Thread: Rope Rescue

Forum Member

Default Rope Rescue

Anyone have any advice for Rope Rescue Equipment and Training Grant? Even a successful narrative would be helpful. Email jasnicgames@gmail.com.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasnic0510 View Post
    Anyone have any advice for Rope Rescue Equipment and Training Grant? Even a successful narrative would be helpful. Email jasnicgames@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Is this a new mission or new risk?
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Is this a new mission or new risk?
    Bugle that was funny to me. I was thinking at my age it would be a risk.

Forum Member

Default Existing Risk

We cover a large State Park in Indiana that also has a large reservoir. We want to get into open water rescue and a pre requisite for it is rope rescue. Which Rope rescue will be very benicial due to agricultural grain bins, ravines in the state park on trails, and water rescue itself. Any ideas? Or would I be risking to much to ask for everything, rope and water training and equipment

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasnic0510 View Post
    We cover a large State Park in Indiana that also has a large reservoir. We want to get into open water rescue and a pre requisite for it is rope rescue. Which Rope rescue will be very benicial due to agricultural grain bins, ravines in the state park on trails, and water rescue itself. Any ideas? Or would I be risking to much to ask for everything, rope and water training and equipment
    There is a fine line between existing mission, new mission and new risk. If I was a PR reading this, it implies a new mission. Even though a play on words "want" does not imply "need", but something we want to try. I guess a few more questions are in order.

1) Have you had any incidents of the type described that bring focus for the need? If so, how were they handled?

2) Are there any other agencies providing this type of service?

3) Why now and not last year, 5 years ago or 10 years ago?

4) Is this type of rescue work identified in SOG/SOP's?

How this type of request is percieved by others will be important as an existing mission has top priority, a new risk second and new mission the lowest.

In regard to the original question that would not be too much as rope rescue training is a requirement for water rescue along with the equipment needed to perform safely.

There may be one potential issue though in regard to PPE for water rescue scenarios. NFPA 1952 went into effect in December 2009 setting the requirements for various PPE for water rescue. All of the manufacturers that I have contacted have stated that compliance will not happen any time soon if at all. It all boils down to $$$'s and it may not be cost effective to reach that compliance. Only time will tell if it happens. So getting compliant PPE could become an issue as well.

Thread Information