Forum Member

Default Excess funds error in closeout

I was working on our closeout report and noticed what I guess is an error. The SF-425 form is stating that we have leftover money that needs to be returned. However, when I go into the grant management portion all monies have been accounted for and my balance is $0. I have placed a call into our regional rep but was curious as to whether anyone else noticed anything like this.

We did have excess funds that was all taken care of within the scope of the guidlelines. The last payment was requested and and accepted by FEMA prior to the end of our grant period. I would really like to close this out before I get busy at work and forget. Don't feel we need to send a check back if we expended all funds and the remaining amount they say we have matches nothing that I submitted.

Thanks,
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mgreco View Post
    I was working on our closeout report and noticed what I guess is an error. The SF-425 form is stating that we have leftover money that needs to be returned. However, when I go into the grant management portion all monies have been accounted for and my balance is $0. I have placed a call into our regional rep but was curious as to whether anyone else noticed anything like this.

We did have excess funds that was all taken care of within the scope of the guidlelines. The last payment was requested and and accepted by FEMA prior to the end of our grant period. I would really like to close this out before I get busy at work and forget. Don't feel we need to send a check back if we expended all funds and the remaining amount they say we have matches nothing that I submitted.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Had the same issue when I submitted ours a couple of months ago. The GMS said to file it with the errors, since it was a computer glitch, and if need be someone would contact us for clarification.

Since that time the computer has been updated, but our financial form now shows that we expended more than our required amount. It shows 5% of the total amount that was expended on the project (federal & department share + the extra we kicked in).

Forum Member

I just got a call back from the regional rep and she said that the system is still broke and to check back. Evidently when they fixed something the last time it screwed something else up. She said to keep checking back, usually on mondays and that this will not prohibit any future awards or applications. To paraphrase her words " to make a long story short, it's broke and keep checking". She said they are hearing it to be fixed come May, reason being they don't want to screw something up by trying to fix it during the next application period.

On another note, she said the 2010 period should open end of March/early April but had no idea when denial letters will be going out.

She seems like a nice girl, I can imagine she is getting bombarded with these types of phone calls.

Mike

Forum Member

Default 50 cents leftover!

Waited for the portal to finally become active again, entered all 19 air paks seperately (each was over the $5000 threshold), think I'm finished, and then I can't go beyond the SF-425 form because it says there is 50 cents left unspent in the federal portion. Called the help desk, they transfered me over to the financial help people, which the wait was over 5 minutes, but I'll wait for the next available guru rather than leave my number and hope for a call back. Well, the system forced me into leaving a message. Guess what, no call today, so I call back the help desk and now they say there is a new glitch, quite a few depts now ending up with the 50 cent error, just keep checking every couple days for it to be cleared up.

Forum Member

They're not glitches, they're undocumented features....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    They're not glitches, they're undocumented features....
    Ah yes, a true ex-IT perspective. Nice one.
    My real life outfits system experiences those weekly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mgreco View Post

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yep, same thing happened to me. Somehow it showed up that after I had completed the closeout months ago, a new email saying I had to finish closing out again. all I had to do was hit submit again. everything was accounted for and I thought it was strange. Now I dont feel so bad after all.

Thread Information