Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Default Ifsi fire college 2010?

Hello,
    I am attending Fire College down in Champaign IL June 3-6. This is my 1st year attending. It is 4 days full of live fire and only costs 300 bucks so I thought I will go down and check it out. I have been a FF for 15 years and finally am getting around to it and going. Anyone have any past experiences at Fire College...did you like it? How many people attend..Is it a pretty good turn out? How hot do the evolutions get? Thanks for the info. Hope to see you down there.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

I attended Fire College last year for my first time in my 5 years as a volunteer. I took "Fireground Search and Rescue" and "Firefighting in Single-Family Dwellings". The event overall had a huge turnout, with people from all over the country both teaching and participating. Many of my instructors were Chicago Firefighters, as well as a couple from FDNY. Also saw participants with Chicago and FDNY bunker gear on.

I'm always looking for some good hands-on fire training, and definently found it here. I think my biggest problem though was the lack of live fire training in the classes I chose. I didn't have any live fire training in "Search and Rescue", and only had one section of "Single Family Dwelling" with live fire. So, out of 16 hours of hands-on, probably 2 of live fire. And I'm not a big fan of using my nomex hood to black-out my mask. Despite this, everything was still pretty awesome.

When it comes to training, I think a training session is phenomenal when I leave feeling like an idiot. Not necessarily because I messed something up hardcore, but because my instructor(s) have blown my mind with their knowledge and what they've taught me in the time I'm at their station. And I had this happen multiple times throughout the weekend.

My department will usually sent 6-8 guys per year. I went last year, and plan to be going this year too. I hear "Coordinated Fireground Ops" is a real ****-buster, so probably will be doing that as well as First-In Officer.

Yeah I am going to do cord. fire ground operations, and fighting fires in single family dwellings, how are those classes? lots of fire? What would you say the turn out was, 300, 400,500 people? 1000 people?Thanks

(W-6)

D-P-T

Forum Member

I hear Coordinated has a lot of live fire, and looked like it did from what I saw. Like I said above, Single-Family Dwelling only had one live fire practical, but it was still an excellent class. Maybe not 1,000 people there, but more than 500 I bet.

Wow not a bad turn out. I am definitely doing coordinated fire ground operations. For coordinated fire ground operations do you switch your evolutions between the tower, tax payer, and 1 story ranch, and how much fire do you see in those two days of that class? I am deciding between advanced auto extrication, or fighting fires in SFDís. Which one would you pick? It should be a fun 4 days. Thanks brother.

(W-6)

D-P-T

Forum Member

Not sure about Coordinated, haven't done it. I think they spent most of their time at the taxpayer. SFD did their stuff in the 1 story ranch. I think the tower was mostly used for the Recruit Training/Core Competencies.

Between Advanced Auto and SFD, I'd probably take SFD. Their Advanced Auto class seems interesting but with outrageous scenerios, like two cars stuck between two rail cars with a telephone pole through them. My personal belief though is that I go to Fire College for just that, Fire. I can typically find numerous Extrication and EMS classes throughout the year, but good fire training is few and far between. I'm a Paramedic by career, and do everything I can to better myself as an EMS professional. But Fire College is for my volunteer position, not my career position.

I took the advanced auto extraction last year. The class blew my mind. The scenarios were extreme, but it was all about the thought process of what you need to do and how. They set up the cars and tell you team your time starts now. Thats it. The instructors make you come up with your own ideas and methods. They will give you advice if you ask but wont let anything too risky happen. I felt so stupid after my first scenario I had to be team leader. (lots too learn!!!!)Thinking outside the box is what the class is about. I will be taking it again this year plus a fire class too.

Forum Member

My number one word of advice for anyone hoping to go to IFSI's Fire College, and get the classes you want is to register ASAP. Registration opens April 5th, and many of the good classes will fill that day or the next. Everyone that I know that has gone absolutely loves it, and no one has said anything bad. Summer Fire College is more exciting that Winter Fire College, but both offer good advice and knowledge, so if you're bored in the Winter, come on down too!

Forum Member

What's the difference between the Entry Level Firefighter training (4 day class), and the Firefighter Core Competencies course? The descriptions looks pretty much the same.
    Last edited by FyrnResQ; 04-04-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Forum Member

Entry-Level is a 4-day course, Core Competencies is a 2-day.

Forum Member

I have gone to IFSI for the past 2 years, and it has been great. I registered last night for fighting fires in SFD, and advanced auto x, and got them. I would definately take the advice of registering TODAY. These classes do indeed fill quickly. IFSI is great, I have taken the SCBA course, basic auto x, and pumper operations at fire college along with numerous cornerstone classes. It really is a great thing, especially for small career and volunteer departments. The instructors are very knowledgable, and let everyone participate when hands on training involved. Good luck, hope you get what you want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruckSixFF View Post
    Yeah I am going to do cord. fire ground operations, and fighting fires in single family dwellings, how are those classes? lots of fire? What would you say the turn out was, 300, 400,500 people? 1000 people?Thanks
    The turnout is great, people are coming to fire college from all around the country.

Last summer their cadet program during the summer was the same way. There were kids coming from canada, california, etc.

I think there are about 50-60 people per class/per session. Depending on the class there could be as many as 8-10 instructors. So its a pretty good time. On friday night they have a family night where they do an LP burn, flashover simulator, and sprikler simulator. You can take your family or buddies and go to the fire grounds for these festivities.

Provided lunch is always good too. Catered food, pretty much the basic ****.

All in all its a great time. Especailly for someone like myself who looks foward to it every year. Im sure you'll have fun.

I just registered and I am going to be doing Coordinated Fire Ground Operations Thursday and Friday, and Advanced Auto Extrication Saturday and Sunday. A guy from my Dept is coming down with me and we are both taking the two classes on the same days. How does it work, will we be but in the same company/group for those two classes, because for Coordinated Fire Ground Ops it says there are over 100 in that, and about 60-70 in auto X? Hope to see you all down there, it should be a good four days. Stay safe.

(W-6)

D-P-T

Forum Member

They're usually pretty good about letting you work with people from your own Department, or surrounding communities. I worked with a couple of guys I knew from Springfield and some guys from Schaumburg that I'd never met before, both times were awesome.

Forum Member

I've signed up for ff core compentices thurs/fri and single family dwellings sat/sun. This is gonna be my first year going, but several guys from my department have gone/are going and can not say enough good things about the school. Any one heard anything about the book sale?

Forum Member

I'm signed up for Core Compentices on Thurs/Fri & Coordinated Ops on Sat/Sun. Sounds like it's going to be a good time!
    Last edited by FyrnResQ; 04-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.

So for Advanced Auto X do the instructors give your crew a vehicle and you have to engage it like a real scenario. I am asking because most of the pictures I have looked at from Advanced Auto X just show the crews working on stabilization with (rescue struts, cribbing, and air bags) of the vehicles, and not much "actual" extrication with the tools. Sounds like the scenarios are pretty intense though. Also for Coordinated Fire Ground Ops is it set up so for each evolution people are put into an engine, truck, and even a squad and all the companies go to work? How is that class operated? Thanks.

(W-6)

D-P-T

Default Maybe this will help...

In any of the fire classes...there will be fire. However, you are not going to go in and actually fight them as you would an actual fire. They usually have a very small tip on the nozzle as to not put out the burns. Is it hot?...YES!

Single Family Dwellings is a great class. I took it last year. It is usually done in the Single Family building and then an off-site house. At the off-site location they usually go over ventilation and overhaul. We actually did the overhaul and learned some techniques to make the job easier. At the end of the day off-site, we did timed rescues through a window with a dummy. They preach fast primary searches in this class. At the SF building we went in several times to do searches and open the place up for ventilation. You will be divided into crews...and then those crews will switch between Engine, Truck and Squad.

Advanced Auto...is a great class that lets you do scenarios and put your previous training to work. Basic class teaches you how...and advanced lets you do it.

Coordinated Fireground Ops. I have yet to take this class but have had several of my folks that have. They say it is great, intense and plan to work your butt into the dirt.

Of course these are my opinions...hope it helps. All three of the classes I have talked about have a history of filling up EXTREMELY fast.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept/community.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard any rumblings about attendance problems this year? I know the registration period is early, however, it seems really slow. There were 103 slots open for one of my classes (which was toted as 'get in fast or else you might not get a slot', and as of tonight, there are still 86 slots. I guess the economy plays a huge role in it. $150-300 + food and housing can be quite costly for some departments.

Forum Member

I'm signed up for First-In Officer on Thurs/Fri and Coordinated Fireground Sat/Sun. FyrnResQ, did you take SFD last year on Sat/Sun? Might have seen you if so.

Thread Information