Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Yes wonderful food (g) but it did beat my having either kool aid or reconstituted Strawberry milk for cereal that I had for an IO deployment in 80.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post
    Do not quote you due to lack of research??? OOPS!! THERE GOES YOUR CREDIBILITY...
    I love that the forums haven't changed!! Greatest soap opera ever!!!!

Outdispiece....Monkeys forever fella...
    that is so true. I love that even after all these years, its the same BS, with a couple of the same names. haha.

and just remember, firefighters, no matter who or where you work:
    we get paid for what we KNOW, not what we DO. haha

Forum Member

so, back to the topic at hand. When exactly are we suppose to get this pay out? And does anyone know the Taxing on it 27% or what?

Pete,

My accountant told me 15% of the award, if any, is due to the IRS. As far as state tax... depends on your state, some states have no income tax.

The exclusion deadline has come and gone, I wonder how many actually followed through. Remember the 14th of April is the deadline for accepting (postmarked by).
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

Default Opt Out

There is a small group that is trying to start another lawsuit with another lawyer because they don't like what is being offered. I believe there is about fifty of them...so at least that many opted out.

Forum Member

I dunno. I saw their website and it only looked like about 2 guys have actually denied the lawsuit and received full membership status.

Forum Member

You may be right. Fifty was just a ballpark number based on their 'membership'. I know that number may be skewed; I was a 'member', but represented guys that were not opting out.

Forum Member

Default Show me the money

This is funny! You know what? Pay me beioutches. I want the cash, because I donít turn down money. WSI is so shady, maybe when some of you guys get a little higher up in the food chain you will see the evidence. I just want money, is that so hard to say. The rest of you high horse riders can turn it downÖ more for me.

Forum Member

Default too funny!!!!!!!

So I found myself bored tonight and decided to see what was new in the old Iraq/WSI/"Combat Firefighter"(LMFAO)/ETC ETC ETC. To my surprise you guys still find time to argue, but not argue, lol. About BullS**t that holds no water or any type of substance. Here are a few things I would like you guys to remember about the reason you were in Iraq. This is the comment I heard the most. I came over here to show my support for the War/Armed Forces. (With the exception of those that served before/prior military service.) They were the only guys that had the balls to say and I quote "I am here to make money".

Wow I just got dragged in............

P.S. Remember the people you worked with some good, some not so good. So think about who you are talking to and trying to get you point across to. If you guys didn't learn that in Iraq, there is no hope for you guys...

I signed a contract stating I would get paid a set amount and received more than what I agreed too. Unlike many of those wanting more money, because you spent it all on your RR's, buying new vehicles, motorcycles, etc. I managed my money and it was well worth it.

I degress, Well lots of love to all and if you get your money and it makes you happy that's you choice. Don't let anyone take that away from you, now if we could let Adam have his thread back it would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything more about this? I thought we were going to start getting some funds by now.

Forum Member

did anyone else get the 'we are sending the check soon' email today?

Forum Member

yeah, I got it

Forum Member

Looks like we are the only ones reading this. If you get a chance to check out the final PDF on the attorney's website, it's a pretty good read.

I guess the guys that tried to fight it got effectively laughed at. Should equal out to about 1500 bucks.

Some guys got awarded 2500 on top of that number.. don't know how they worked that out.

Forum Member

Hey Peter, do you happen to have a link to that attorney website with the pdf file.

Forum Member

Just happen to be checking this site out, I was thinking of going to work for WSI after 33 years as a Federal Firefighter. May I ask one question, why does WSI not have 24 on 24 off shifts? Remember this is a contract to support or replace Military Firefighters or Federal Firefighters. Both military and federals work 24 hour shifts 3 days a week. The reason they donít let you work a 24 is they would have to pay you for a 24, donít matter if you are sleeping, hiding, playing video games or fighting the big one. They are taking a chance and hoping that they will not have to call you on that radio that they make you take to bed at night because they would then have to pay you. I am a manager in the Federal Fire Service, I cannot even require an employee to carry a beeper off duty for the use of recalls without monetarily compensating them. No can do, its illegal. Bottom line, I donít care how much money the employee made while working with WSI. WSI is making even more money from the government and me the Tax Payer. If they are being paid for 24 hours of service then they should be paying their employees for 24 hour service. WSI is not being paid by the call so why should the employee be paid by the call? Thank God way back when the federal government wanted to contract out fire services stateside for all military bases they opened their eyes and seen the light. Would never work for WSI, KBR or any of them. The money is not everything, have some respect for yourself and the career. By the way... if you reply then you understand my spelling and grammer as I see that is a big one on this site. Good grammer and spelling makes you more Knowledgeable.
    Last edited by picafire101; 08-22-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Member

120K sounds good to me it will take you 5 years to make that in the states

Forum Member

I agree...120k sounds like a respectable number to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by picafire101 View Post
    Just happen to be checking this site out, I was thinking of going to work for WSI after 33 years as a Federal Firefighter. May I ask one question, why does WSI not have 24 on 24 off shifts? Remember this is a contract to support or replace Military Firefighters or Federal Firefighters. Both military and federals work 24 hour shifts 3 days a week. The reason they donít let you work a 24 is they would have to pay you for a 24, donít matter if you are sleeping, hiding, playing video games or fighting the big one. They are taking a chance and hoping that they will not have to call you on that radio that they make you take to bed at night because they would then have to pay you. I am a manager in the Federal Fire Service, I cannot even require an employee to carry a beeper off duty for the use of recalls without monetarily compensating them. No can do, its illegal. Bottom line, I donít care how much money the employee made while working with WSI. WSI is making even more money from the government and me the Tax Payer. If they are being paid for 24 hours of service then they should be paying their employees for 24 hour service. WSI is not being paid by the call so why should the employee be paid by the call? Thank God way back when the federal government wanted to contract out fire services stateside for all military bases they opened their eyes and seen the light. Would never work for WSI, KBR or any of them. The money is not everything, have some respect for yourself and the career. By the way... if you reply then you understand my spelling and grammer as I see that is a big one on this site. Good grammer and spelling makes you more Knowledgeable.
    Well, the money may not be everything, but it sure is nice.
    They only people that say things like that, are people that have never been without it.

Fact it, you are off the mark on the way the contract works. I'm not going to get into the particulars of the contract, suffice to say that if a member rolls on a call after hours, they are paid. Plain and simple.

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread, or if you don't understand the argument, but the reason they must carry their assigned radios when off duty is for accountability. These guys are in IRAQ, not BFE national guard fire department. Much, much different environment, and the SSL needs to know where the member is at in the case of incoming or if they are needed for work, in which case they are compensated.

Just few nitpicks as well (since you opened yourself up to them). When you write the type of diatribe presented above, it's best to break up the paragraphs, makes for easier reading and flow.

Not all Federal and Military departments work 24 on 24 off. Get your data straight, most do, but there is a big movement in the DOD/AF world to go to 48 on/72 off, with many departments going in that direction

What light are /they/ seeing? Last I heard DOD is running scared from the contracts, and the contracts are winning. WSI just one every NASA site, with more on the horizon.

Also, if you haven't been over there, it's quite dickish to come on here to judge and condemn those that have made the decision in their lives to contract out.

I also find it funny you spelled 'grammar' wrong when you made such a big deal about it.

Forum Member

Well, may I make one last comment on this thread. In my opinion when it comes to employment, money IS everything. Letís not forget where these people are working. I would hope that they are getting the Big Bucks for the risk that they are taking in a war zone. Not just for working 96 to over 100 hours a week. My god, think about that. Absolutely! you deserve the Big Bucks, hell yes with those hours. Morally for me, I will not let Big Business walk all over me, take advantage of me or the situation. My opinion, WSI is ripping the government and the people that work for them off. Trust me I have known the tactics of this company for a long time. Dealt with them in the early eighties, thought their tactics would change by now, guess I thought wrong.

Donít really care about ďtheirĒ contract. Yes ďtheirĒ contract protects them not the employee.

Yes I did read the whole thread and fully understand the discussion. WOW how naive. Accountability!!

All Federal/AF (state side) firefighters work a 24 hour shift three days a week= a 72 hour work week. Most installations work 24 on 24 off. Yes there is a very few that do the 48/72. Big Movement? I wouldnít call it that at all. This is not a DoD push, strictly an agreement between the FF bargaining unit and the installation.

Back to my original question, why does WSI not use a 24hour shift as all federal and military use??

DoD running scared from contracts? It is Law; Emergency Services can/will NOT be contracted out in DoD (state side). Totally wrong, DoD and the Obama administration have a push on at this moment to go back to federal employees for installation services, plumbers, carpenters etc. NASA is not DoD.

Let me make it perfectly clear to you, I am not jugging or condemning those brothers and sisters. Yes contract firefighters are still my brothers and sisters. I am condemning the employer that takes full advantage of these brother and sisters. Good thing for WSI there is no union for itís employees.

Check your own grammar and spelling.

Forum Member

Le sigh

Another Grammar nazi. Don't really see where i messed up, but feel free to point it out. It's hard to follow you when you are 'jugging' all these guys (i have to assume you meant judging, being that you put such high stock in grammar and spelling)

Originally the contract was filled by splitting 12 hours shifts. This was working for a while, but Tye went to the army and presented another alternative. 16 hour shifts with overtime paid if they responded to a call after hours. Government contracting and the Army agreed to this (as the army was the contract holder). Coverage was still provided, but the guys were not getting paid for sleeping.

At the time it worked, and everyone was making a lot of money. Not many people where in country so they were getting all the hours the wanted.

Fast forward 5 years. More people are on the contract and hours are a hot commodity. Now people are wanting more money. A lawsuit follows. That's about as quick of a rundown as I can give you (i've covered this in this very thread)

We can start a separate thread in the military column for the DOD stuff.. this isn't' really the place for it.

Thread Information