Forum Member

Default Newbie EMT question

Hey guys,
    I have been lurking around the forums for some time now and have gotten a ton of great information. Thank you!

Within the last 7 months or so I have been applying to different career departments and I am now beginning to see the fruits of my labors. I have my first written exam/physical test coming up April 26th. I wanted to ask you folks a question. When I applied for this particular department, it was September 2009. Since then I have completed my EMT Basic course. When would be an appropriate time to bring this up? Will I have a chance to update my application? (I have never tested before, so I'm not quite sure how it all goes down).

I have read all over the forums that advanced degrees in fire science, prior volunteer experience, etc. are the ticket to a department. I feel that my EMT cert would definately help me. I also took 2nd place in a local 5k, ran a half marathon, and then followed that with a full marathon 2 months later since I applied to this department. I would like to mention this to them as well, so they know I take my fitness seriously. Any advice on when a good time to bring this up would be? Thanks again all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Having completed your EMT will be a huge resume builder! When you go to take the physical and written exams you might mention your EMT but I wouldn't harp on it too much. Let your exam results on both the written and physical tests do all the talking. Concentrate on those and do your best and when you get called for an interview then would be a great time to mention the EMT. From past experience employers like to see you building your resume as much as possible so joining a volunteer department might not be a bad idea. Typically speaking volunteer departments see ten times more fire and get lots more experience than the career departments. I do both career and volunteer on my days off and I can promise you I see more and experience more on my volunteer department. Best of luck to you and hope my rambling was some help!

Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply East. I have been a volunteer for the last 2 years as well, but I was able to put that on my application. I will be honest - I am amazed by the competition to get on a career department. I'm readin stories of people trying for years and travelling/incurring huge expenses just to get a shot at having a badge. I am really hoping gathering the EMT basic on my own and my volunteer experience will show my dedication to the service and speak for my character. Seems like there are many other like minded folks way more qualified than me out there, but oh well I'll still give it my 110%. Thanks for the advice East, very much appreciated!

Forum Member

Jeepmike611

if part of submitting the application was to submit any education/ training/ certifications/ etc.

I would take a copy of of you emt cert to them today,

otherwise if they did not ask for it, Would wait till you test and see if you will be considered, then if you are asked to move to the next stage submit it that day

Forum Member

Best advice anyone could possibly give is to get your paramedic license. That license will open up a ton of doors for you. Good luck
    Last edited by luckymckay; 03-19-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks all! I would love to get my paramedic, but I have to log over 1,000 hours as an EMT Basic before I can apply. I'm pretty sure I will have to go through intermediate as well. I'm hoping I can get hired and then get my paramedic, but we shall see! I'm pumped about the tests coming up... several diff departments so maybe I'll get lucky!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepmike611 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have been lurking around the forums for some time now and have gotten a ton of great information. Thank you!

Within the last 7 months or so I have been applying to different career departments and I am now beginning to see the fruits of my labors. I have my first written exam/physical test coming up April 26th. I wanted to ask you folks a question. When I applied for this particular department, it was September 2009. Since then I have completed my EMT Basic course. When would be an appropriate time to bring this up? Will I have a chance to update my application? (I have never tested before, so I'm not quite sure how it all goes down).

I have read all over the forums that advanced degrees in fire science, prior volunteer experience, etc. are the ticket to a department. I feel that my EMT cert would definately help me. I also took 2nd place in a local 5k, ran a half marathon, and then followed that with a full marathon 2 months later since I applied to this department. I would like to mention this to them as well, so they know I take my fitness seriously. Any advice on when a good time to bring this up would be? Thanks again all.

Having various certifications may help you getting in some departments but not all. This may apply in the small career departments but not in the larger ones.

You couldn't take those cert's and drive to Memphis, let's say, and get hired right out of the box. You would have to compete against many guys who have some training and those who don't, for the chance to being hired and to wear their badge.

A lot of departments don't care what you have or what you have taken. They will train you to their standards, if you are hired by them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Having various certifications may help you getting in some departments but not all. This may apply in the small career departments but not in the larger ones.

You couldn't take those cert's and drive to Memphis, let's say, and get hired right out of the box. You would have to compete against many guys who have some training and those who don't, for the chance to being hired and to wear their badge.

A lot of departments don't care what you have or what you have taken. They will train you to their standards, if you are hired by them.
    One bonus with regards to this ^^^^^

If you do get onto a larger metro that requires EMT cert, while everyone is sitting in class doing the academic stuff, it's likely you'll get a valuable head start on practicals ( riding out, ER, etc... ). At least that's the way it worked for the few guys that were certified where I came on... Dirty b*st*rds out there doing work while we sat in the classroom...
    So it's win/win.

Thread Information