MembersZone Subscriber

Default Would you hire me?

Hey, just trying to see how my resume would appear to hiring departments.

I'm 32 years old
    I have FF II (In Illinois, not IFSAC)
    EMT-Intermediate/85 level
    Bachelors degree in Management and Leadership.
    About 1/2 years experience in firefighting and in the private ambulance business.

I'm open to hearing suggestions, things I can do to improve my resume. Thanks.

Forum Member

Hiring in Virginia depend on the person, submitting an application correctly, with no bad records, background, and if selected, passing any and all pre employment testing and getting through an interview and passing a complete medical profile exam and a psyche test.

Your certification and educations are a plus once you get to the interview and review by the chief of department, but not necessary to have this.

We are going to teach you what we want you to know and by the department training guidelines as well at the Commonwealth of Virginia guidelines. You would have to take the complete rookie training program.

Maryland work very close to the same as we.

Forum Member

Resume doesn't play a part in the hiring process until after you take the written/physical test. Score as high as you can on that part, then the resume will be important.

Otherwise, yeah, you seem like a valid candidate.

Pete

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaybo77 View Post

I'm 32 years old
    About 1/2 years experience in firefighting and in the private ambulance business.

And what else have you done with your life since you graduated high school?

Forum Member

If I were hiring you for a small department to go right into the station, the answer would be no.

-No IFSAC certifications.
    -No Driver/Operator training (that you posted.)
    -No Fire Inspector training (that you posted.) I would want minumum of Fire Inspector I, if not II.
    -Not enough experience.

If I were hiring you for a big city or other organization that mandates you attend an in-house Fire Training School and then a required 1-year probation period, sure, as long as you pass all the prerequisite Civil Service tests and requirements.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If I were hiring you for a small department to go right into the station, the answer would be no.

-No IFSAC certifications.
    -No Driver/Operator training (that you posted.)
    -No Fire Inspector training (that you posted.) I would want minumum of Fire Inspector I, if not II.
    -Not enough experience.

If I were hiring you for a big city or other organization that mandates you attend an in-house Fire Training School and then a required 1-year probation period, sure, as long as you pass all the prerequisite Civil Service tests and requirements.

Im curious how anyone new is supposed to have ANY chance at all of getting in the FF career field. -Not enough experience. How is one supposed to accrue experience if everyone is requiring experience?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird92 View Post
    Im curious how anyone new is supposed to have ANY chance at all of getting in the FF career field. -Not enough experience. How is one supposed to accrue experience if everyone is requiring experience?
    Realistically, if you don't have a criminal record, there's no reason not to hire a person with your credentials if there's a position available. Driving and other training can be done at another time. Not everyone drives.

Forum Member

As Jonnee has said, He would have to compete with all the other trying to get their foot in the door and for one of the jobs being filled.

Having all those degrees is nice, I have some which I earned after I came on the job, but it don't mean a tinkers damn in the Mid Atlantic, Virginia and Maryland when trying to be hired by a career department. You are still going to take the complete recruit course and pass it. His EMS will help in the EMS portion of the class and if he had any basic firefighting knowledge and skills that will help him to.

Remember, the certifications earned in other states may not be excepted here. I have seen guys come out of other states with a folder full of certifications from firefighter 1 up to office 2 or 3 and those in between. If they got hired, they had to take the complete course by the department and certified by the Virginia standards. Some had trouble with some of the work as when they were "certified" they were taught the test and not everything in the manual!!! In other words they were lost real quick. They had trouble with the simple tasks of knot tying, throwing ladders, hose deployment and rolling.

If he had any background problems, such as a police record, bad driving, bad credit, that would be the first eliminator!

Also he doesn't say anything about what he has been working in and doing since high school!!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-18-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaybo77 View Post

I'm 32 years old

Those credentials should give you a leg up on the guy with a high school diploma. The degree makes you excellent candidate for the leadership (LT, Capt) and management (Chiefs) positions. You would also be an instant asset to any chief to assist in the management of the department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Those credentials should give you a leg up on the guy with a high school diploma. The degree makes you excellent candidate for the leadership (LT, Capt) and management (Chiefs) positions. You would also be an instant asset to any chief to assist in the management of the department.
    If any post has ever shown that you are clueless, this one certainly does.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If any post has ever shown that you are clueless, this one certainly does.

Bricks are smarter than the crow.

He doesn't understand civil service at all. Let alone cities and counties who care less what type of cert's you may have, if you get hired, you going to do the complete recruit program [20-26 weeks] and past everything, or you can tek your certs and go back from where you came from.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA!

Oh wait, you were attempting to be serious. Another post that proves that you haven't got one single clue at all about the career fire service. No entry level recruit will ever be an officer, or management, or an instant asset to the chief in management of the fire department. They will be too damn busy learning the ropes in their new position. If they don't they will never make it past probabtion and believe me some don't and when you get fired during probation you have not one single bit of Union protection or recourse. You are done and gone.

Please try and find a topic you know something about, like screwing off on the tax dollar's time in your contract job, because talking about the fire service, especially the paid fire service, just makes you look stupid.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Wrong on the leg up.......
    Wrong on the candidate for leadership.....
    Really wrong on the instant asset....

I sit on a number of oral boards for different agencies (including my own). The cross talk of what officers and agencies are looking for is as varied as the number of poor answers handed out by Scarecrow.

I know officers that don't like to hire college grads. Their feeling is that college grads have a tendancy of getting bored within the mundane activities of cleaning toilets, waxing rigs, and routine daily inspections.

I know a number of college grads that couldn't lead water down a river bed, let alone personnel, and ultimately I have fired some college grads.

Hiring college or high school grads is not the question.....the question is: do you have strong probation period with daily, weekly, and monthly evaluations. Are the new hires meeting the department's needs, and are you meeting the new hires needs.

My suggestion to you Shwaybo is to find and complete an accredited academy. Stay active with your current agency. Find a mentor in a local fire agency that is willing give you advice on your career decisions.

When you're testing with an agency, stop by a station at lunch time (bring ice cream) and get a feel of of the agency. If you make the oral boards, do one or two ride-alongs, and provide dinner. Once the crews know that your just steps away from getting hired, you won't be able to get them to shut up. You would be amazed how many times a crew will e-mail me with "You gotta hire this guy," or, "this guy is iffy."

Good luck....

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Bricks are smarter than the crow.

He doesn't understand civil service at all. Let alone cities and counties who care less what type of cert's you may have, if you get hired, you going to do the complete recruit program [20-26 weeks] and past everything, or you can tek your certs and go back from where you came from.
    I understand CS very well. They write simplistic test so everyone gets 100. Except in my case where I get 105 because of a veterans benefit. They then create a list and who gets hired is based not on what you know but who you __________.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firegod343 View Post
    Wrong on the leg up.......
    Wrong on the candidate for leadership.....
    Really wrong on the instant asset....

I sit on a number of oral boards for different agencies (including my own). The cross talk of what officers and agencies are looking for is as varied as the number of poor answers handed out by Scarecrow.

I know officers that don't like to hire college grads. Their feeling is that college grads have a tendancy of getting bored within the mundane activities of cleaning toilets, waxing rigs, and routine daily inspections.

I know a number of college grads that couldn't lead water down a river bed, let alone personnel, and ultimately I have fired some college grads.

Hiring college or high school grads is not the question.....the question is: do you have strong probation period with daily, weekly, and monthly evaluations. Are the new hires meeting the department's needs, and are you meeting the new hires needs.

My suggestion to you Shwaybo is to find and complete an accredited academy. Stay active with your current agency. Find a mentor in a local fire agency that is willing give you advice on your career decisions.

When you're testing with an agency, stop by a station at lunch time (bring ice cream) and get a feel of of the agency. If you make the oral boards, do one or two ride-alongs, and provide dinner. Once the crews know that your just steps away from getting hired, you won't be able to get them to shut up. You would be amazed how many times a crew will e-mail me with "You gotta hire this guy," or, "this guy is iffy."

Good luck....

FG

Education is a valuable asset, the uneducated will argue that it isn't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone can make that blanket statement, and be correct. It's a well known cliche.

how about you answer my questions regarding basic firefighting knowledge, post # 412 on this thread:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...113757&page=21 (Does the EMS have a gruge against FFs?)

You can't even answer the most basic questions regarding FF knowledge. That means that any "advice" or opinions you give to aspiring firefighters is being misrepresented as coming from someone who speaks from experience. It's one thing to troll just for entertainment value, but quite another to pass on misinformation to those seeking advice about the profession. We'll keep jumping on you so that someone doesn't take your advice as gospel and do something foolish.

Post # 412, that thing with the heat, fuel, and O2. What was that again?

Forum Member

I understand CS very well. They write simplistic test so everyone gets 100. Except in my case where I get 105 because of a veterans benefit. They then create a list and who gets hired is based not on what you know but who you __________.
    Seriously, you are so damn out of touch as to be completely laughable.

Every single post you make about the career fire service shows how ignorant, foolish, bitter, and jealous you are. Pathetic, simply, clearly, pathetic is all you are.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said as advocating less education. I was addressing the misleading information you had provided to the OP. I have worked for, and currently supervise, great officers who only have a high school education. I also work with a number of great officers with two and four year degrees. A college education will improve everybody however, that is a baseline measurement. An idiot with a college education is still an idiot. Hope that doesn't hit too close to home.

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Forum Member

Not everyone get a 100 on a CS test. I doubt if you did either.

The exams are not that hard, but are not written, as you say, so evreryone get a perfect score!

Before you type, get you facts right! You make yourself look very silly!
    Last edited by Jonnee; 03-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

That point is totally irrelevant to the fact that you are so out of touch with civil service hiring that you actually believe what you originally posted.

I see firefighters being more and more educated every year. But even a Phd doesn't get you from probationary firefighter to the office of the chief in the time frame you imagine to be realistic. Not that you would know or understand that since you have never been a career firefighter. You don't make officer in the career world by being voted in by your peers. It takes testing to get those positions.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    That point is totally irrelevant to the fact that you are so out of touch with civil service hiring that you actually believe what you originally posted.

I see firefighters being more and more educated every year. But even a Phd doesn't get you from probationary firefighter to the office of the chief in the time frame you imagine to be realistic. Not that you would know or understand that since you have never been a career firefighter. You don't make officer in the career world by being voted in by your peers. It takes testing to get those positions.
    After you have been on the job for a certain amount of years before you can even test for a position.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firegod343 View Post
    I'm not sure how you interpreted what I said as advocating less education. I was addressing the misleading information you had provided to the OP. I have worked for, and currently supervise, great officers who only have a high school education. I also work with a number of great officers with two and four year degrees. A college education will improve everybody however, that is a baseline measurement. An idiot with a college education is still an idiot. Hope that doesn't hit too close to home.

FG
    What I mean is that I have heard people without the education, degrees, or certifications say things like "Those aren't necessary" and "You don't need that to do this job". I will give a real world example. My employer wants all of their security consultants to obtain the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP ). A group of 6 of us studied for the exam and 3 of us passed (which is slightly better than the world wide average). Immediately, those who failed the exam started saying things like the cert isn't necessary for this job and it doesn't really mean anything.

That is what I mean. Those who don't have the education or can't get it will minimize the values to make themselves appear better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    After you have been on the job for a certain amount of years before you can even test for a position.
    Yea, see in the professional world for the federal government we don't take CS exams. We get jobs and promotions based on performance and skills. I took two CS exams for local IT jobs. I was at the top of the list with 105 score. Problem was most of the jobs had been pre-selected and they were just going through the motions.

Forum Member

Default what type of dept?

im a captain in a rural town. with that resume penidng background check,yes we would hire you. in a city fire dept. you have to pass tests,and interview boards. for everyone else a degree means nothing in the fire service. you have to have real world knowledge and training. its funny how rural guys bash city guys, and visa versa. funny thing is in some cases neither could do each others job if we switched. i have no idea on how to run an aerial. and SOME city guys would have no clue on how to get a water point established or fight a forest fire. truth is we all wann be firefighters, most of us in city/career depts.

Thread Information