Forum Member

Default NFPA Guidelines For Continuing (Annual) Fire Training?

Can someone who is more familiar with NFPA than I tell me if there is a standard that covers what training should be conducted on a annual or biannual basis?
    We already poll our members to see what they want and use call breakdown as guides. Not to mention requirements for HAZMAT, Red Card, etc. Just wanting to know if there is a written standard somewhere. Perhaps something similar to the NR-EMT style of recertification.

Thank you,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

I think you also need to look at OSHA for requirements.....not just NFPA....

Forum Member

Good point. Aside from NFPA and OSHA, where else should I look? Where specifically in OSHA?
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

I'm thinking 1910 - I don't work with this usually, so I'm a bit rusty - my other half (who could tell me off hte bat) is still sleeping lol.......

In NYS there are requirements for annual training for career firefighters, for volunteers the only required training by law/standard is Haz-Mat first responder ops to comply with OSHA.....there are also requirements in NYS to keep some certifications by attending certain training.....that is usually set by the issuing authority of the certification (OFPC, Codes etc).

Also -you are asking 'should'...lol...that is a whole different story from required training - people should attend enough training to keep them proficient in the subject matter (and hopefully learn more).....

NFPA - 405, 472, 473, 1001, 1002, look in the 1000's....you should find info.....
    Last edited by pasobuff; 03-17-2010 at 06:39 AM.

Forum Member

Thank you pasobuff, I'll look into those when I get home.

You pointed out state requirements which is another problem, not all states have requirements. I also chose the word "should" for a specific reason because initially I was asking about NFPA requirements. There is no law that says you are required to follow NFPA guidelines. The compelling factor to follow them is 1) most (with exception) make sense, 2) they are created with input from members of the fire service to help us and 3) they are considered the standard that you will be held to if lawyers get involved.

I agree with training to remain proficient and to increase your knowledge base.

Thanks again.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

That depends on the state your in. NY for instance is an OSHA state. OSHA states are supposed to follow NFPA guidelines. As for your reasons to follow them, sort of.
    1 is correct. 2 Should read they are written by people with a vested interest is making money by selling more equipment. Take a look at the majority of the people on the committees.
    3 is the real primary reason they are followed.

Forum Member

While Nebraska is not a OSHA state they do follow the guidelines of OSHA therefor they still apply.

I will agree with you in part Doorbreaker about vendors being on the committee's. I know for example in regards to apparatus that the committee is composed of 1/3 fire service representatives, 1/3 manufacturing representatives and 1/3 experts that may have previously been in one of the other two categories. If the committee loses on fire service rep they lose one manufacture and one expert to keep the balance even.

Aside from apparatus and PPE/SCBA I don't see where vendors would have a huge interest.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doorbreaker View Post
    That depends on the state your in. NY for instance is an OSHA state. OSHA states are supposed to follow NFPA guidelines. As for your reasons to follow them, sort of.
    1 is correct. 2 Should read they are written by people with a vested interest is making money by selling more equipment. Take a look at the majority of the people on the committees.
    3 is the real primary reason they are followed.
    DB - where is my money then? ..... yes the committes do consist of business interests, but they do try to balance that out with private sector and other interested parties.....for example, the committe I currently sit on - I am an individual (pay my OWN way) - we have sprinkler reps, pipefitters, insurance, private - a whole mix of people. Same thing with the one my father is on - he is his own company - no money made off anything.....

Come on over and join one if you feel left out!! Seriously.....#3 is correct in this sue-happy world.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFWALT View Post

Aside from apparatus and PPE/SCBA I don't see where vendors would have a huge interest.
    You might be surprised!.......installers, manufacturers, insurance companies...one thing a Standard usually will not do is specify a brand - but it will specify what the specs are that have to be met.....etc etc.....so if a company has a say in what the specs are, they ~could~ potentially have an advantage over another company.

Forum Member

Show me one of the groups on that committee who doesn't have a vested interest in the outcome. Sprinkler reps (who sell sprinklers for a living) Pipefitters (who install the NEW pipes required for the sprinklers) Insurance reps (who increase the premiums in the event those new sprinklers are not included) Private contractors (who build the homes with the new sprinklers)

Why is it I don't see the NFPA having standards set by actual Fire Fighters?
    You know the ones who actually have experience in fighting actual fires. And I don't mean the token 3-4 they have on the groups.

Take the latest PPE requirements. I see a LOT of the folks who make the fabric, cut and assemble it and sell the final product. What I don't see is the folks who USE the final PPE, you know the poor saps who actually wear the gear.
    There is NO POSSIBLE way that a group made up of the folks who all have a vested interest in making, selling and repairing PPE should also be the ones making the standards they will adhere to. That method is like saying that State prisoners should be the ones who determine how the guards should be paid and trained.

Thread Information