Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Pressure Governor

We are in the process of purchasing a new tanker. We are trying to decide on what pressure governor to use. Does anyone have any experience with the Class 1 Total Pressure Governor Plus and or the FRC In Control TGA 300?

Forum Member

We have 5 of the FRC In Control 300s on our lastest trucks, 4 Pumpers with DD,S60 and a Tanker with a C15 Cat, The Governors have worked very well for us

Forum Member

We are happy with our FRC Pump Boss. Sorry, but I can't comment on the Class 1 as I have no experience with it.

I have friends in other departments who are satisfied with later DDEC governors. However, I believe that they are only available on Detroit Diesel engines.

Forum Member

We have only used the DDEC pressure governor over the years. No issues with them.

Forum Member

To answer you question: Not had a great experience with Class 1.

We purchased our first AND LAST pressure governor on a 2001 Pierce. Class 1 made the governor and printed a Pierce label on it. Nothing but trouble since it arrived. Has had multiple software upgrades, a total control head swap out, ect.

Its most recent misbehavior intermittently showing an "Interlink or Interlock" fault code. When it happens, you are dead in the water.

The runaway throttle is also when it sets is also a point of contention.

While we may have just gotten a bad unit, our department has had a "gut full" of this technology. I sure hope everyone else has had the better results than us.

We elected to return to mechanically controlled relief valves and use the FRC Infinity Pro throttle control. No problems with this set up.

C6

Forum Member

FRC Pump Boss PBA400 is my choice. Pretty sweet.

The In Control is more expensive and really not worth it unless you plan on eliminating the traditional master intake and discharge gauges.

We have two FRC InControl units. In my opinion, the only issues we've had with them have been operator error. While some of those engineers beg to differ, I can never duplicate the claimed "problem" they have happen...

I'd probably do a Pump Boss if I could pick, but the engine on order also has an InControl, simply because all three pumpers will then have the same interface...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Class 1 made the DEDEC governor for years as a private label item. Don't know if they still are.

MembersZone Subscriber

Class 1 Captain. No problems or issues not directly related to operator training or headspace.

Going back to "legacy" equipment would not resolve or reduce such "issues".

Forum Member

Thanks! We've used the DDEC governors as well, but not sure that we are going with it on this truck. Our other governor is the Pierce generic. Always nice to have as much info as posible. Much appreciateed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Old thread (hope the webteam doesn't mind), but where I currently work, the newer apparatus have the FRC pressure Governor's. Nothing wrong with them, but does anyone else have this issue: turning the throttle CLOCKWISE to go up??

I grew up using many different type of pressure governor's, and EVERY ONE of them were Counter-Clockwise to throttle up. I forget almost every time that the FRC is bass-ackwards and have to ponder for moment or 2 before remembering.

Am I the only one with this issue, or is everyone as slow as me?? (FWD, shut it!!!)
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Old thread (hope the webteam doesn't mind), but where I currently work, the newer apparatus have the FRC pressure Governor's. Nothing wrong with them, but does anyone else have this issue: turning the throttle CLOCKWISE to go up??

I grew up using many different type of pressure governor's, and EVERY ONE of them were Counter-Clockwise to throttle up. I forget almost every time that the FRC is bass-ackwards and have to ponder for moment or 2 before remembering.

Am I the only one with this issue, or is everyone as slow as me?? (FWD, shut it!!!)
    Our new Squad's FRC pump throttle also turns clockwise to increase throttle and while it's backwards from the way we all are used to, it goes in the logical direction as you turn the throttle the needle follows.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post

Haha! No. I have the very same issue (one of many, LOL)

I have often wondered why FRC didn't reverse it in the first place. It was later suggested that Gen-Xer's and such had much influence by way of video games. Us old guys just have to adapt!

I would not hesitate to recommend the Pump Boss. Has been a reliable unit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 52shelby View Post
    Haha! No. I have the very same issue (one of many, LOL)

I have often wondered why FRC didn't reverse it in the first place. It was later suggested that Gen-Xer's and such had much influence by way of video games. Us old guys just have to adapt!

I would not hesitate to recommend the Pump Boss. Has been a reliable unit for us.
    Check your manual. A lot of this stuff is user programmable(once you knoe how) IT may be that you can program the control to advance the throttle in EITHER direction T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-15-2010 at 08:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Check your manual. A lot of this stuff is user programmable(once you knoe how) IT may BE THAT YOU CAN PROGRAM IT TO ADVANCE THE THROTTLE IN either DIRECTION. T.C.
    When all else fails, read the manual, BUT ONLY as a last resort. And I don't stop and ask directions, nor do I use GPS

MembersZone Subscriber

Check your manual. A lot of this stuff is user programmable(once you knoe how) IT may BE THAT YOU CAN PROGRAM IT TO ADVANCE THE THROTTLE IN either DIRECTION. T.C.
    You could just mount it upside down or from the backside on the panel...

I've questioned FRC about the rotation direction for increasing the throttle. If it was a parameter that could be changed, they didn't indicate that fact.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    When all else fails, read the manual, BUT ONLY as a last resort. And I don't stop and ask directions, nor do I use GPS
    I thought Step #1 was always to "throw away instructions?"

C6

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I've questioned FRC about the rotation direction for increasing the throttle. If it was a parameter that could be changed, they didn't indicate that fact.
    Not saying it CAN. But I made a few interesting discoveries about "adjusting"some of the electronic controls on our Ladder. Quite EASY once you learn how. T.c.

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    I thought Step #1 was always to "throw away instructions?"

C6
    That's step TWO,right after losing stuff out of the Box,hehe T.c.

Thread Information