Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What are the chances????

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. --

A father of two in town on business was jogging on the beach and listening to his iPod when he was hit from behind and killed by a small plane making an emergency landing, officials said Tuesday.

Robert Gary Jones, 38, of Woodstock, Ga., died instantly Monday evening when he was hit by the single-engine plane, which had lost its propeller, said Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen. The pilot's vision was blocked by oil on the windshield.

The coroner said Jones apparently did not see or hear the plane, which was "basically gliding."

His mother, Pauline Jones, said Tuesday that he was in Hilton Head for work but was supposed to fly home to suburban Atlanta on Wednesday for his daughter's third birthday.

Her son was often out of town for his job with pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline, where he had been a salesman since 1997.

"Any time he traveled, I would worry myself to death about him," said his mother, who lives outside Tampa, Fla., where he grew up. "I'd call and say, 'Where are you, where are you?'"

Federal Aviation Administration records show the experimental Lancair IV-P plane that hit Robert Jones was registered to Edward I. Smith of Chesapeake, Va.

Smith was on the beach with his plane Tuesday and confirmed he was the pilot. He said he did not want to talk about the crash and offered few details.

"I've got a lot of issues going on right now. I've got a plane that's all torn up. And I've got a young man that I killed," he said.

Authorities said there was also a passenger on board but did not identify him or her.

The plane started leaking oil at about 13,000 feet and tried originally to make it to Hilton Head Airport, said fire and rescue spokeswoman Joheida Fister.

The oil on the windshield blocked Smith's vision and he told authorities the propeller came off. When he tried to land on the beach near the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa, the plane hit Jones and came to rest a little farther down the beach, Fister said.

The plane was still on the beach Tuesday afternoon. Waves lapped against it and the tail was attached to an anchor with a rope so the tide wouldn't pull it out to sea. The waves had washed away any sign of it skidding across the sand.

Yellow crime scene tape stretched from the water to the dunes to keep people away. Tourists walked up to the tape, gawking and snapping pictures. Other than the missing propeller, the plane appeared undamaged.

The plane left Orlando, Fla., at 4:45 p.m. and was headed for Virginia, Fister said. The four-seater plane has a turbine engine, can be built from a kit and can fly up to 370 mph, according to the Lancair Web site. The IV-P model has a pressurized cabin.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board were investigating, Fister said.

An FAA spokeswoman referred inquiries to the NTSB.

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

It was a freak accident (how many times have you heard a propeller coming off of an aircraft?)... and the NTSB and FAA will have a complete report out within a reasonable period of time.

Our condolences go out to the family of Robert G. Jones.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    It was a freak accident (how many times have you heard a propeller coming off of an aircraft?)... and the NTSB and FAA will have a complete report out within a reasonable period of time.

Our condolences go out to the family of Robert G. Jones.
    True enough there Capt. Having worked in the industry when I was in high school, about only one of two reasons for a "failure" like that:

1) he struck something (the ground?) with the prop, which would cause a mounting failure - and most likely the reason; or

2) during the previous maintenance review there was work done to the engine assembly and the mech did not secure the propellor bolts with the proper lock-wire procedures.

In any case, as LA said, what are the chances? Wrong time, wrong place and very unfortunate.

My condolences to the families involved, because it won't be easy for either one to understand how/why this happened.

A 23-year-old Kenyan man was crushed and killed and three others died after a helicopter crashed in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada on May 13. All on board the helicopter, two passengers and the pilot of the helicopter, were also killed.

Considered a freak accident, the attention was not centered around the crash or those killed in it, but whether or not the volume on the iPod the 23-year-old pedestrian was allegedly listening to was too loud.

Isaiah Otieno, a student at the College of the Rockies arrived in Canada two years ago and was the son of Dalmas Otieno, Kenya's Minister of State for Public Service. He was walking down the street to retrieve his mail when the Bell 206 helicopter crashed on top of him, crushed him, then dragged his body along the pavement, with the helicopter bursting into flames. The helicopter pilot was unable to maintain altitude when it crashed, killing Otieno and those inside the helicopter, instantly. The cause of the crash is not known and is still being investigated, but media outlets such as The Globe and Mail criticized the boy for wearing headphones and having the volume turned up too high, which allegedly caused him not to hear the aircraft falling from the sky
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

The Globe and Mail criticized the boy for wearing headphones and having the volume turned up too high, which allegedly caused him not to hear the aircraft falling from the sky

As a small child, I can clearly remember my mommy telling me to keep the volume on my headphones down so that I'll be able to hear helicopters as they are about to crash on top of me. She also told me to always wear clean underwear so that if a helicopter should crash on top of me and I have to go to the hospital ..........

Really.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by SFD13 View Post
    A 23-year-old Kenyan man was crushed and killed and three others died after a helicopter crashed in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada on May 13. All on board the helicopter, two passengers and the pilot of the helicopter, were also killed.

Considered a freak accident, the attention was not centered around the crash or those killed in it, but whether or not the volume on the iPod the 23-year-old pedestrian was allegedly listening to was too loud.

Isaiah Otieno, a student at the College of the Rockies arrived in Canada two years ago and was the son of Dalmas Otieno, Kenya's Minister of State for Public Service. He was walking down the street to retrieve his mail when the Bell 206 helicopter crashed on top of him, crushed him, then dragged his body along the pavement, with the helicopter bursting into flames. The helicopter pilot was unable to maintain altitude when it crashed, killing Otieno and those inside the helicopter, instantly. The cause of the crash is not known and is still being investigated, but media outlets such as The Globe and Mail criticized the boy for wearing headphones and having the volume turned up too high, which allegedly caused him not to hear the aircraft falling from the sky

I remember this case. It was about what? Two years ago? From the original reports, I dont think anyone would have realized the helo was coming down, until it was too late anyway. "Hearing" it would not have signified thats its going to fall on your head.

Thread Information