Forum Member

Talking New application period?

I looked but was unable to locate the thread, if there is one, I apologize in advance. Does anyone know when the new application period will be open for AFG?
    Last edited by LtJohns355; 03-16-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtJohns355 View Post
    I looked but was unable to locate the thread, if there is one, I apologize in advance. Does anyone know when the new application period will be open for AFG?
    Some very knowledgeable persons here with insider contacts say March 29th.

Others (like myself) are leaning towards April 15 or later, with the belief that certain events need to take place before the opening period can begin. Like Dear Johns.

Forum Member

Early April is what we were told in the AFG workshop yesterday

Forum Member

The last posted AFG workshop for my region (5) is April 15th. I would think that the application period would be some time after that.

Forum Member

Funny thing is, April 15th is almost upon us it or it will be very, very soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsvol View Post
    Early April is what we were told in the AFG workshop yesterday
    Well considering that they said that the first round of grants were supposed to go out "in early November".....I think that puts the app period at about July 1st.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm attending a workshop on Thursday....be interesting what the FPS will have to say about the application period.

Forum Member

Attended the workshop today and he said march 29th but he thinks they will probably push that back about 1 or 2 weeks by the time things are all said and done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face 1199a ?

I have got a reduction and a 2009 OPS showing under my 1199A. Does that mean I have a good chance of geeting an award? I sure would like to know so I can start working on my 2010 request. PLease help I am behind the game, oh and I have not gotten my 10?'s yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    I have got a reduction and a 2009 OPS showing under my 1199A. Does that mean I have a good chance of geeting an award? I sure would like to know so I can start working on my 2010 request. PLease help I am behind the game, oh and I have not gotten my 10?'s yet.
    You are in line for an award. Just need the 10 q's then the award announcement. Start working on your '10 request.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the post guys, also I just posted another quick thread in reference to the grant that we are seeking for 2010...... any input or oppinions would be greatly appreciated.
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Funny thing is, April 15th is almost upon us it or it will be very, very soon.
    Yea Jam; just wait until after April 15 and let me pay them. It should be enough to give out a good opp,s grant to somebody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Yea Jam; just wait until after April 15 and let me pay them. It should be enough to give out a good opp,s grant to somebody.
    Yeah, There is something I'm supposed to do on the 15th. Now what was that? Oh yeah!,,,,GROAN!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

March 29th, April 15th, I am going to take April 30th. And I am worried that may be too quick. Jam, starting another pool?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just returned from the workshop..here are some of the highlights.

2010 AFG

1) By the start of the application period all 2009 grants will know their fate; granted or not granted.

2) Application period tentative March 29-April 30....could be pushed up 1 or 2 weeks because the PG is still going through the approval process.

3) Age for vehicles 25+ years old.

4) Changes for 2010 AFG are minor:

A) Modification to Facilities has shifted priorities: fire alarms (1) & sprinklers (2).

B) Vehicle prepayments require an advanced payment bond.

2010 SAFER

The biggest change to SAFER is in hiring. There will be a waiver available to allow departments that lose personnel through attrition during the grant to continue with the grant without replacing those firefighters. The key is that there is a hiring freeze across the board for all municipal departments, not just the FD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post

2010 AFG

1) By the start of the application period all 2009 grants will know their fate; granted or not granted.

2) Application period tentative March 29-April 30....could be pushed up 1 or 2 weeks because the PG is still going through the approval process.

A) Modification to Facilities has shifted priorities: fire alarms (1) & sprinklers (2).

2010 SAFER

The biggest change to SAFER is in hiring. There will be a waiver available to allow departments that lose personnel through attrition during the grant to continue with the grant without replacing those firefighters. The key is that there is a hiring freeze across the board for all municipal departments, not just the FD.
    (what about grant writing fees?)

Forum Member

2010 AFG

2010 SAFER

So Bugle are you saying they won't approve a vehicle that is not 25+ years old?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    (what about grant writing fees?)
    Nothing mentioned about grant writer fees. Assuming there are no changes from 2009.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post
    So Bugle are you saying they won't approve a vehicle that is not 25+ years old?
    No, that they will recieve higher consideration.

Forum Member

No, that they will recieve higher consideration.
    Okay, thank you. So not really that much new information coming out of the workshops, other than want you have posted?

Forum Member

I don't see how they can make this in just a week or so. I would not expect the launch of the application period before the end of the month of April. Certainly that is just guessing, but I just don't seem them being able to do it any faster.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fortsutphen View Post
    Okay, thank you. So not really that much new information coming out of the workshops, other than want you have posted?
    Pretty much...there will be many changes for 2011 though (no details).

Probably one point to clarify. The question dealing with the % of firefighters meeting NFPA 1001. That info is not part of computer scoring, but anything under 100% needs to be addressed in the narrative on how it will be accomplished for PR.

So if you put in for XYZ and you have for ex. 20% of the firefighters meeting 1001, but you do not ask for training or address how it will be accomplished or that there is a current plan in place will hurt your score during PR.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cubachief502 View Post
    I don't see how they can make this in just a week or so. I would not expect the launch of the application period before the end of the month of April. Certainly that is just guessing, but I just don't seem them being able to do it any faster.
    Once the PG is posted the application period will open a week later. Most likely a one week delay tops according to the workshop (even though said up to 2).

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wanted to confirm that last years population ratios are still in effect. I knew there had been talk of reducing the 20 down to 10 %. (hope)
    less than 50k is 5% and greater than 50k is 20%

Forum Member

Talking

Pretty much...there will be many changes for 2011 though (no details).

Probably one point to clarify. The question dealing with the % of firefighters meeting NFPA 1001. That info is not part of computer scoring, but anything under 100% needs to be addressed in the narrative on how it will be accomplished for PR.

So if you put in for XYZ and you have for ex. 20% of the firefighters meeting 1001, but you do not ask for training or address how it will be accomplished or that there is a current plan in place will hurt your score during PR.
    Thanks again. I appreciate the info that provide on the forms. Nashville next year?

Thread Information