Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default grant writer fees

If I pay a grant writer for help with my 2010 AFG, what's a reasonable fee that DHS will reimburse if I get the grant?

Forum Member

I only ask 10%.

Seriously, do you have any idea how much your going to ask for?

$750 is usually a good starting price.

(if they allow if this year)

Forum Member

from the 2009 AFG program guidance:
    7. Grant Writer Fees: Fees for grant writers may be included as a preaward or pre-application expenditure. Fees payable on a contingency basis are not an eligible expense. For grant writer fees to be eligible as a preaward expenditure, the fees must be specifically identified and listed in the “Request Details” section of the application. In addition, the fees must have been paid prior to any contact with grants management staff or an award (i.e., paid within 30 days of the end of the application period). Applicants may be required to provide documentation to support these preaward expenditures.
    Hiring a grant writer, or use of any other third party in preparing the application, does not eliminate the applicant’s responsibility for ensuring that information contained in the application is true and correct. Applicants who submit false information with their applications, or misrepresent their organizations in any material manner, will have their applications deemed ineligible by the AFG Program Office and referred to DHS OIG for further action, as appropriate.
    It's not a specific number, but those are the rules for hiring a grant writer if you want to include those fees in your grant request. I included the 2nd paragraph because too often there's a mistake that the grant writer made and the department didn't catch. If you're going to have the grant writer do the submitting, be sure to proofread the entire application before you allow submission.
    Believed by many to be the best-administered homeland security grant in the country, the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program provides an accessible competitive opportunity for fire departments and non-affiliated EMS agencies across the US to get funding for a wide range of operations and safety, vehicles, and regional communications projects.

Forum Member

In the past $500 for narrative only and $1000 for online entry plus narrative was the unofficial "reasonable" limit. Flat fees only too, not percentages of the project. Post-award administration is usually capped at 3% of the project but odds are wouldn't be unreasonable if it's a smaller project to be at the $500 or more range since those tend to be hourly estimates anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

I charge $500 for doing the entire grant. The departments that I usually write for are small and can't afford to pay very much. I stay in contact with the departments I write grants for and I have them review the entire grant before I submit it. I would look at the sucess rate for anyone you hire to write your grant. Also I wouldn't pay anyone more than $1000 to write your grant. There are to many people out there that would take advantage of a department just to make a buck, so becareful who you choose and make sure that you are involved in the entire process.

Forum Member

Depends on what they do also, if someone is going to come to meetings, travel, sit down at the station for face to face on everything, then time is money so it's reasonable to sometimes end up higher than $1000. I know a few that are but I look at more about is the person going to add value and write a proper and competitive application for someone. We charge $300 for individual apps but it's all done with us sitting wherever we're at and handling communications by phone and email. I know a lot of departments want on site so we recommend writers closer to them. I pass off people every year when that's what they want since I'm not going to wander far since our process proves it doesn't need to be done that way to work. So have plenty of others. I've had people think we're not any good because we don't charge enough, they're used to the private grant sector where it's 4 figures on the low side, or charging high percentages if funded. Doesn't have to be that way at all.

Thread Information