Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Option For WSI Class Action suit

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Adam Hill (SAP#368) I worked for WSI from Jan 2005 till Jan 2006. I am also the person who originally contact Scott Bloch about representing myself and others not happy with our current council and the settlement offer we are being urged to take.

We have been basically given very few options. Either except pennies on the dollar of what we are owed (while Sass and her coworkers get payed what they are owed) or Opt out and risk getting nothing. I didn't like those options, so I found another. After some research I found Scott Bloch. He has some experience dealing with KBR and other contractors. He wants to take our case and will only be paid if he secures a settlement LARGER then the one currently offered.

We already have a contract typed up and enough people signed on with Scott to make a "class' but the more the better. United we stand divided we fall.

For those of you who wish to explore this new option contact me at Lasko189@yahoo.com or contact Scott Bloch. Just be aware you only have till March 30th to opt out or you are stuck with whatever WSI gives you.

Scott J. Bloch, P.A.
    Tarone & McLaughlin, LLP
    1010 Vermont Ave, NW Ste 810
    Washington, DC 20005
    PH: (202) 347-9526
    FAX: (202) 457-6680
    www.bcounsel.com
    sbloch@bcounsel.com

Forum Member

Listen, i don't want to start a flame.
    And i know that this is an emotional issue for some folks. But please, please explain to me what the statement 'get what we are owed' refers to. If i'm not mistaken, you were explained the pay scheme on the way over there. It appears as if you stayed a year and got paid for that as well. I'm just having a hard time understanding the 'owed' part of the equation. How much more do you want. At what point will this be equal compensation, and what exactly are you looking for?
    Please understand that /I'm/ trying to understand this lawsuit, but it just seems to me that people are trying to get money they don't really
    deserve.
    Thanks, and don't turn this ugly, i really want to get to the bottom of this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Many of us, (you might not be included) worked off the clock for WSI. Things like not getting paid to put the truck back in service after a call, being required to wake up in the middle of the night and man a back up apparatus in case we were needed. Thing like being woken up in the middle of the night to listen to the radio you werent allowed to turn off listening to see if you were called, because if you didnt respond even if you were off duty you would be written up. Im sure your aware of all this and even though youre trying to make it out like you dont understand your really just here to stir up ****. But the fact remains WSI was contracted by KBR to provide 24 HOUR fire protection, WSI was PAID to provide 24 hour fire protection, WE PROVIDED 24 HOUR FIRE PROTECTION WE ONLY GOT PAID FOR 12 HOURS OF THAT.

Forum Member

I'm well aware of the contract requirements, and how they came about. I can understand the grips over manning a truck and not being paid or listening to a radio, but i have to ask:
    Why did you not claim over time, and where was the alarm room operator?

From what i understood of the 16's plus overtime, is that Tye presented that option to the Army (the actual contract holder, not KBR) and they bought off on it. WSI then went from the 2 shifts of 12's to the current schedule (you remember those days right, when the Chief was driving a KBR Bus on Taji due to no fire trucks being on the ground)

The whole time i was there, i /never/ was denied over time. I never worked for any time i did not get paid for. I just have issue with the entitlement mentality that seems to run through some of these boards. I got paid for the work i did, i got paid well. WSI/KBR/ARMOR/Xe are all businesses, they have to make a profit, or they would not be employing people. They found a way to do it, good for them. And if they want to give me an extra 1000 bucks for time that i wasn't working (again, i claimed every min of overtime i worked) then i'll take it, but i'm not going to say i deserve more.

Back to the first line though. You may have a valid complaint if you didn't get paid /overtime/ but i don't feel there is much of an argument for the 'i should get paid when i was sleeping, because WSI gets money for me being here' camp.
    I have to ask as well, why didn't you bring it up to the Chief at the time that you deserved OT?

Thanks for keeping it semi professional, i'm really not trying to stir the *****, but i do feel some of the folks need to put some of this in perspective. I appreciate your side of the story, and i do feel you should get paid for time /worked/ but i don't feel we should be pushing for more money for the time that we slept.

MembersZone Subscriber

Peter, are you or have you been anything but a contract firefighter? Most Firefighters are used to 24 on 48. Getting paid to sleep or some nights getting paid to wake up multiple times to go see your frequent flyer is the norm. The difference state side, is when Im "OFF" im not required to carry a radio or still man a truck, I go home and try not to think about work. In Iraq that was impossible.

As far as getting paid over time, I as well as other "tested the waters" a few times by claiming hours we were rightfully owed only to have our time sheets kicked back. If you did this to many times you risked not getting paid on time. So most of us just stopped bothering. We knew WSI wasnt going to start magically paying out for what they had denied over and over.

You bring up alarm room operator. Yeah we had one, we built a dispatch center. What we DIDNT have is the equipment necessary to "tone" out calls. Its alot easier to subconciously listen for your tone then it is to listen for your name or truck assignment.

Forum Member

I was a military Fire Fighter (let the jolly volly vs. military WSI argument begin) and was just paid.
    As for carrying the radio on your days off, that is more of an accountability issue than an issue of response. However, if the the 'big one' did hit then you well know that you would be recalled, and paid.

The overtime/ST3 is a valid issue. As a higher ranking officer, i never denied my guys overtime. Being paid for time worked is the basis of every american idea i believe in, so if that was the case, than go for it. How to prove it though? IR's vs. Time sheets? That should be easy enough. But should you only be reimbursed for the time lost? Or are you trying to claim damages? If you didn't take it up the chain, it's not WSI's fault, it's the SSL's. Can you really hold the company responsible?

As for your last argument - were you on duty? If so i don't see the issue. If it was tones or the Radio, you still would have been woken up, just go back to sleep if the call does not involve you. As a former paid FF, are you saying you were never woken up when another truck was toned out? I find that hard to believe.

So ya, if you can prove the Time worked and not paid, than ya, go for it. But getting paid for the inconvenience of the tones/radios going off. I'm sure you can see my skepticism on that being a valid avenue of complaint. What is next, claiming the Helo's were keeping you up on your day off, so you should get paid?

As for you Civilian vs. contract argument, and i hate to bring this up, but you were paid /a lot/ more (unless you were a BC for a major city) than you ever made in the civvie world for the certain pains in the @ss you experienced (tony i know). And again, how much will be enough. I was there for two years, how much should i get? When will it be enough?

I like to add something because I believe some are coming into these forums and on facebook trying to mislead others.

For starters, people are bitching that our lawfirm is being paid a million dollars, while we may only get $1,200 or so. the gripe is they appear to be given a huge sum compared to us.

STOP AND THINK - this lawfirm had to stay afloat for us for over 3 years. They never took any moniey from us and worked on the auspice of "only collect if we win". So they risked over 3 years of work and stood to get nothing. Now think for a minute.

$1,000,000 divided into 3 is $333,333 per year
    They had to pay salaries, reimburse for travels, pay all related business expenses (supplies, utilities, etc.) All knowing they may never collect a dime!

In no way am I connected to this lawfirm other than a name in the class action suit. I am defending them due to the few who continually bad-mouth them. I further have an serious issue with the few who are crying over this settlement. You make it sound like you are broke, poor and not deserving unless it is an amount unrealistic in these types of cases.

Now for my second part of this:

Before you comment, look in the mirror and think. I know full well no one worked all 16 hrs per day 6 or 7 days per week. We worked MAYBE 4 hours a day (this is avg. some did work a little more). Even sitting in dispatch you surfed the internet most of the time. Now you are bitching about awaken in the middle of the night. How many times this actually happen? Before you answer think of those times during paid hours you sat on your *** playing video games, laying out by the pool (for you Taji boys), surfing the web, etc. I can continue but I mentioned Taji because I worked stateside with some who was there from 05-06 and one of my LT's came from Taji.

Some of us had to endure mud and tent living, while others had luxuries of stations and individual quarters. Some of us had to transfer 2 or 3 times, while others never moved. I was paid well and made $114,000 for my year when I went thinking of only making 90k.

However, good luck on your quest to get what you and others feel they deserve. I simply do not see it. I admit, at the onset of this lawsuit I was all for screwing WSI and was dreaming of 5 figure pay day but as time went on I realized I was paid all my hours I put in for and given way more hours than I expected and worked.

Peace
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok my next question then, if its NOT about money to you, then why did agree to be a class rep? And if its NOT about money why not let the Arbitrator make an actual judgement? Even if you end up getting nothing at least you will have an actual judgement not just a pitiful offer by WSI.

What I want MORE then money is for WSI to have to publically answer for there screwed up labor practices. Yeah we got paid good, the point is WSI treated us like property and easily replaceable at that. If I was told I will not recieve a dime, but WSI will not be allowed to contract with KBR or DOD ever again, id say AWESOME.

Forum Member

Default Get on with Life

Here is a big issue most, if not all, will run into. If it was so bad, you were treated so unfairly/poorly, etc., why did you not quit. And, why did many return for multiple years. You know why? Cause it wasn't really that bad. There is no love lost between WSI and I....I assure you that I am not a fan. But give me a break. We made a lot of money and did very little in the big scheme of things. 75 percent of the firefighters there should be embarrassed to even call themselves firefighters...fat turds playing Halo. It seems so many can't move on with their lives and harbor a resentment towards WSI that they will just not let go. What small lives you must lead. It's not worth it, get on with your life. Don't spout integrity and principal to me either, I don't buy it. What a f*cking joke; I didn't think I could be any more embarrassed than I already was being associated with WSI and the 'tards I worked with there (that doesn't apply to the handful of good people I worked beside). Take a hard look in the mirror.

Forum Member

Default Lmao

Here is some interesting info on the proposed lawyer for the new suit.....integrity?....princip al?....hahahahaha!! You guys kill me, I don't know why I pay for cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Bloch

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Outdispiece View Post
    Here is some interesting info on the proposed lawyer for the new suit.....integrity?....princip al?....hahahahaha!! You guys kill me, I don't know why I pay for cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Bloch
    You should be embarrassed that you quoted from wikipedia. Myself and others have brought up Scott's past and he has explained himself and provided documentation in his defense. With Scotts permission this documentation will be hosted over on firesettlementinfo.com If you did further research besides just a simple google search you would find there are two sides to the story just like there are two sides to this settlement.

If you left wsi and your time there in the past, why are you even in here?

Forum Member

Default Oooh....good one

I left my resentment for WSI in the past. I'm still actively involved in the current lawsuit, and have been all along. Maybe you should have done the same. I'm sure Scott Bloch provided plenty of documentation and I bet he is a peach of a guy. Speaking of embarrassed, try a little spell check once in a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, I didnt say much about your previous post, but you are a real *******. Calling your fellow firefighters "fat turds playing halo" if you didnt like WSI or your fellow firemen so much why didnt you DEMOB. Im sure those "fat turds" didnt like you or your attitude that much either. I believe it is YOU who needs to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what makes you so special and better then all the "fat turds" and "tards" you worked with.

I could care less about your opinion. This thread isnt for you. Its for everyone who does not wish to accept the settlement. No matter if there reason is because they want to see justice or they want more money. I may never see a dime, I dont care. But im doing what I think is right, and there are alot of people right behind me.

Forum Member

The principle thing is hard for me to buy off on. If you stand by your principles so much i have to ask why you didn't stand up to the evil WSLLC during you time in country. If you had that strong of convictions you would have said and done more for yourself while you were there. I don't know who your Chief or A/C was, but most of them were pretty reasonable, and if they weren't approachable, they were at least scared to death of losing their jobs, probably more than you. Even the slightest whisper of a complaint against them would send them in panic mode. You could have fought the good fight while you were there. Instead you collected your pay, and waited till you left to get some more money.
    The second thing is the choice of Attorney's. I mean, come on! You say he's addressed the issue, but all i've read is that if his 'past' gets in the way then someone else in the firm will take the case.
    Anyone with principles, standards, scruples, or convictions would never, never truck with that type of attorney. This is in direct contradiction to your stance as a man with strong principles and a seeker of justice. Just not seeing it.

Enough of that though. I've followed the treads and the websites, and i can't find any other reason outside of the money that is actually motivating you folks. I just wish you were more honest with yourself and others as to your driving force. To see justice done? Did WSI really do you that wrong? I find that hard to believe. You didn't get a few hours overtime? Is that really reason enough to harbor this type of resentment?

You've been very level headed during the debate, and i appreciate that.

Looking forward to you reply.
    pete

Forum Member

Thumbs up Debate?

I myself never saw where Lasko 189 in the heading put "New Option For WSI Class Action suit debate" if you would like to debate this subject, then a good idea would be to start a thread. I would be glad to meet anyone there.

On the question of him having principle, we all know that had Lasko 189 said something while he was there, he would have been told he had 2 options, option 1 "Chicken or Beef", option 2 "Window or Aisle". Lasko 189 states he was over there in 05' and I have seen a contract for 2005 and the way it reads he should be paid for 24 hours a day. This is why WSI wants to settle. The reason they are waiting until July to approve is because they want to see how many people sign off on it, if it is a very high number they will sign off, if it is a small number then they will not sign off because it would still leave them open to many lawsuits.

I would like to add, if any here are so high and mighty and do not mind not getting paid for what was stated in your contract, I am sure I can find many more unscrupulous companies who will have you sign a contract stating you will be paid 12 hours a day and only pay you 8 hours or 24/16 for that matter.

I would also like to add, who's business is it that Lasko 189 is bringing about a lawsuit against WSI? He was only here stating options for his firefighting brothers/sisters who feel they were decieved the same way.

In closing, I hope I did not misspell too many word's, forgot to punctuate correctly or forgot a period somewhere so I will be lambasted for it and not for context of what I wrote.

Good luck Lasko189, do what you need to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lasko189 View Post
    Wow, I didnt say much about your previous post, but you are a real *******. Calling your fellow firefighters "fat turds playing halo" if you didnt like WSI or your fellow firemen so much why didnt you DEMOB. Im sure those "fat turds" didnt like you or your attitude that much either. I believe it is YOU who needs to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what makes you so special and better then all the "fat turds" and "tards" you worked with.

I could care less about your opinion. This thread isnt for you. Its for everyone who does not wish to accept the settlement. No matter if there reason is because they want to see justice or they want more money. I may never see a dime, I dont care. But im doing what I think is right, and there are alot of people right behind me.
    Well...it's true...there were some fat turds playing halo....ha ha

Forum Member

Contract,
    you say you wish to debate, yet you do not address any of the issues that have been presented.
    1. Is it only for the money?

2. Please produce the contract. Many of the people included in the lawsuit did not work in 05-06, does this mean that the new 'do not send in the paper work' argument will only apply to the early contract holders? Everyone, and I mean everyone, was clear to me on how i would be paid for my two years over there. My contract reflected those agreements

3. If it is about more than that (principles) how can you justify being represented by a person that represents anything /but/ strong moral principles.

4. If the contract argument falls through, what else will you fall back on. According to Mr. Hill the reason he is pursuing the money is due to lost over time, how will you prove this allegation.

Just as a side note. The only time i ever heard Chicken or Beef while was over there, or even said it to the fire fighters was in a GO 1 violation situation. It's unfortunate that you encountered such a bad chain of command, but i'm sure if the issue would have been pressed Big T or Wayne would have been forced to hear you out and the overtime would have more then likely been awarded (have fun with that time sheet).

This all comes down to people wanting more money, something i have no issue with, but they should work for the money they want, not just expect to get something for free. It seems to me that is what is going on here. If this is not the case, please present your point.

Look forward to your reply, I won't destroy your poor use of grammar or spelling, so feel free to type away.
    pete

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess you guys have never heard that theres two sides to every story. What you can find by doing a simple Google search of "Scott Bloch" is not the entire story. And if you believe everything you read with no reservations, send me your name and address I have some business ventures for you! For those of you with an open mind who know what happens when you **** off someone in the political world, do alittle more research and you will find another side to the story. I did and the gist of what I read is that Blochs fellow government workers and politicians wanted to add words to the law which were not needed as there were already provisions for the same things that they wanted to add, just in different wording. And they wanted to add rules/laws that the already established law did not cover, and do so without following the correct procedure to introduce a new law. These laws just so happened to effect gays and lesbian. Scott did his job and did not let the government overstep its bounds. And he did it on a subject most would be to afraid to be associated with. Scott is not anti-gay and if anyone looked into it they would find he is friends with several gay rights members. Attacking Scott character because you do not agree with me is disgusting.

For those of you pretty much labeling me as greedy, have you accepted the settlement? If so why didnt you opt out? Because your saying you didnt earn the money, so then why take it? When you can instead just opt out and forget about the WHOLE thing and leave it behind you.

As for getting paid only what we earned, there is ALOT of unanswered questions about that. The fact STILL remains WSI got 24 hours of fire coverage and only paid for 12 to 16 hours of it. And I believe WSI was paid for that 24 hours of fire coverage. If they werent well then somebody got alot of free labor. For those of you who dont think we shouldnt get paid more then 12 hours a day and should have done the rest for free I gotta ask, have you ever been a career 24/48 firefighter? If so I think you need to pay back the city or county all that money they pay you while you sleep at the staion. Most career firefighter get ****ed off if they have to stay even 15 minutes past there shift, let alone having to be on call 24/7. If I could have turned my radio off and not been expected to be in an "at ready" condition on my time off, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Forum Member

The fact that people /have/ done research is what is causing us to view your choice of counsel unappealing. We are not attacking the man, merely pointing out well documented cases of his checkered past. This, political or not, is off putting to say the least. Can we say that maybe while at the OSC he was targeted, sure, but for all those things to go down, and still be under investigation by the FBI? There are two sides to every story, yes, but the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, and his middle is still to far on the bad side for me to side with him.

As for the money? I didn't send mine in, i made /a lot/ of money off of WSI. I was going to send it in initially, but i've since changed my mind, thanks to these conversations. I couldn't with good conscious receive money i didn't earn. That goes against everything i believe in.
    I made money, and the company i worked for made money, i see no problem in this equation.

The more we sue people, businesses, employers over nonsense, the less they will hire and the more people will be out of work.

They found a way to make money and still offer a competitive wage = capitalism.

MembersZone Subscriber

If they had put in the contract that we all signed that we would be required to be on call while off duty, and then went on to include in the wording that we may be required to keep a radio with us at all times, that we may be assigned to a truck and not allowed to go anywhere with out the truck and rest of the crew assigned to that truck, and that we would not be paid for those hours, we wouldnt be having this conversation. But in actuality I do not believe they would be allowed to put that, as employeers are required to pay employees during these times.

Thread Information