Forum Member

Question 2010 AFG Filling station question Brian, ken....

Last year our fire department was awarded with an $82,000 grant for new SCBA. These replaced units that were extremely old and outdated. Here is the catch, the year prior to getting the grant, I wrote a grant for the SCBA AND the filling station. When we got our dear John letter, I decided for 2008 that I would write a grant for only the SCBA and try to get the filling station at a later date. Well it must have worked, because we did get the grant, first one in a very long time.

THE QUESTION IS: How good are my chances of getting an award back to back regarding the same type of item? ie.... SCBA one year and Filling Station the next?

I had a very good platform to go on when writing the grant for the SCBA, I focused on NFPA (our equipment was far to old and did not have proper RIT connections) and also on interoperability(we were the last department in our county to go to high pressure air packs)

This year my I'm not sure how to word my narrative other than the usual, we need it and we are broke.... Should I keep all of the information from last years narrative and just add that we now need a filling station or start over?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR THE REPLIES.
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes you can do it we did.
    First year was for SCBA's and cassade system- 2nd year fill station and TIC and last year was awarded a compressor.

Do you have a cassade system now ? how far do you need to travel to fill SCBA or Cassade cylinders when empty ? Fill station is a major safety issue.
    Do you transport cylinders loosely in back off a pickup to refill ?

Forum Member

Since they're related they'll play off of each other. Been done many a time that way especially if someone isn't going to be as competitive for both at the same time based on the numbers. Better to have single shot apps to keep them tight and scoring as high as possible on both computer and peer.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can use NFPA standards to your advantage on this project as well.

NFPA 1500 7.14.3...In service SCBA cylinders shall be fully charged.

NFPA 1852 7.3.4.....cylinders shall be filled as soon as possible sfter use.

NFPA 1404...meeting the training requirements for respiratory protection.

The premise of your narrative will revolve around a few topics.

1) How far away is the nearest cascade system.

2) How long to get the cylinders filled and returned to service.

3) How accessable is the cascade system when needed. ex. Is it available at 3 AM from another voulunteer department that may not have been involved with the incident.

4) Is training on SCBA skills at a minimum or non-existent because of filling cylinders is lacking.

5) Are cylinders left in service with less than full capacity and for how long. Ex. need 6 before heading off to another department for refilling because of some of the same issues as above.

Just some ideas to ponder.

MembersZone Subscriber

You should be able to make it work. I did that for our department.

Talk about the following

1. how far do you have to travel now to refill
    2. If it is a distance do you ever have empty bottles overnight?
    3. Can you easily train on air with your SCBA without one and be able to refill bottles?
    4. Talk about running a test so you can see how long each member can be on air and the importance of knowing.
    5. Being able to train all the time on air and refill bottles without having to travel or have them setting around overnight empty.

Forum Member

Bryan, should I keep the original narrative and add to it, or just keep it short. The original narrative had a lot of good background information, but most of that was geared toward SCBA not a filling station. I think I have a few ideas from the other posts on how to write a new narrative....

Thank you for all the replies
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

40% of the other one is the same minus some number updates. Introduction and Financials normally don't change that much in a year.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll take it one step farther...two years ago we recieved a grant for new SCBA and RIT pack. last year, we recieved a grant for a new compressor, fill station, and TIC. We have some ideas about the 2010 AFG, but is there soemthing we can "build" on top of the previous years grants?

Forum Member

Talking

I working on a mobile fill station also. I'm wondering if anyone has a narrative that was successful in this project. Also, if you have a mobile cascade system what make is it and how has the service been for you. Also, can you get one of the enclosed trailers and also make it a rehab trailer also. Serve 2 purposes instead of one. Thanks! Be safe!

crddl@comcast.net

Thread Information