MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2009 safer 1199's are here

Today I received an 1199 update with a SAFER number and my questions. The grant is for 5 firefighters to bring our staffing from 3 to 4 on our engine company. I am very excited.

I do have one problem though. Since the time of my application we have experienced two layoffs. These positions were counted as part of our staffing in our original grant application. They ask about any additional layoffs in the questions and that we have to maintain the previous level if we accept. So do we have to hire two additional positions and fund them completly?

The twist to this story is at the time we staffed our own BLS ambulance, which has since been privatized. Bringing back these two positions would serve no purpose at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

What website did you go on to find this info? Thanks

Forum Member

are 1199s showing up like the afg in previous year awards? would the 1199 show up under a previous winning afg grant or does it only show up on a previous successfull safer grant?

Forum Member

It will show up, 99% of the time, under the same 1199A as your previous awards. (AFG, FP, SAFER, etc.)

Forum Member

Why isnt anyone else finding any 1199s for SAFER if they were moving?

Forum Member

I would appreciate any successful narratives that involve recruitment and retention. If you have TV ads or billboard photos, slogans, etc. that would be appreciated as well.

I have never attempted SAFER, but since they took a pile of AFG, why not. Should probably been doing it a lot sooner.

Who will be first, my email addy is jam24u@windstream.net

Forum Member

Found 4 hiring on our end, R&R won't start moving until the 2nd or 3rd wave of the 1199A releases starts. Since the program purpose is as close as one can get to 100% guaranteed minimum staffing the hiring outscores R&R be default. Think there will be plenty of R&R awards coming out also, hiring didn't get the apps it normally did because of the changes.

Forum Member

Talking

Received ours yesterday as well as the questionnaire for 4 firefighters. We learned yesterday at the workshop of the new waiver for FY10 SAFER to allow for loss of manning through attrition during the grant and still receive the federal funds. Just want to make sure it's not an option for 09 SAFER before we go forward with it. Nice to have an option if the economy tanks any further and our City has no other choice but attrition.

Forum Member

They stuck the hardship appeal in the 2009 so someone 'should' be able to win that argument if the need arises. I think they just wanted to make that documentation more obvious so no one was guessing and staying out of the application process because it wasn't an obvious possibility. Of course with a 3 year POP on new positions and 2 on rehires probably not going to be a large issue in most departments anyway.

Forum Member

Thanks Brian, good to know ahead of time! My very first SAFER app, pretty damn excited!

Forum Member

Congrats, forgot to say that the first time.

Forum Member

Another hiring one up that wasn't there this morning....

MembersZone Subscriber

Where are you guys finding this info? I've been waiting to see if Jersey City NJ FD gets their SAFER so they can finally start to hire. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Forum Member

Logging into the application, it's either an Update 1199A link in the dropdown for the current SAFER app, or on the older View 1199A links from prior apps.

They're real quick too, my email to the Chief arrived at the same time the questions did.

Thread Information