MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grant writing cost.

Question for Brian, SLY and others that write a lot of grants. I was reading where Jam got his grant writing fee cut or zeroed out. Doesn’t the applicant have to pay you regardless if you get the grant or not? I thought I read that somewhere. Just wondering how that worked. The people that sign my check thinks that you just throw you name in a hat and AFG picks your department that way. They don’t have a clue of the amount of time you put in an application and the obligations that you have to follow up on. Lot of late nights but you all know that. Thanks

Forum Member

Ken,

The reason why my grant writing fees were denied, was because my secretry/treasurer, then president of the board forgot to write the checks out when I asked them to. When I went to collect them the time period that for grant writing fees had passed. The whole intent was to donate the fees back to the department anyway, with the idea that it would help cover grants class expenses. Long story each one was having a surgery so when I went to pick them up they had the current and wrong date on them. In case of an audit, I did not want them to past date the checks and instead cashed them and donated them back to the department. I sent an email to AFG informing them of what had happend and since I had donated the checks back to my department, would they still consider awarding the grant writers fee.

They said no!

I've been way too honest with AFG lately and learned that I cannot trust my department to remember anything I tell them. If I say I have to have checks or anything done by a certain time, I make them do it then and not wait till its convenient for them anymore. Cost us $1,500. $1,500 I planned to use for Tampas Summit.

That is why my grant fees were denied. I intend to include them again this year if 2010 allows it that is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dfd701 View Post
    Question for Brian, SLY and others that write a lot of grants. I was reading where Jam got his grant writing fee cut or zeroed out. Doesn’t the applicant have to pay you regardless if you get the grant or not? I thought I read that somewhere. Just wondering how that worked. The people that sign my check thinks that you just throw you name in a hat and AFG picks your department that way. They don’t have a clue of the amount of time you put in an application and the obligations that you have to follow up on. Lot of late nights but you all know that. Thanks
    From the PG:

Grant Writer Fees: Fees for grant writers may be included as a preaward or pre-application expenditure. Fees payable on a contingency basis are not an eligible expense. For grant writer fees to be eligible as a preaward expenditure, the fees must be specifically identified and listed in the “Request Details” section of the application. In addition, the fees must have been paid prior to any contact with grants management staff or an award (i.e., paid within 30 days of the end of the application period). Applicants may be required to provide documentation to support these preaward expenditures.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    From the PG:
    I got it now. THANKS

Forum Member

I thought you couldnt charge grant writing fees if you belonged to the department you were writing for either????

Thread Information