to get hired. He stated:

As far as the Ft Worth training, "The normal work day for recruit school is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Monday through Friday..." which doesn't work. Otherwise, I'd really enjoy trying to get on with them. That's the main reason I'm trying to get my certs myself, because I can do it around my schedule and maintain my current responsibilities.

I guess the part "I'd really enjoy trying to get on with them." threw me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    i've seen the fort worth fd page several times, the one thing that gets me there is: "Must live within thirty (30) minutes of designated report-in station; must be accomplished within six months of employment.".... unless they have one in Denton, I'm screwed on that one. I have some friends that live here in the area and work in Lewisville and Mckinney and Addison, all past 30 min, so that may be a Ft Worth thing.

And yes, I love questions......
    They do have that rule but it's not enforced.

Ft Worth's training is a career. You get paid with benefits while in the academy, graduate, then go into operations as a firefighter.

As someone who's applied everywhere and worked for 2 different department, don't just get a cert and try to get on "just to get a job." Then, when you hear of how much better the guys at BFE FD have it than you, you end up trying to switch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by txchf1 View Post
    My bad. I assumed he was wanting the certs in order to get hired. He stated:

I guess the part "I'd really enjoy trying to get on with them." threw me.
    don't forget this one also:

Quote Originally Posted by sredish
    "Must live within thirty (30) minutes of designated report-in station; must be accomplished within six months of employment.".... unless they have one in Denton, I'm screwed on that one.
    I'm 100% unable to leave my current situation, so I have to work around it. I am looking for a career change, in the fact that career is my stable dependent livelihood. But, the bills have to get paid and that won't get done with me being in an 8 to 5 class every day... being in construction, i have contractual obligations with people that I must follow through with. i totally understand what Ft Worth is about but, besides the mileage thing, it still won't work.

Other than that, correct me if I'm wrong, but most everything else I've looked at has some cert requirements to get hired, whether they send you to school or not. Other than vol and Ft Worth, i haven't seen a single one that says, "no exp. necessary"...

I've pretty much decided to start Haz Co next month, go through their Fire Academy, follow on with their EMT-B and then start looking to get hired. I have a good friend who's been an 18 year FF/Medic and is in Denton (or maybe Euless); he's giving me excellent guidance on how to proceed. Once I get my certifications, I'm going to think about moving into medic school next fall somewhere. If I get hired, great, I'll work through it but doesn't sound like it's a quick process to get hired, so I'm going to get as much training as possible and if necessary, start work as an EMT somewhere close until FF kicks off.
    Last edited by sredish; 03-25-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Forum Member

Just bear in mind most departments have a cut off at age 35. You've got to be complete hired before your 36th birthday. I remember you stating you were 32. You can go to academy, get out, and start applying but it'll be close.

Hiring process quick? Sometimes it is but you should be prepared to wait 6 months (and that's real rare) to a year between applying and actually starting.

Getting your FF cert (with EMT-B along with it) and possibly your medic will be a good start. Padding your resume with certs isn't necessarily bad, but I'd be more focused on my test taking skills since you've got to score high enough on the entrance exam to progress further.

A good civil service dept is as stable as it comes. Unless I commit some gross felonious act, or just go AWOL I can't get fired. Paycuts, layoffs, and furloughs aren't something I worry about either. Chapter 143 civil service is where it's at.

That's my $.02. There are others on here that have gone through more hiring processes than I have. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

cool thanks. the age thing does bother me a little and i feel a little rushed, like the clock is ticking. starting the process on the FF/EMTB in a couple weeks, so I'll at least feel like I'm progressing forward then. I also have a couple applications out to some local volunteer depts to start getting some experience. My hopes are up, I'm putting a lot into this, and to not get hired by the age cutoff would be, well... i'm not sure what the best words are to explain but it will damn sure not be good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    Hiring process quick? Sometimes it is but you should be prepared to wait 6 months (and that's real rare) to a year between applying and actually starting.
    Nearly the same situation I was in. It seems that at least in the DFW area, many of the civil service F.D.'s utilize an eligibility waiting list. I can see how this would greatly benefit a department by only needing to test 1-2 times a year, instead of being caught off guard and having to scramble to fill a vacancy everytime someone leaves the department. In my testing experience, most of the non-civil service F.D.'s I tested with had a very fast hiring process. One non-civil service F.D.'s entire hiring process was less than 2 months!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pewter98 View Post
    Nearly the same situation I was in. It seems that at least in the DFW area, many of the civil service F.D.'s utilize an eligibility waiting list. I can see how this would greatly benefit a department by only needing to test 1-2 times a year, instead of being caught off guard and having to scramble to fill a vacancy everytime someone leaves the department. In my testing experience, most of the non-civil service F.D.'s I tested with had a very fast hiring process. One non-civil service F.D.'s entire hiring process was less than 2 months!
    pros/cons of civil vs non-civil? I'd feel extremely lucky to get hired w/in 6 months of completion.

Forum Member

From my previous post: "A good civil service dept is as stable as it comes. Unless I commit some gross felonious act, or just go AWOL I can't get fired. Paycuts, layoffs, and furloughs aren't something I worry about either. Chapter 143 civil service is where it's at."

It's what allows a fair promotion system, a fair step-by-step disciplinary system. No at-will employment. No promotions based on the "good ol' boy" system.

MembersZone Subscriber

damn, no internet capable devices... well, there goes that.

My issue with hiring on with no certs is 1) can't expect much pay with that, 2) you're on their schedule for training (i'm assuming) and 3) can't see how that option would work when you have a family and a very demanding business to tend to.

1) no i didn't get much pay in academy but i get good pay now and one of the top retirements in the state

2) you are their employee, so yeah you are on their schedule, it's called a job numb nuts.

3) your fire department employment is your job, your business is your side job, if you want to be a fireman, get this in your head.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

My issue with hiring on with no certs is 1) can't expect much pay with that, 2) you're on their schedule for training (i'm assuming) and 3) can't see how that option would work when you have a family and a very demanding business to tend to. I think the ideal scenario is to get all the training and certs necessary on your schedule, hope you get enough training to be efficient in your duties and then apply / test like mad and try to get hired as quickly as possible.

Holy &^%&^ I must've missed reading all of that.

1) It pays the bills unless you have a bloated standard of living. I provided for a wife and 2 kids on it. Most of all it means you have a job and get paid to be trained.
    2) Which is because you now work for them since... you have a job!!
    3) What do you think the career fire service is? A hobby? If you want to work a side business on your day off you can (after the academy). Lots of guys do it. But if your business sinks you've got a FT job already paying you $.

Getting a stack of training may help you get hired, but it may not. Training doesn't get you to the head of the line in a hiring process. There's also a lot of experience that supercedes training and you can't learn that before your hired. Therefore, don't expect to be "efficient at your duties" after fire school. Doing practice burns at a college and a real fire are 2 different things, believe me!

If you want to burn some cash and get all these certs in the chance you might get hired before you're 35 go for it.

Don't listen to us. Heck, we don't know what it's like to have families, businesses, and still be firefighters at the same time.
    Last edited by agavegrove; 04-01-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Forum Member

well, first off, it's not like i have job i can walk away from; i run a business and have contractual obligations to people that i must meet. you guys are acting like if i don't step up to ft worth, it's not worth my time. pretty much all job offers i've seen require some certification to even apply and have been told that as well, barring a few large departments like ft worth (which i must live within 30 min. of.) My intentions are to phase out my business altogether and if i was through with my current contracts, i'd probably go ahead and do that but i'm not. i have at least another 4 or 5 months of work to finish up before i can 'quit my day job'.... and i'm just trying to get a little ahead of the curve in the meantime. and sure, i won't have the years of experience of someone that started 5 years before me, but i should still have a lot more options having certs than not having any at all.

I love how you two are putting me down with me acting like i'm going at it as a hobby, you are all right on the money there. [sarcasm] And when did I say you all don't know anything about what it's like to have families and such. Everybody's situation is different and there are different options available to meet those situations; this one happens to work for me the best, not sure why it's a negative that i'm working in that direction. Not too mention, i could try and hire on one of these jobs that accept no exp. and be there with thousands of people younger than me that don't have the obligations i do and can benefit greatly from that type of scenario. i would love to be able to do that, walk on and go through their class and have a kick *** job when it's over but i'm not in the position to do that, unfortunately.

the age thing scares me and it does seem like there's a little bit of a chance i'm taking but if i just keep thinking about it, it'll never happen.
    Last edited by sredish; 04-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

if you take fort worths test now, the academy won't start until october is the biggest rumor, the reasoning is that the academy class is not in this budget year it is the next budget year which begins october 1.

that would give you ample time to fullfill your contracts.

and no you do not have to live within 30 minutes but i would make sure you do during academy.

but if you want to get certs and try to get hired elsewhere or get certs and still test for larger depts. then no one is dogging you. but based off of those three comments i quoted it made it seem as if you were pretty lakadasical in your efforts of truly wanting the job. you came off as, "I want to be a fireman, but only on my terms."

a great saying is "one's perception is their reality" I percieved you as a diva wanting to be a fireman, therefore my reality of you is you are a diva wanting to play fireman

and everyone understands the family part, the contracts, now that you explained a little better, well it makes more sense regarding you'r predicament.

I would also remember that firemen like to push peoples buttons, so don't get the lace on your undies ruffled too much.

good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp View Post
    if you take fort worths test now, the academy won't start until october is the biggest rumor, the reasoning is that the academy class is not in this budget year it is the next budget year which begins october 1.

that would give you ample time to fullfill your contracts.

and no you do not have to live within 30 minutes but i would make sure you do during academy.

but if you want to get certs and try to get hired elsewhere or get certs and still test for larger depts. then no one is dogging you. but based off of those three comments i quoted it made it seem as if you were pretty lakadasical in your efforts of truly wanting the job. you came off as, "I want to be a fireman, but only on my terms."

a great saying is "one's perception is their reality" I percieved you as a diva wanting to be a fireman, therefore my reality of you is you are a diva wanting to play fireman

and everyone understands the family part, the contracts, now that you explained a little better, well it makes more sense regarding you'r predicament.

I would also remember that firemen like to push peoples buttons, so don't get the lace on your undies ruffled too much.

good luck
    i can take pretty much anything anyone can dish out, don't get ruffled at all, so no worries but I also don't need anyone explaining to me what a job is... i've discovered that all on my own many years ago, now it's time to try and change the job into something that's more fulfilling.

I've looked at it like this:

1) get certified and 'hire-ready' over the next 6 months or so and get what I think could be ahead of the curve (but maybe not as I'm new to this field)

or

2) continue down this path or grab a meaningless job, try and get hired on somewhere that excepts inexperienced new hires and wait till fall to start.

With 1, I could be finished and ready to hire as a FF/EMT by the end of summer, with 2, it will be nearly a year before I get certified to begin work but I could be going through an academy on their dime with the opportunity to work for a good dept afterwards.

With 1, I could feasibly finish the FF/EMT training and step into a medic program next fall and be finished with it by next spring, say a little over a year from now. I view that as giving me much stronger options down the road and in a more favorable hiring position.

One hangup I have is how many applicants are there trying to get in and how many spots.... I'm guessing something like 2000 applicants / 35 positions... maybe a little more or less but that's what I imagine.

With Ft Worth, I know you all are saying that the 30 min. rule is not enforced but I can't help but stare at it on the application, which I have looked at a bunch. Hypothetically, lets say I get hired on there as a trainee, go through with it and can't commit to the 30min deal and then am let go because of it... then I wind up out of it all, no certs, no job. That scares me a little.

In regards to all of this, I'm not super young anymore, i don't look at things emotionally as you do when your 18 or 20. I look at things as a business or career deal and look at it down the road. I just can't help but think, getting started on it now, I can get myself further faster doing it on my own, even though it'll be a lot more work and dedication as I'll have zero spare time and be working my *** off hardcore for the next 6 months. Not a diva wanting to play, am an early30s guy doing what I think's best for him and his family and using what i think is the best path to get there.

Looking at application:

If offered a beginning position, are you willing to abide by the residency requirement in the Code of the City of Fort Worth, Article V, Personnel, Section 2-189, which states:
    Employees who reside outside the city limits and must respond to a civil emergency are required to reside at a location which allows them to respond to such an emergency within thirty(30) minutes?
    Yes No

Forum Member

Pretty much what trevor said. Because when I went back and read it I read the same thing.

About the residency rule: We're telling you.... They don't enforce it. I have heard of 0 terminations due to this rule.

We don't care if anyone on here works for FW or not. We love it. It's the best to be in our opinion. We're intimately familiar with the hiring process. I used to work for San Angelo, who also hires with no certs, and puts you through medic school. After being hired by both I think I can speak on how to get a job. So you can imagine the irritation when you're trying to tell someone "Here's an easier way to achieve your goal." And their reply comes across as "Nope. I'll do it my way."

Good luck to you. Maybe someday you'll be on this side of the fire station dishing it out (and taking it).

33, former business owner, wife, 3 kids
    Last edited by agavegrove; 04-01-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post

About the residency rule: We're telling you.... They don't enforce it. I have heard of 0 terminations due to this rule.
    Well, that would be a good thing as I'm about an hour away.

We don't care if anyone on here works for FW or not. We love it. It's the best to be in our opinion. We're intimately familiar with the hiring process. I used to work for San Angelo, who also hires with no certs, and puts you through medic school. After being hired by both I think I can speak on how to get a job. So you can imagine the irritation when you're trying to tell someone "Here's an easier way to achieve your goal." And their reply comes across as "Nope. I'll do it my way."
    Well, when I apply at FW and go through the process, I'll know who to look to for advice then... I'll need the inside info on the hiring process. I may go ahead and apply and see what happens. I'm not so stubborn that I don't accept or respect others advice or direction I have just felt that it's not really a possibility but the more I think about it, maybe it could be. Anything that would be easier I'm all for, I just felt that might have been a limitation.

Good luck to you. Maybe someday you'll be on this side of the fire station dishing it out (and taking it).

33, former business owner, wife, 3 kids
    Thanks for the advice and relevance, that's pretty much where i'm at but on this side of things... i've been burnt out in my current business for awhile but i've been able to tolerate it due to the good life it's given but it's now become such a burden in this economy that I'm past ready to get out. A friend has been wanting me to get into the academy for awhile, and while I've wanted to just haven't had the time... well... it's time to make time... can we do that, make more time?

MembersZone Subscriber

sredish,

i'm going to go ahead and say that agavegrove and i are not trying to put you down or belittle you, we are just presenting our points of view from people who were in your shoes several years ago and we LOVE the fire service and love seeing people working hard to earn the job.

Firemen have an odd way of communicating, this more often than not comes off as abrasive, it's just chop busting and letting you know that what you wrote came off bad to us.

with that in mind, it is extemely difficult to convey one's intentions in the forums because of the informality of the written word. not to mention, many people in the forums, including myself, are just too lazy to write with proper grammer and punctuation. Makes it hard to understand sometimes when comas, periods, capitalization and spelling are all thrown out the window. after all this is not formal communication or a research paper, it's a forum of firemen bitching at each other.

so no disrespect, just using our unique ways of education to enlighten you.

Forum Member

no worries, ain't no thang.

i'm an anal freak when it comes to educating myself so the more comments, suggestions and advice, the better. And I'm never offended by someone trying to help.

I did go ahead and apply at the FW site; fwiw. They said testing will be in May I think, however the academy I was going to attend starts April 26, so I'll have started the class before I know a thing about FW and if I skip the academy to focus on FW, the chances of getting accepted are low, so I'd end up out on both ends... so I'm staying the course until I know something more.

Thread Information