Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FF academy - N Texas

looking for a place i can obtain the schooling to get my FF cert, but I'm strictly limited to evenings / weekends. I am unable to find such a place and feel I'm left only with online... (trainingdivision.com or fireacademyonline.com). I'm afraid this is going to hinder me in the future for hiring purposes but maybe not. Do any of you know of a 'night school' type place or prefer one of the above online sources, if they're even worthwhile?

Thanks.
    Scott

I know a good number of guys who've gone through TDivision and gotten hired.

If that is the only way you can do it, then go for it.

Thanks so much for the info, HMFF...

Hey,

I went through Training Division and got hired on a full time dept within about 4 months later. So did alot of the guys in my class, both US and Canada. TD is exceptional.

I highly recommend it. Online classes ARE the future of Firefighting. People are just slow to accept change.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Pete

Forum Member

as stated depts do not look much at where you gaot your cert, as long as you have, because most do a year probation, in which they show you thier way, and see if you are going to be able to do the job.

what are you going to do about your emt requirement??????????

http://www.hazco-fire.com/

have you checked tarrant county to see if they do night class:

http://www.tccd.edu/Courses_and_Prog...echnology.html

weatherford::

http://www.wc.edu/programs/fireacademy/

collin county::

http://www.ccccd.edu/firescience/

ne:::

http://www.fireskills.com/

n tx:

http://www.ntfaonline.com/

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71585 (Fire Academies in Dallas/Fort Worth Metro)

city of dallas and fort worth will hire with out certs

or get your paramedic and some cities will send you through the fire academy

Forum Member

also search the counties around here and give the different academies a call::::

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/director...facilities.asp

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/director...facilities.asp

I have been searching like crazy for EMT training night or weekend and can't find any off hand nearby. I'm actually north of Dallas, near Sherman. It looks like that HazCo might be the ticket, in Denison pretty close to me, offering both fire and emt certs. I don't have any college at all and am afraid this might hurt me as well.

One of the things I liked about the TDivision is, through Hill College, you can obtain college credits as well for going through their course. The EMT I figured on doing at a comm. college for the credits as well and HazCo's is through Grayson community. HazCo might be the ticket though; just left them a message.

I attended Tarrant County College "traditional" schedule basic fire academy and it was a great experience! State of the art facility and very good veteran instructors! It was almost 100 hours of additional lecture/ hands-on training than T.C.F.P requires for a basic fire cert. They do offer an evening/saturday academy. Both the T.C.C. traditional and evening fire academys cost far less than the online ones. On top of T.C.F.P. core requirements for basic fire academy cert., T.C.C. features many training scenarios/props that are not found at most other academys.

http://www.tccd.edu/Courses_and_Prog...echnology.html

Here are some online articles about the fire academy:

http://www.kiddeft.com/utcfs/ws-442/...t%20County.pdf

http://www.firetrainer.de/utcfs/ws-3...%20Article.pdf

http://www.oneworkplace.com/images/d...case_study.pdf
    Last edited by pewter98; 03-15-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

thanks pewter, TCC looks like a great place to attend. Looks like I missed the March cutoff... I'm going to call them tomorrow to discuss their academy with them.

I'm getting to this too late... it's after 5 and no one is answering. I'll use this thread as a compiled list and make calls tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    thanks pewter, TCC looks like a great place to attend. Looks like I missed the March cutoff... I'm going to call them tomorrow to discuss their academy with them.

I'm getting to this too late... it's after 5 and no one is answering. I'll use this thread as a compiled list and make calls tomorrow.
    Your welcome. They are definitely worth looking into! I did my E.M.T.-Basic course at T.C.C as well, though I did the all-day Mon. course. They also offer an evening E.M.T.-Basic course. I think it's Tues. & Thurs. nights.

Contrary to what some on these boards hope/believe, most departments DO take into consideration where and how you obtained your certs. Can online ff/emt certs. get you a job? Sure. Will the department that hired you have to spend the time to reteach you the basics of firefighting since you only had two weeks worth of hands on time? Probably!

It's better to be proficient in the basics of firefighting prior to being hired than to always be one step behind everyone else. That proficiency will pay off when the tones go off!

Contrary to what some on these boards hope/believe, most departments DO take into consideration where and how you obtained your certs.
    I'm sure, without a doubt and that scares me. HazCo still looks like a good option, it's 15 miles from me and they have night / weekend classes that start in April, unfortunately, I have to go to AZ for the first week (till the 6th) in AZ to help with 3 year old nephew who was jus diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. I'm hoping that class starts mid-April and then it will work perfectly. If it starts April 1 and I can't start the class, i'll be p*ssed and may have to end up with an online course. NETexasFire looks like it could be a good online option for me but we'll see.

I emailed the TCC rep about their courses and will be making a lot of calls tomorrow. I also have an application for volunteer work at multiple places to get that underway. Did I mention I'm 32 and working on a career change? I have my own construction company and have been self-employed straight out of high school. The economy has given me an opportunity to move towards something I've dreamed of for years and it's finally looking like it will become a reality. Unfortunately, having a large business and a nice family gives me lots of responsibility that I can't ignore at the moment. I've been working on downsizing and reducing overhead so I'm working my way there.

Pewter, thanks again for the help.

I hope everything works out for your nephew. I went through a similar event with my grandfather last summer.

I know what your talking about having to commute long distances for your training. In my academy, we had several guys from the Plano area, one from North Dallas, and one guy that was hired by Mesquite F.D. When he was hired by Mesquite F.D., he had no prior certs., so they sent him to a nearby E.M.T.-Basic course. Then the next available fire academy starting was at T.C.C., so this guy had to commute from east of Mesquite to northwest Fort Worth 5 days a week! That was back when gas was hitting @ $4.00 a gallon!

I think the evening E.M.T.-Basic course (Tues. & Thurs. nights from aprox. 6-10 p.m.) @ T.C.C. Northeast Campus recurs each semester (Spring, Summer, Fall). But the evening/saturday fire academy at T.C.C. Northwest Campus only starts in Feb./Mar. of each year, unless they have changed it. When was attending the day-time fire academy, I learned that most of the recruits who were in the evening/saturday fire academy were about the same age as you and in the same career changing situation as yourself.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Edit: I forgot to mention that T.C.C.'s fire academy gives you the option of paying for your fire academy hours as non-credit or accredited. The cost of the non-credit fire academy tution when I attended was aprox. $790. I chose the accredited option, which was aprox. $930 and gave me 18 hours of college credit. My textbook, fire academy dress shirts, and T-shirts brought the cost to aprox. $1,020.

The number of college hours that you recieve at T.C.C.'s fire academy is less than some because other fire academys add the E.M.T.-Basic course hours into account. The E.M.T.-Basic course @ T.C.C. is totally seperate from the fire academy, though you still get college credit for it. You must show course completion from any accredited E.M.T.-Basic course before they will allow you to enroll into T.C.C.'s fire academy.
    Last edited by pewter98; 03-16-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Talked with Haz Co. Their academy starts April 19th which is perfect scheduling-wise for me. It's Mon-Thurs 5:30 to 10 pm and Sat 8 to 5, so it definitely eats into my family life but it will benefit them in the long run. She mentioned the course was ran by quite a few local long time FF and a few chiefs and they have ride alongs at fire departments and require the recruits to help in some situations as well. Sounded like A LOT of hands on and mentioned that a Dallas metro trainer called to mention they produced one of the first FFs that didn't need to be sent to their own academy. They also incorporate a 2 mile run every day you're there to promote fitness and prepare you. Really sounds like a good deal, not too mention it's in my back yard.

One thing I was thinking of though is, some academies tout that you end up with FF1, FF2, HazAware and HazOp... Is this important? Sounded like the HazCo rep said when you leave, you'll be certified as firefighter 1 status or something like that. Is that a TX 'title' where some academies are using the FF1 and FF2 as selling tools or should I be looking at a course that specifies all that? Maybe I'm not getting it but it seems having a seal for FF1 and FF2 as well as the others would be beneficial over just FF1, or at the end of the day, is it just the TX fire cert that they're mostly looking for and how well you're trained?

I should add that HazCo is about 400 dollars over most others but it appears it could be worth it. Also, if I get on with at the one house I'm trying to volunteer at, they give discounts for volunteers.

Those seals you are talking about are the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) seals:

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standards/ifsac_faqs.asp

Basically, if you move to another state that participates in IFSAC, that state may accept your IFSAC seal as proof of training to the level stated on the seal. It's kind of like the E.M.S National Registry.

Any Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)-approved basic structure fire suppression training program (fire academy) will award you FF1, FF2, HazAware and HazOp upon successfully completing their commission-approved basic structure fire suppression training program, passing the commission's basic structure fire suppression examination (the state exam), and show proof of completion of required emergency medical response training.

Just read where you said your academy was 1k dollars... everything i find is in the 2500 range. i want the best I can afford/schedule but dang, don't want to pay an extra 1000 or 1500 if i don't have to.

Gotchya on the IFSAC stuff now... i should have caught that.

Forum Member

for most depts in your area they require tcfp certification which requires medical certifiaction, and alot want emt -B at least, and some will not talk to you if you are not a paramedic.

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standard...tification.asp

•Show proof of completion of required emergency medical response training.
    The third requirement in becoming eligible for basic fire suppression certification is to show proof that you have completed, at a minimum, the Department of State Health Service's (DSHS) emergency care attendant (ECA) or American Red Cross Emergency Responder (with optional lessons and enrichment sections) training. For more information about meeting the emergency response requirement, please refer to the Standards Manual, Section 423.1(b).

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

cdafd, thanks for that. yessir, i have all intentions of pushing right through into all that. main thing that's been holding me up is finding the right location to work with my very hectic schedule; which leaves me to online or something night.

Haz-Co goes through the full fire academy then TCFP comes in and tests you at their facility. Afterwards, like a week off, then you roll right into the EMTB training, which is worked sponsored by the local comm college, using their instructors. So, after the deal is done, you walk away certified on both ends. Lots of hard work and busting your arse compared to an online deal but I'm more the sure it's worth it in the end. She also said, if you fail to get hired in the year's time, you can come back and get your 40 hours in at no charge for the fire cert.
    Last edited by sredish; 03-16-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sredish View Post
    Haz-Co goes through the full fire academy then TCFP comes in and tests you at their facility. Afterwards, like a week off, then you roll right into the EMTB training, which is worked sponsored by the local comm college, using their instructors. So, after the deal is done, you walk away certified on both ends. Lots of hard work and busting your arse compared to an online deal but I'm more the sure it's worth it in the end. She also said, if you fail to get hired in the year's time, you can come back and get your 40 hours in at no charge for the fire cert.
    Just remember your TCFP certification will not be valid until you have finished your E.M.T.-Basic course and passed the national registry exam. By passing the national registry exam, you will then be allowed to turn in your Texas DSHS certification forms:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...pplication.pdf

cdafd49: I don't know if your from Texas and I could care less, but you really need to actually do some research to see that your information concering what goes on with Texas Fire/EMS is valid instead of copying/pasting the first thing you find off a search enigine.

I've only been in the fire service for 3 years, but I've viewed TCFP's, TML, and other F.D. job listings countless times. In that time, I've only come across ONE full-time paid firefighter job opening in Texas that would allow the applicants to apply if they only had their FF/ECA certs. That job was in a town that wasn't even on the map, paid $10/hr, and had almost no benefits.

pewter, I guess I'm confused. I'm on my phone so I can't check that link right now but... I was under the impression that the tcfp is completely separate from the natl reg for emt, how can it not be valid? Or do you mean that it's not professionally valid as the tcfp cert isn't vey useful w/o the emt cert to go along? I've been searching for the past week and haven't heard anything about dshs, this is new to me. I need to get on a computer so I can figure out what that's about.

This HazCo walks you through all the testing as well. I'm worried about how much time it'll take up but it has to be worth the extra effort, having all the direct hands on.

You are correct in that both the TCFP and NR are completely separate orginazations, but:

1. To obtain your TCFP certs., you must show proof of Texas DSHS EMT cert.

2. To initially obtain Texas DSHS EMT cert., you must first pass the National Registry exam.

*Most departments in Texas do not require you to keep renewing your NR EMT cert., but it's a good idea since you will have already gotten it.

It seems that some fire academys will let people attend without any EMS cert. Once completing the fire academy, those people are even allowed to pay the test fee and take the TCFP's state exam. But when they try to look up their certification status on TCFP's website, their status will read "No certifications are listed for _____ _______." This is due to those people not being able to show proof of completion of required emergency medical response training. They are in TCFP's database, along with their state exam test score. It's just that none of that is valid until those people can show proof of completion of required emergency medical response training.

Thread Information