Forum Member

Default Globe 14" Structural Fire Boot?

Hi,

I have started work recently (Nov 2008) on a volunteer department. We get a token amount as paid on call which I stick in an account to go towards new gear.

A few guys recommended that a pair of good boots would be one of the best investments I could make. Looking around the 14" Structural Fire Boot by Globe come well recommended.

I am in Canada and there is no local dealer near me I can find. Does anyone have any experience with these boots particulary with the sizing.

My official size is 9 1/2 which is a snug fit with most work boots. I know there can be variation. So before I order was wondering if anyone found they were for example they needed 1/2 a size bigger than usual.

Anyways thanks for any help

John

Forum Member

John,

Start looking harder... There are tonnes of fire equipment dealers in Canada, however, Safedesign out of Toronto is the only dealer of Globe equipment in most provinces, however if you live in BC Guillevin does also sell according to Globe's site...

Personally I've slipped on a set of Globe boots and found them more comfortable than the running shoes I was wearing at the time!

Forum Member

Thanks CanadianFyrTrks, I checked out Guillevin and there is a place in Edmonton. I called em and next time I am down that way I can try on.

Will see what the price is like there. If it sucks at least I know my size and can order online from the US.

Would rather give a Canadian place the business but it depends on the markup.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverCL View Post
    Thanks CanadianFyrTrks, I checked out Guillevin and there is a place in Edmonton. I called em and next time I am down that way I can try on.

Will see what the price is like there. If it sucks at least I know my size and can order online from the US.

Would rather give a Canadian place the business but it depends on the markup.

If you are going out for your first pair of boots, I suggest you get your feet sized out appropriately as some boots size differently than others out there.

Another tip for you, I'm in the prairies and spend alot of time in my boots.... buy a pair that you can expect to spend the coldest days in... we get into the minus digits 6 months of the year easily

KEEP WARM!

Forum Member

You can not go wrong with the Globe boots. THEY ARE THE MOST COMFORTABLE BOOT I HAVE EVER WORN. Sure they're a little pricy (300-320 range), but it's well worth it. They hold up to just about anything and everything. When people tell you they fit and feel like a tennis shoe...they really do. It's unbelievable.

I've had mine since the month they came out, and after a bit of cleaning up, they look almost brand new. And they have been seeing 1500+ calls a year and 45-50 working fires each year.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't have a pair of the way overpriced wierd looking POS. The Globes have glue sole so can't be repaired/resoled. They will stretch (glued sole) so don't buy them huge. Glue is for tennis shoes not protective WORK wear.

The Globes do not have steel toe and steel plate. Plastic both places. Real boots have steel.

Real leather boots need a break in period. That's that way it is. Wear them for a week and they will mold to your foot. You can't hack that stick to flipflops.

You want a VALUE boot with a lot of features for the $ the new Thorogood leather is worth a look. Sewn sole, steel plate/toe, padded on the front of the upper, rubber toe/heal caps. Nice boot for around $200.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I wouldn't have a pair of the way overpriced wierd looking POS. The Globes have glue sole so can't be repaired/resoled.
    Seeing as most people are claiming years of high volume use with no issues, i do not see what the big deal is. And maybe you have, but i have never had to re-sole bunker boots. I have a pair of rubber boots approaching 10 years old that still have plenty of life in them and my 3 year old leather boots are fine. The argument they cannot be re-soled when you will likley never have a reason to re-sole them is kind of pointless.

Glue is for tennis shoes not protective WORK wear.
    Opinion, not a fact. Modern adhesives work fine. They assemble some airplanes using adhesives, it is certainly up to the task for a pair of boots. I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with Globe boots coming apart anyhow.

The Globes do not have steel toe and steel plate. Plastic both places. Real boots have steel.
    Plastic is better. For one, it's lighter and It does not conduct heat or cold. Any decent pair of cold weather safetey toe boots will be composite for that reason. And it meets the same standards as the steel. So the argument is not even there. If steel was a requirement for the ANSI rating, they would be using it.

Forum Member
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

i personnaly would think a training class would be a better investment than boots, unless the boots you have don't meet minimum safety standards, then get the boots.

Forum Member

I wouldn't have a pair of the way overpriced wierd looking POS. The Globes have glue sole so can't be repaired/resoled. They will stretch (glued sole) so don't buy them huge. Glue is for tennis shoes not protective WORK wear.

Real leather boots need a break in period. That's that way it is. Wear them for a week and they will mold to your foot. You can't hack that stick to flipflops.

You want a VALUE boot with a lot of features for the $ the new Thorogood leather is worth a look. Sewn sole, steel plate/toe, padded on the front of the upper, rubber toe/heal caps. Nice boot for around $200.
    I disagree. Our department issues Globe boots. I have never had a problem and think they are just as comfortable as a pair of sneakers. I never heard anyone else complain either and this is in a department that runs over 150,000 calls every year. So they definitely get used.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverCL View Post
    Hi,

I have started work recently (Nov 2008) on a volunteer department. We get a token amount as paid on call which I stick in an account to go towards new gear.

A few guys recommended that a pair of good boots would be one of the best investments I could make. Looking around the 14" Structural Fire Boot by Globe come well recommended.

I am in Canada and there is no local dealer near me I can find. Does anyone have any experience with these boots particulary with the sizing.

My official size is 9 1/2 which is a snug fit with most work boots. I know there can be variation. So before I order was wondering if anyone found they were for example they needed 1/2 a size bigger than usual.

Anyways thanks for any help

John
    Hi John,

One of the guys on my department recently purchased the new globe supremes. We wWe got into a discussion about them after he had been wearing them about a week, and he seemed to really like them alot. He didn't really comment much on sizing, but so far they seem to be decent boots.

Thread Information